27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

Nunes is a talented player.
The reason why people get obsessed with him, you don't know what is his next move.
He has a set P = Performence ={action|all the things he can do} = {a b c d e f g h i j k..}
He should simplify his set P to a smaller size.
Pick some simple and effective elements from it.

Absolutely dreadful performance. Just rank bad. He's got nothing about him at all.
Panic buying isn't a good thing particularly when you can't get your money back.
He's a liability. We looked 100% better after he was subbed.
Out of his depth at elite level.
Remember Rodri's first season? He was absolutely bobbins! I thought he was slow and cumbersome always playing it safe. I thought he wasn't good enough to make it nevermind becoming best DM in world football. Took him best part of 2 seasons to establish himself and look at him now, bossing it!

I'm ambivalent on Nunes, i think he needs a season to settle in and adapt to how we play. Certainly far too early to write him off as i did with Rodri. Hopefully he'll come good, and so will Nunes; )

He has a very limited skillset. He can carry the ball really well and is very athletic. I wasn't a fan of the signing when it happened and he's done nothing to win me over since.

Incredibly frustrating to watch, especially when even his simple passes show so little appreciation to the recipient. He just chooses a general direction to play it in and kicks it without much thought.

That being said, he has really good foundations to build on. If he improves on those simple things and actually concentrates when he's not dribbling then he could be an important squad player.

But I really hope we get our recruitment right when we next go in for a midfielder. We've become accustomed to the likes of David Silva, Kevin de Bruyne and Ilkay Gundogan and I don't like that we've spent the last two years settling for the likes of Kovacic, Nunes and Kalvin. Those players showed moments of quality at former clubs but they are borderline incomparable to the players they replaced and it was blindingly obvious to anyone actually paying attention.

He has a very limited skillset. He can carry the ball really well and is very athletic. I wasn't a fan of the signing when it happened and he's done nothing to win me over since.

Incredibly frustrating to watch, especially when even his simple passes show so little appreciation to the recipient. He just chooses a general direction to play it in and kicks it without much thought.

That being said, he has really good foundations to build on. If he improves on those simple things and actually concentrates when he's not dribbling then he could be an important squad player.

But I really hope we get our recruitment right when we next go in for a midfielder. We've become accustomed to the likes of David Silva, Kevin de Bruyne and Ilkay Gundogan and I don't like that we've spent the last two years settling for the likes of Kovacic, Nunes and Kalvin. Those players showed moments of quality at former clubs but they are borderline incomparable to the players they replaced and it was blindingly obvious to anyone actually paying attention.

Gundogan was far from being popular before 20/21, which was his 4th (!) season at the club. Some on here wanted to swap him for Aouar (?) after 19/20.

Nunes is far better than you give him credit for. Pep wouldn't have started him in such an important and difficult game if he was as raw/average as you describe him. He has different qualities than the other midfielders and will only get better. With him in the team we had about 15 shots, 12 already in the first half. We were playing well, they scored against the run of play.

Last edited:
Gundogan was far from being popular before 20/21, which was his 4th (!) season at the club. Some on here wanted to swap him for Aouar (?) after 19/20.

Nunes is far better than you give him credit for. Pep wouldn't have started him in such an important and difficult game if he was as raw/average as you describe him. He has,different qualities and will only get better. With him in the team we had about 15 shots, 12 already in the first half.

I'm not really bothered what anyone thought of Gundogan. He'd shown his quality for years before he'd even joined us. Nunes didn't, outside of the occasional outlier game for Wolves, where he got space to run and counterattack into. Or when we battered Sporting in the Champions League and he got space to run and counterattack into.

I don't see how anyone could describe him as anything other than raw right now. Is that really being harsh? It's not like I've got anything against him and don't want him to succeed, it's just what I see every time he plays for us.

Remember Rodri's first season? He was absolutely bobbins! I thought he was slow and cumbersome always playing it safe. I thought he wasn't good enough to make it nevermind becoming best DM in world football. Took him best part of 2 seasons to establish himself and look at him now, bossing it!

I'm ambivalent on Nunes, i think he needs a season to settle in and adapt to how we play. Certainly far too early to write him off as i did with Rodri. Hopefully he'll come good, and so will Nunes; )
This logic seems familiar to when rags want the bald Ole to stay because "Klopp and Baconface didn't win anything anything in the beginning either, so if we just give him time he will achieve success" despite its more or less nothing that speaks for that to happen more than just hope.

I think any comparisons with Rodri is a bit silly, Rodri came from being a key player in Atletico Madrid, a team that finished 2nd in La Liga, 8 pts ahead of Real Madrid. Nunes turns 26 this year and has never had a successful season in a top5 league and only had 1 season as a regular starter in Sporting, a team we beat 5-0 away that season.

I'm just a stupid fan, but unlike players like Rodri/Gundo who had proved themselves on high level before, I don't think its much that speaks for that Nunes will turn great if we just give him time. Didn't understand the signing at all in the summer considering he looked mediocre in Wolves and after half a season here he has even managed to underachieve my already very low expectations.

With that said, he is our player and I obviously hope some kind of miracle happens and that he can at least become decent for us over time.

When it clicks for him he makes everything look very simple.
Running at / away from people with the ball he can look unstoppable.
He has plenty of good attributes but my issue with him atm is that he drifts in and out of games which is never good but for a central midfielder, is bordering on criminal.

He reminds me of rat face from Trafford , a bit gormless is his expression and I am yet to be fully convinced.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.