Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

Starting a dry January today. Need to give my liver a serious rest. Realise I need to start drinking less in general, principally because of my health. I simply can’t keep hammering it like I’m 23. I believe I have a pretty positive relationship with alcohol, don’t think it impacts negatively on my relationships or my work, but I know if I keep drinking at the same rate I’ll be lucky to make 60. Promised my girlfriend I’ll start taking more care of myself and reducing my alcohol intake is central to that.

Usually do a dry month at some point every year, but didn’t last year, which is a concern of itself. It was a pretty stressful year, but there’s always an excuse. I know it’s not just about this month; I’ve got to cut down drastically going forward, as much as I fucking love the stuff!

Starting a dry January today. Need to give my liver a serious rest. Realise I need to start drinking less in general, principally because of my health. I simply can’t keep hammering it like I’m 23. I believe I have a pretty positive relationship with alcohol, don’t think it impacts negatively on my relationships or my work, but I know if I keep drinking at the same rate I’ll be lucky to make 60. Promised my girlfriend I’ll start taking more care of myself and reducing my alcohol intake is central to that.

Usually do a dry month at some point every year, but didn’t last year, which is a concern of itself. It was a pretty stressful year, but there’s always an excuse. I know it’s not just about this month; I’ve got to cut down drastically going forward, as much as I fucking love the stuff!
Good decision and hope all goes well

I don't consume anything near the volume like I used to, but have made a pledge that for January I will only partake of alcohol on a Friday and Saturday
Generally I'll only have a maximum of three beers in any evening, so I'll be down to maybe six a week
I need to recover my fitness as well. Since coming back from holiday in June, I've only visited the gym twice and I've put on over a stone

I don't consume anything near the volume like I used to, but have made a pledge that for January I will only partake of alcohol on a Friday and Saturday
Generally I'll only have a maximum of three beers in any evening, so I'll be down to maybe six a week
I need to recover my fitness as well. Since coming back from holiday in June, I've only visited the gym twice and I've put on over a stone

I train with a lad at my gym who is 50, he implemented this Friday and Saturday only rule and it's worked a treat for him. He still gets up on a Saturday and does his parkrun even if he's had a few beers the night before. The bloke genuinely looks 15 years younger in the space of a year, I'm so proud of him. He's got 2 young kids so this has been a big driver for him getting fitter and building a better relationship with alcohol; he was a crate of Stella a night sort of bloke previously.

There are people in here genuinely having life struggles with Alcohol and doing their upmost to abstain, and not just the dry Jan brigade. Please don't undermine those efforts trying to be "funny"
I’m sure they haven’t lost their sense of humour.

I’m sure they haven’t lost their sense of humour.

The subject matter is a highly addictive substance that rips families apart, causes senseless violence on the streets and maims and kills wives, mothers & girlfriends in the privacy of homes. It causes illness that kills many thousands of us every year.
It’s not funny mate.

I hope that you posted in ignorance, that you’ll have a think about it and delete your ‘pun’ because you understand that it’s not a subject for cheap jokes.

The subject matter is a highly addictive substance that rips families apart, causes senseless violence on the streets and maims and kills wives, mothers & girlfriends in the privacy of homes. It causes illness that kills many thousands of us every year.
It’s not funny mate.

I hope that you posted in ignorance, that you’ll have a think about it and delete your ‘pun’ because you understand that it’s not a subject for cheap jokes.
I’m not trying to belittle anyone’s struggles against alcohol addiction. My best mate lost his life due to alcohol addiction. Another lost his family and someone close to me won’t face up to their addiction and I can see the effect it’s having even if they refuse to admit it.

On the other hand Father Ted did an episode where Father Jack went to an AA meeting and everyone ended up drinking whiskey in the bar next door, and on a similar vein there was a Cracker episode repeated recently where Fitz went to a Gamblers Anonymous meeting where they all ended up betting on the turn of a card. Compared to that my little post was fuck all and is hardly likely to encourage someone to fall off the wagon but I’ll delete it if it’s going to cause an argument which is the last thing that’s needed on this thread.

I’m not trying to belittle anyone’s struggles against alcohol addiction. My best mate lost his life due to alcohol addiction. Another lost his family and someone close to me won’t face up to their addiction and I can see the effect it’s having even if they refuse to admit it.

On the other hand Father Ted did an episode where Father Jack went to an AA meeting and everyone ended up drinking whiskey in the bar next door, and on a similar vein there was a Cracker episode repeated recently where Fitz went to a Gamblers Anonymous meeting where they all ended up betting on the turn of a card. Compared to that my little post was fuck all and is hardly likely to encourage someone to fall off the wagon but I’ll delete it if it’s going to cause an argument which is the last thing that’s needed on this thread.
Your post does highlight a point though.

Alcohol is so cheap and readily available these days. Easy to just drop a crate or a couple of bottles of wine in your trolly on the weekly shop.

I'm old enough to remember the 'outdoor', essentially an off licence attached to the pub which was open perhaps a few hours a day. Now you can get a bottle of Vodka at the petrol station. In years gone by only the most committed of drinkers went on to become alcoholics. Nowadays it's so much easier to fall in to the trap.

You’re ‘not trying to belittle anyone’s struggles against alcohol addition’?

IMO anyone who had any empathy for those who’s lives are blighted by it wouldn’t be on here poking fun at it and comparing horrific real life tragedy to tv sitcoms.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.