Aguero's disallowed goal

Aguero's heel does look to be level with Rudiger's but his arse looks a few inches closer to the goal, which makes him offside as there's no rule against scoring with your arse.
If his arse is closer to the goal then that would be true. But is it? I don't think you can can say with any certainty hence the goal should have been given. I really hope VAR is using better images and systems otherwise we might as well go back to relying on the match-officials instantaneous view of the game.

I thought the benefit was supposed to favour the attacking player when it is 50-50

That was the original blarb they gave years ago but in the meantime its changed to be whatever they need it to be dependant on the player, teams involved.

VAR in its current form is a load of bollocks it really is and swap sides and players out yesterday and i will wager the same officials give that goal and all without having to explain themselves in the same way they dont have to explain why we didn't get it.

I can't be sure either way from that picture , but we don't even know whether that's the picture VAR uses so I don't know either way. Maybe it would be a good idea for the images used for VAR decisions to be released after the games.

If his arse is closer to the goal then that would be true. But is it? I don't think you can can say with any certainty hence the goal should have been given. I really hope VAR is using better images and systems otherwise we might as well go back to relying on the match-officials instantaneous view of the game.
His legs below the knee look more or less straight but above the knee more angled, compensated by his body leaning slightly forward, so I would say it is. It's close though. If VAR was to prove the linesman hadn't made a clear mistake, it did its job. If it it was to determine whether a goal should have been given, it's too close to be absolutely sure without a view straight down the line.

That was the original blarb they gave years ago but in the meantime its changed to be whatever they need it to be dependant on the player, teams involved.

VAR in its current form is a load of bollocks it really is and swap sides and players out yesterday and i will wager the same officials give that goal and all without having to explain themselves in the same way they dont have to explain why we didn't get it.
Until they use it the same as Rugby making it fully transparent, it will always have "dodgy decisions"

VAR is great but as expected if the same corrupt officials are the ones reviewing it then we will end up with the same dodgy calls the only difference is we will get to see a replay of us being robbed so more insult to injury.

Again, try reading the previous posters comment and then look at Aguero in the picture. It’s absolutely nothing to do with angles, it’s all to do with Sergio’s body position. You’re trying to fight a battle without knowing what you’re talking about, then trying to use a completely different incident to prove your point and just looking like a fool.

The picture on page 5 proves what the poster said is a lie, there is no ifs or bugs, it’s a complete and utter fabrication that he’s tried to use by suggesting it was shown on a Portuguese stream no one else will have seen but you’re that set against it you’ll fight anybody.

The poster of that picture said it was offside?

Moving on to your attack on @shevtheblue

I can 100% guarantee there are two different feeds. They have access to most of the same cameras during the game but have individual directors in their respective TV trucks choosing which cameras they show at any particular point. Sky have their own, and a company called Pitch provide their own for international coverage. I was at the game and haven't seen either feeds in their entirety. I've only seen the highlights on Sky thus far.

If Sky had access to an angle to help simpletons see it was offside more easily, I would have expected them to show it, but I'm not sure how you can say with 100% certainty that the Portuguese one didn't, unless you were watching the international stream yourself.

I used the John Stones incident v Liverpool to evidence how significant the angle of the camera is, and if you can't appreciate that or refuse to accept it, its your problem and nobody elses.

Aguero was offside yesterday. If any part of your body that you can play the ball with is beyond the last defender then its offside, and the majority of Aguero is offside.

Most people living in the real world can see it and has accepted that. Its just you in your tinfoil hat, begging for vindication that theres an agenda. There isn't.

You can't tell. That's my conclusion too and hence if that image was part of the VAR review then the goal should have stood. If you can't determine whether Aguero is goal-side or not, from that image then that suggests he's level.

A good job it didn't matter in the end but having seen two VAR calls for City in days go against us, and two VAR calls go in favour of Real Madrid, I am thinking that human interpretation is biased. The goal-lone technology, and the hawkeye in tennis are perfect applications of technology to sport, but VAR doesn't seem to be ready. The images and decisions should at the very least be accountable and open afterwards so we can assess whether it works. If they are not making that info available to football fans, then I hope at some level someone is checking that the right decisions were made. I hope City are asking questions too because we can't assume that someone else is.

If I were a journalist I'd be looking at the implementation of VAR and analysing the calls, and seeing which teams benefited and what the success rate was etc. Anecdotally, the most popular club Real Madrid has been the major beneficiary, and the most unpopular club Man City, the biggest loser in recent days which in of itself should set alarm bells ringing.

I agree with the 2nd part of your argument (I e. Seeing which teams get the rub of the green and which don't). But his arse is clearly further back than his boots which means he is offside.
It can be sorted out properly if the conversation between the referee and VAR official is public (like Rugby) and the order and result of VAR is made public by message (like Cricket).
In this case:
Foul : No
Offside: Yes - MCFC - Aguero - Backside.
With a picture off offside player and picture of pass at the same moment in time (first touch of ball in passing motion).

Fernandinho's indiscretion against Shalke 04 would say:
Foul: Yes - MCFC - Fernandinho - pull down.
(Offside being irrelevant as it is evaluated after the foul.)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.