Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

It's all about your health...any alcohol is too much for you now. you need to stay well, mate. Stop altogether...for good. Your health is more important than having a drink. Don't turn to alcohol when you feel shit. don't reward yourself or use it as a crutch or anything. Easier said than done, maybe, but not when it comes to staying alive for longer, mate. I'd fuck it right off if i was you.
@oldhamblue I’m inclined to agree, especially when you mention your brothers and both their Illnesses, I’m sure those close to you will understand and also support you

I've not had a drink since 31st December. I don't count low-alcohol options as having a drink (0.5% and lower). My sleep is better, my weight is lower, my overall mood is good. I find that the dehydration that comes with alcohol is really noticeable, even after just two pints.

The biggest obstacle I face is City. After Saturday's inexplicable draw, I nearly threw it all away just to comfort myself. As it was, I ended up eating chocolate instead (sad, I know). I still feel lousy after Saturday's game but I got through the craving for alcohol.

My mate phoned me out the blue yesterday to admit he had a alcohol problem
Really surprised me , never suspected it, thought he was like me that just gets carried away after a few beers
Now he’s seeking help.
That is one of the most difficult thing for someone to do when it comes to alcohol.

In a previous department I have worked in I had a member of staff who eventually admitted to me that he was an alcoholic. After a series of incidents of being late and hungover, he came into work one day pretty much smashed, and when I confronted him, he pretty much blurted it out. Coming into work p*ssed turned out to be a cry for help, and he ended up getting the care and assistance he needed.

I really hope your friend gets the help they need.

I find a lot of solace and inspiration in this thread. I don't think I'm a functioning alcoholic. Ive not had an alcohol free week since I was 16. Played for a pool team Monday and Thursday since 16 then out all weekend for the last 35 years.

Lockdown was a killer. 1st lockdown I stopped drinking and went for a 5k run every single day and also did weights and got toned to fuck, 2nd lockdown was kind of depressing and I undid all the good work by boozing every day up until recently. 8-12 cans of bitter a night. 7 nights a week. 2 stone overweight now.

Diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol before Christmas and it's been a bit of a wake up. My dad died of heart attack aged 43. My twin has had 2 strokes already. My younger brother has had a heart attack. Neither fatal but significantly impeded their breathing, strength and quality of life.

Ive tried to quit completely. Played pool matches 4 times in last 2 weeks and drank non alcoholic beer or pop. N/A beer seems a rip off, over £3 for a half pint bottle of piss. But I've broke the chain of always having a beer when I play pool or go in a bar which is significant for me. But then I had a beer Friday night because we were meeting stepsons new girlfriend in a pub. Only had a couple then went home.

I honestly thought I could just stop and not drink again. And I haven't. I've stopped drinking in the week at home, I've stopped drinking at pool matches. Everyone was out last night bar me so I had 2 cans that were in the house. Although that feels like a failure its a significant improvement compared to a month ago.

Its not easy. Some people can just quit and I doff my cap. I think I'm one of those that recognises the need but prefers the option of "I won't let it control me"

to reiterate my opening statement: thank you to everyone who has had the honesty and balls to contribute to this thread. you've provided inspiration to people like me to do something about their problem
You have done so well I see your situation as having 5 numbers out of 6 on the lottery,come on mate go for 6 and the jackpot

It's all about your health...any alcohol is too much for you now. you need to stay well, mate. Stop altogether...for good. Your health is more important than having a drink. Don't turn to alcohol when you feel shit. don't reward yourself or use it as a crutch or anything. Easier said than done, maybe, but not when it comes to staying alive for longer, mate. I'd fuck it right off if i was you.
Agreed

Seems like a good place to ask.

A friend of mine is a recovering Alcoholic. It sounds as though he was functioning for quite a while but the last few years ( lockdown etc )he crumbled, Arrested for drink driving, rehab and the whole 9 yards.
He claims he's now 200 days Booze free, However in the last couple of months his behaviour is starting to shift. being really forgetful, taking 3/4 explinations to explain the simpliest of things to him and one random one is he's started to be very generous with his money.

A lot of these signs are seemingly more pointing at maybe some dementia kicking in. or, he's back on the booze.
Can recovering alcoholics have really messed up memories etc? or does this sound more like he's back on the booze

Edit: He's also up at all hours. keeps sending random ( coherent but pointless )messages at like 4am.

Last edited:
Seems like a good place to ask.

A friend of mine is a recovering Alcoholic. It sounds as though he was functioning for quite a while but the last few years ( lockdown etc )he crumbled, Arrested for drink driving, rehab and the whole 9 yards.
He claims he's now 200 days Booze free, However in the last couple of months his behaviour is starting to shift. being

really forgetful, taking 3/4 explinations to explain the simpliest of things to him and one random one is he's started to
be very generous with his money.

A lot of these signs are seemingly more pointing at maybe some dementia kicking in. or, he's back on the booze.
Can recovering alcoholics have really messed up memories etc? or does this sound more like he's back on the booze

Edit: He's also up at all hours. keeps sending random ( coherent but pointless )messages at like 4am.

Back on the bottle

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.