24 | Joško Gvardiol - 2023/24

• Thread starter BrazilianGus
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good recently. The only thing I am slightly annoyed ... he clearly favours to pass to Kova much more than other teammates. Sometimes it is good choice but many times not. And the opposition sometimes targets Kova as the trap when he gets the ball. (E.g. Arsenal) At first I thought it was just a coincidence but as the season goes on and more and more left side combinations have played it becomes obvious. His passing pattern is significant different when playing with Bernado VS Kova. And no one can question about Bernardo receiving ability.

Again maybe I am too sensitive but an early red flag of playing forming a small party... unfair to other players (especially midfielders) in the competition.

Other than that ...what a signing!

Very good recently. The only thing I am slightly annoyed ... he clearly favours to pass to Kova much more than other teammates. Sometimes it is good choice but many times not. And the opposition sometimes targets Kova as the trap when he gets the ball. (E.g. Arsenal) At first I thought it was just a coincidence but as the season goes on and more and more left side combinations have played it becomes obvious. His passing pattern is significant different when playing with Bernado VS Kova. And no one can question about Bernardo receiving
I assume his playing pattern is different when it’s Kova vs Benarndo because they’re different players/formations.

But the reality is they’ve barely played together, so I don’t think it’s something that increasing. Other than last night, they’ve only played three league games together - Newcastle, Sheffield, and Arsenal - so mostly early season games.

Very, very sound at the back. I also particularly like his anticipation, which allows him to intercept balls very early. Haven't seen much of the attacking stuff which people raved about yet, although he had a whack on goal that was definitely going in if it hadn't been blocked.

People keep talking him up to play the Stones role, but I see him slightly differently. He's more of a powerhouse, great at playing the ball out, great at carrying the ball out, but also seems pretty handy on the overlap, which is a surprise.

Personally, I'd let him just create his own role under Pep, the Josko role. We've not had a great left back for years... EVER. He could be just that.

Pep just said in his presser that Gvardiol can't play in midfield. Said he "hasn't seen it in training". Said that Stones can only do it because they've spent 8 years together, and that Josko might be able to in the future cos he's only young but he can't now

Never know like, he could just be saying that to throw people off, but that's what he just said in the presser

Pep just said in his presser that Gvardiol can't play in midfield. Said he "hasn't seen it in training". Said that Stones can only do it because they've spent 8 years together, and that Josko might be able to in the future cos he's only young but he can't now

Never know like, he could just be saying that to throw people off, but that's what he just said in the presser
I think it was genuine and he’s not ready yet. It sounds like they’re trying to add it to his skillset with those drills.

I think it was genuine and he’s not ready yet. It sounds like they’re trying to add it to his skillset with those drills.
i agree. such an important role after so little time never seemed like a real possibility to me. but i liked hearing that they’re already training for the future.

I've said this before but I think it's easy to underestimate just how tough it is to do what Stones does in the midfield. Having everything in front of you as a traditional CB versus receiving the ball on the half-turn with players breathing down your back is almost a different game altogether. Stones is truly a unique player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.