Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

What you been drinking? If it is vast amounts going teetotal off the rip can be dangerous better to buy some weak cans of lager and wean yourself off.
Good advise this, if you’re smashing spirits every night you’ll need help, be that cold turkey with medicine or reducing intake first, I suspect the latter. You can get DT’s and die from lack of alcohol believe it or not. I’m proud of you taking the first step, we are similar in that loss of my mother hit me hard also as it was so sudden and unexpected and just as we had kids. You have every motivation you need to do this, health, wealth, family and future for your kid(s). I’d suggest picking up a new habit which isn’t alcohol friendly, be that gym, fishing, driving or something else. Might be worth using the OYNB app and I’m sober as this gives you a great way of tracking the days, hearing other peoples successes and failures, tracking the money you have saved, use that money to buy something nice. Oh and remember, if you want this, you got it, but it can only be you that can make the change. I’d say give up now before you lose something, someone or everything you love

oh and one last thing, If you fail the first time, don't give up

Last edited:
How good are alcohol free beers these days? I’m a new found vegetarian and some of the fake meat options are excellent including Richmond sausages.

It gives me the sensation of eating meat (sausage sandwich was a staple Saturday morning breakfast for decades) yet it’s vegan.

If someone can replace alcohol with a 0% drink then that’s certainly one option.

How good are alcohol free beers these days? I’m a new found vegetarian and some of the fake meat options are excellent including Richmond sausages.

It gives me the sensation of eating meat (sausage sandwich was a staple Saturday morning breakfast for decades) yet it’s vegan.

If someone can replace alcohol with a 0% drink then that’s certainly one option.
Guinness zero is amazing, Ghost Ship Ale is very nice, Nosecco is decent for special occasions! I’ve bought a case of PUNK IPA (4 flavours) but not yet tried any of them.

Hi mate, really is long time no see.

I been on anti depressants when my mum passed as she chose 3 days before lock down so i got it all in one go, didnt even know it was happening until my wife sat me down and said you dont talk or laugh anymore talk to me!
Came off In August after 2 years.
Doctor my be a good first call. I'm embarrassed
Your wife has taken the first step by talking to you, you take the next. Your doctor has seen it all before and there is nothing he/she hasn’t seen that you will surprise him/her with. Go and see them asap.

I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic as I don't feel the need to drink every day. In fact, during the week I barely touch a drop even though there's shit loads of alcohol in the house. I'm more of a social drinker but when I do go out - often around City games - I binge drink and often get so pissed I really don't know when to stop as I'm largely incapable of making that decision when I'm wankered. Forest away the other week was ridiculous - I can't pinpoint exactly how many I had but I'm sure it was in excess of 10 pints before the match even kicked off. Not helped by a mate (who can put away far more than me) bringing 2 5 litre kegs of beer on the train for the journey down. To be fair, he didn't hold a gun to my head - "You don't have to drink it you know!" but that's easier said than done when it's there in front of you and you want to unwind after a week at work. There followed probably another 5 or 6 pints at half-time and after the match before I staggered into the house at around 9.15pm (after I'd fallen asleep on the bus and missed my stop).

Then it was off to Leipzig on Tuesday morning early doors with the obligatory pint at the airport as soon as I was through security. Normally when I've got a long day of travelling ahead with little sleep the night before, I get pissed quicker but I managed to semi-pace myself and didn't get too rat-arsed even when I got to Leipzig in the evening. Because of that, I wasn't too pissed and was able to call it a day at 1.30am. Even when I got back to the hotel - which had a 24 hour bar - I was tempted and would've probably had another drink were it not for the staff being on a shift change. However, I was just sober enough to be able to make the decision that I wasn't hanging around and waiting so buggered off to bed.

Match day started sensibly enough with an adequate breakfast in the cafe just round the corner from the hotel but as soon as I hit the Augustiner at around 12.30pm that was it. 4 1 litre steins in there and countless other drinks in the run-up to kick-off time plus at least one in the ground. The long-winded walk back into the city afterwards helped sober me up a fair bit but then I was back on it. I've no idea what time I got to bed but put it this way, I don't remember going to bed - only waking up the next morning. Then I was back on the beer for the long journey home (a train to Berlin and 2 flights). Even now I'm still not feeling fully refreshed but whereas alcoholics will feel the need to get back on it the next morning, I've not touched a drop since Thursday night and have no real inclination to have a drink before the weekend.

You do need to be so careful with booze. I look at some of the old soaks that seemed to live in my locals and they’ve dropped off one by one. Several didn’t even make retirement. Late teens / early twenties friends developed some severe issues with it too.

My flat is almost entirely dry unless I’m specifically staying in to watch football or boxing. If I don’t go out then I can’t drink.

I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic as I don't feel the need to drink every day. In fact, during the week I barely touch a drop even though there's shit loads of alcohol in the house. I'm more of a social drinker but when I do go out - often around City games - I binge drink and often get so pissed I really don't know when to stop as I'm largely incapable of making that decision when I'm wankered. Forest away the other week was ridiculous - I can't pinpoint exactly how many I had but I'm sure it was in excess of 10 pints before the match even kicked off. Not helped by a mate (who can put away far more than me) bringing 2 5 litre kegs of beer on the train for the journey down. To be fair, he didn't hold a gun to my head - "You don't have to drink it you know!" but that's easier said than done when it's there in front of you and you want to unwind after a week at work. There followed probably another 5 or 6 pints at half-time and after the match before I staggered into the house at around 9.15pm (after I'd fallen asleep on the bus and missed my stop).

Then it was off to Leipzig on Tuesday morning early doors with the obligatory pint at the airport as soon as I was through security. Normally when I've got a long day of travelling ahead with little sleep the night before, I get pissed quicker but I managed to semi-pace myself and didn't get too rat-arsed even when I got to Leipzig in the evening. Because of that, I wasn't too pissed and was able to call it a day at 1.30am. Even when I got back to the hotel - which had a 24 hour bar - I was tempted and would've probably had another drink were it not for the staff being on a shift change. However, I was just sober enough to be able to make the decision that I wasn't hanging around and waiting so buggered off to bed.

Match day started sensibly enough with an adequate breakfast in the cafe just round the corner from the hotel but as soon as I hit the Augustiner at around 12.30pm that was it. 4 1 litre steins in there and countless other drinks in the run-up to kick-off time plus at least one in the ground. The long-winded walk back into the city afterwards helped sober me up a fair bit but then I was back on it. I've no idea what time I got to bed but put it this way, I don't remember going to bed - only waking up the next morning. Then I was back on the beer for the long journey home (a train to Berlin and 2 flights). Even now I'm still not feeling fully refreshed but whereas alcoholics will feel the need to get back on it the next morning, I've not touched a drop since Thursday night and have no real inclination to have a drink before the weekend.
Classic binge drinker :-)

So I spoke to the doctor. Need to have blood tests to see how much damage I have done to myself. Might need some b12 injection???
The hard work starts now, I have normalised alcohol into my life so well that with it bei g gone time will seem like it's stopped. This is it though I stop or I lose everything, I worked hard for everything I dont want to lose due to drinking. So here it is Day 1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.