27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was always going to be a slow burn. He felt like a 3rd choice signing that's maybe a bit of a gamble and won't make an immediate impact but strong chance of paying off long term.

I don't think that's changed. I imagine we expected to ease kovacic in who would click very quickly and then slow game Nunes' play time with the intention of him being a proper option next season and beyond.

The injury to kdb shifted everybody up a rank and the new lads just aren't ready for it yet with injuries stifling them further.

I really feel for him. I think fans have been tough on all the new signings this year (maybe with the exception of Doku). There seems to be this expectation they should come in and be starters, but I don’t know how you possibly come in a replace anyone of the starters from last year - all world class with the benefit of experience together. And then when they do get starts it’s with heavily rotated squads with little chemistry.

It feels like an impossible balance - how do you find people to be a solid fill-in for anyone on this team, yet also be fine to sit on the bench for the majority of the time. I know they come to City to learn from Pep and win trophies but it’s got to be hard going from being the star on your team to a bench player. And obviously for Nunes this recent injury just sets him back further.

Look forward to him balling out. I get a Yaya Toure vibe about him. Especially when he turns and runs with the ball. I'd like to see that incorporated back into the team.

He is a very talented player that fans seem to take a while before they start liking him.

He could be the next Yaya Toure or Ilkay Gundogan (by that, I mean a player many don't like at the beginning but later grow to love). Many forget now how despised those two were at the beginning of their time at City. Fans were constantly whining about how they weren't good enough. Only for both to leave as legends and folks to whine about how we are going to replace them. Perhaps he wont leave as a legend, but I can easily see fans wondering in 4 years how we are going to replace what he does.

History will repeat itself again I believe... Just give it time :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.