ALL things Rooney PLEASE! [Merged]

Re: All things Rooney! [Merged]

TheLegendOfBerti said:
Rooney's stats:

International Apps: 62 Goals: 25

Looks a good record, but who are they against?

4 v Croatia, 3 v Kazakhstan, 2 v Andorra, 2 v Belarus, 2 v Iceland, 2 v Slovakia, 2 v Switzerland, 1 v Russia, 1 v Estonia, 2 v Denmark, 1 v Holland, 1 v Argentina, 1 v Macedonia, 1 v Liechtenstein.

So I count 9 goals against teams England on paper should struggle to beat, the rest you'd expect to beat. Oh dear, so he doesn't score against many big teams, so what about his club record.

Everton Apps: 67 Goals: 15
MUFC Apps: 252 Goals: 131

So his goals record with United looks good, let's look at it in more detail.

Premier League: 189(91)
FA Cup: 18(11)
League Cup: 7(4)
Champions League: 50(21)
Others: 4(4)

In 2004/05:

PL: 24(11), FA: 6(3), LC: 1(0), CL: 6(3), Total: 37(17)

His Premier League Goals were against: 1 v Arsenal(H), 2 v Newcastle(A), 1 v Southampton(H), 1 v Liverpool(A), 1 v Birmingham(H), 1 v MCFC(A), 2 v Pompy(H), 1 v Newcastle(H), 1 v Charlton(A), so a good mix with some important goals, but only 11.

FA Cup goals: 1 v Exeter(A), 2 v Boro(H), nothing special.

In the Champions League: 3 v Fenerbahce(H), good hattrick, but only against a Turkish team in the Group stage. Would he improve the next year?

In 2005/06:

PL: 34(16), FA: 2(0), LC: 3(2), CL: 5(1), Total: 44(19), not great.

Goals in Prem: 1 v Everton(A), 1 v Newcastle(A), 1 v Fulham(A), 1 v Sunderland(A), 1 v West Ham(A), 1 v Portsmouth(H), 2 v Wigan(H), 1 v Villa(A), 1 v Birmingham(A), 2 v Newcastle(H), 1 v Birmingham(H), 1 v Arsenal(H), 2 v Spurs(A), so until the last 2 games no goals against big teams.

League Cup Goals: 2 v Wigan, wow...

Champions League: 1 v Debrecen, world class.

So he went backwards in 05/06, but could he step it up in the following season?

In 06/07:

PL: 33(14), FA: 5(5), LC: 1(0), CL: 12(4), Total: 51(23), hmmm.

In Prem: 2 v Fulham(H), 3 v Bolton(A), 2 v Sheff Utd(A), 1 v MCFC(H), 1 v Arsenal(A), 1 v Watford(H), 2 v Bolton(H), 1 v Sheff Utd(H), 1 v Everton(A), so apart from Arsenal away, not big team goals.

In FA: 2 v Pompy, 1 v Boro, 2 v Watford...yeah.

In CL: 1 v Roma(H), 1 v Roma(A), 2 v AC Milan(H), finally showing some quality in big games, but still a pretty average return for England's star. How about 07/08?

In 07/08:

PL: 25(12), FA: 3(2), LC: 0(0), CL: 10(4), Others: 1(0), Total: 39(18)...hmmm.

In PL: 1 v Wigan(H), 2 v Villa(A), 1 v Boro(H), 1 v Sunderland(A), 1 v Reading(A), 2 v Newcastle(A), 2 v Villa(H), 1 v Boro(A), 1 v Chelsea(A), so 1 goal v Chelsea the only big goal he scored that season in the league.

In FA: 1 v Villa(A), 1 v Arsenal(H), fine.

In CL: 1 v Roma(H), 1 v Dynamo Kyiv(H), 1 v Dynamo Kyiv(A), 1 v Roma(A), so pretty good, but against the same teams. How about 08/09?

In 08/09:

PL: 25(12), FA: 1(1), LC: 0(0), CL: 11(4), Others: 2(3), Total: 39(20) only slighly better than the previous year.

In PL: 1 v Bolton(H), 1 v Blackburn(A), 1 v WBA(H), 1 v MCFC(A), 1 v Chelsea(H), 1 v Wigan(H), 1 v Fulham(H), 1 v Blackburn(H), 1 v Newcastle(A), 1 v Pompy(H), 2 v Spurs(H), so 1 goal v Chelsea and a couple against Spurs, otherwise just bog standard.

In FA: 1 v Fulham(A), nothing special.

In CL: 1 v Aalborg(H), 1 v Celtic(H), 1 v Aalborg(A), 1 v Porto(H), not amazing considering who they faced in the later rounds.

Club World Cup: 2 v Gamba Osaka, 1 v LDU Quito, another average season, but in 09/10 he stepped up and scored goals, but who against?

In 09/10:

PL: 32(26), FA: 1(0), LC: 2(2), CL: 6(5), Others: 1(1), Total: 42(34), much higher.

Community Shield: 1 v Chelsea.

In PL: 1 v Birmingham(H), 2 v Wigan(A), 1 v Arsenal(H, Penalty), 1 v Spurs(A, 3rd in a 3-1 win), 1 v MCFC(H), 1 v Blackburn(H), 3 v Pompy(A, 2 penalties), 1 v West Ham(A, 4th goal in a 4-0 win), 1 v Wolves(H, Penalty), 1 v Hull(A), 1 v Wigan(H), 4 v Hull(H), 1 v Arsenal(A, 2nd in a 3-1 win), 1 v Pompy(H), 2 v West Ham(H), 2 v Fulham(H), 1 v Liverpool(H), so a couple of big goals against Liverpool and Arsenal, but only 4 of the 26 were against top 6 teams, and 1 of those was a penalty.

In LC: 1 v MCFC(H), 1 Villa(Final), fair to say he won them the League Cup, first big thing he's done.

In CL: Didn't score in the group stages, 2 v AC Milan(A), 2 v AC Milan(H), 1 v FC Bayern(A), a touch harsh to say he didn't do well, but AC were shit and Bayern were an average team relying on Arjen Robben and Ivica Olic for anything.

So overall, 11 of his 23 CL goals were against big teams and 8 of his 91 PL goals were against the other big 4, so yeah, make of it what you will. For me it just tells me he's a half-decent striker who had 1 great season against average teams and a good run in the CL, so yeah, not world class for me.

quality thanks pal . 100% agree

Right i'm sick of being called a rag when i'm not so i'm not going to comment much on Rooney anymore but i would be realy interested if any stats guys on here could find me a stiker/forward in world football who doesn't score more goals against the lesser teams than they do against the top teams.

why does the England team always have to be built round the overrated twat?

4-4-2 with Crouch & Defoe, J.Cole on the left and Lennon / SWP on right. Rooney warming the bench

England forward apologises for comments made after Algeria game.
The Football Association today issued the following statement from England forward Wayne Rooney further to comments he made as he was leaving the pitch at the end of the game with Algeria which was featured on television:

Wayne Rooney said: "I am as passionate about the England team as anyone. Last night, on reflection I said things in the heat of the moment that came out of frustration of both our performance and the result.

"The most important thing now is to regroup be positive and work towards winning the game on Wednesday. To do this the players will need the support of the fans more than ever.

"For my part I apologise for any offence caused by my actions at the end of the game."

we are set up to take advantage of our 'world beater'. if he turns out to be merely average then we are not well equipped to see teams off. all the eggs in one basket. we have options in the squad. lets park his over-rated butt on the bench. crouch/defoe for me.

Re: Wayne Rooney is a liability

we need team spirit not a wank fest over one allegedly world-class player

stop looking for frigging rooney and have a go!

Re: Wayne Rooney is a liability

gregglake said:
mcfcliam said:
Now he doesn't have it on a plate for him like he does at United, he's been shown up to be an over rated donkey.

You were right Lee, he is not world class and I now agree.

If you look at how he plays at United its totally different, its just ignorant to deny the fact he is world class. Something is seriously wrong in the England camp. But he proves week in week out he is world class.

ONE MAN DOES NOT MAKE A TEAM.
THE TEAM MAKES THE MAN.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.