Aguero's disallowed goal

If you watch the City extended highlights, he's clearly offside (around 4mins in) https://www.mancity.com/citytv/matc...o-cup-final-chelsea-highlights-video-extended

The VAR line they showed during the game was a fraction before the pass is made in my opinion and made him level.
The VAR line is what they made the decision on and therefore it’s onside. His foot is the most upfield part of his body and is level with the foot of the defender. Where either of their bodies are is immaterial. As are any imagines that don’t show the blue VAR lines.

The law states 'at the moment the ball is touched'.

UEFA clarified that last year and said that it is when the player making the pass has his first contact with the ball (accepting that the foot can be in contact with the ball for say a third of a second when the ball is played to the player in the offside position).

No, I don't have any more info. He seems pretty on the ball in terms of VAR so I took his work for it

Fair enough. Perhaps indicative of the secrecy about the whole thing (as evidenced by refusing to let fans in the stadium know what the hell is going on) that his comment is all you've seen about it.

Why can't it be put on the big screen so everyone fans, players, managers and the Ref see the same thing - stop this hiding, this secrecy, if there is nothing to hide let's all see it if nothing else it would reduce the paranoia I feel that they are trying to shaft us. Let refs explain decision during (via mic) or afterwards, of course they will get things wrong but they do now, but they will get more respect for being honest and open.
This all day long.
Bring some accountability into the game, and keep the paying customers informed.

In principle it is, but it relies entirely on when you judge the ball to have been passed, and the cameras aren't high speed ones. A tiny fraction of a second can make a huge difference when it's very close, and the freeze frame may not be the optimal point to judge. It's a limitation of the technology and I'm absolutely fine with that if the decision is made in the game that this is how we should accept it and just go with that. It's the pretence that the system as currently constituted decides it's a question of fact that I have a problem with, because it doesn't.

Mentioned earlier that the referee on sky said they have a system that freezes it the exact time the ball leaves the players foot to pass! After looking at it again sergio is ofside by mm

I reckon he's about the width of this boot leather offside. His foot looks just just slightly closer to the goal than the defenders.

I have said in the past that due to the speed of the game it would be better to change the offside rule, a linesman can not watch for an offside this marginal if he is also looking at when the pass is being played. I would argue for the following changes.
Offsides only to apply once you get to the 18 yard line.
A player should only be offside if there is clear daylight between the torso of the attacker and the defender,

In both cases i believe it would help the Linesman to make the decision as well as give any benefit of doubt to the attacking team, surely this is what the game is all about, I would rather yeterday's game finish 1:1 assuming that Hazard went on to score rather than 0:0 and all this talk of margins.
Also by having the daylight between the Torso rule it would make any VAR call more accurate.

Mentioned earlier that the referee on sky said they have a system that freezes it the exact time the ball leaves the players foot to pass! After looking at it again sergio is ofside by mm

I accept totally that it does change things if this is correct.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.