Apple iPhone and more

Upgraded to iOS 17.

Everything is exactly the same.
Yeah, apart from some “live” widgets (like Reminders) most of the changes are not particularly visible in normal use.

It is just another in a line of many examples of how their hardware and software design is becoming increasingly incremental and laboured.

Supposedly the iPhone 16 is meant to be their “big” design update cycle, but who knows if that will actually be anything more than just adopting a lot of the features Samsung and Huawei will have launched by then (or maintaining compliance with new laws, in the case of their “revolutionary new fast charging USB-C port”), which has generally been the case for most of their new features.

When you really analyse the iPhone product design history, they haven’t had any “real” innovation since the adoption of 3G. Everything else since has just been refining features already present in competitor products and using the power of the iOS ecosystem to lock users in.

Then again, I think there is an argument that innovation in phones (really handheld computers, as they aren’t really phones anymore) across the manufacturers has begun to plateau. Eventually you find what generally works, make a few variations, and sell that until next “big” innovation arrives, trying to pass off gimmicks like foldable screens as “game-changing enhancements that will revolutionise users’ experience”.

And I reckon that might be AR devices that are much less clunky than Apple’s Vision Pro. Something more akin to Google Glass but far, far more practical and useful. But I think even early adoption en masse of those devices is still a few years (or more) away.

So for now we will just get these “the battery is slightly better, we doubled optical zoom on the camera, it’s slightly lighter, and it costs 200 more than the last model, so you know it is innovative!” cycles.

Yeah, apart from some “live” widgets (like Reminders) most of the changes are not particularly visible in normal use.

It is just another in a line of many examples of how their hardware and software design is becoming increasingly incremental and laboured.

Supposedly the iPhone 16 is meant to be their “big” design update cycle, but who knows if that will actually be anything more than just adopting a lot of the features Samsung and Huawei will have launched by then (or maintaining compliance with new laws, in the case of their “revolutionary new fast charging USB-C port”), which has generally been the case for most of their new features.

When you really analyse the iPhone product design history, they haven’t had any “real” innovation since the adoption of 3G. Everything else since has just been refining features already present in competitor products and using the power of the iOS ecosystem to lock users in.

Then again, I think there is an argument that innovation in phones (really handheld computers, as they aren’t really phones anymore) across the manufacturers has begun to plateau. Eventually you find what generally works, make a few variations, and sell that until next “big” innovation arrives, trying to pass off gimmicks like foldable screens as “game-changing enhancements that will revolutionise users’ experience”.

And I reckon that might be AR devices that are much less clunky than Apple’s Vision Pro. Something more akin to Google Glass but far, far more practical and useful. But I think even early adoption en masse of those devices is still a few years (or more) away.

So for now we will just get these “the battery is slightly better, we doubled optical zoom on the camera, it’s slightly lighter, and it costs 200 more than the last model, so you know it is innovative!” cycles.
My previous experience with them is that around now, when my contract only has several months left, things start going wrong with the phone.
Be interesting to see if that happens.

I’ll look at what Google bring out next year before choosing to stay with this or upgrade. My Google 6 was quite an impression piece kit.

On a 12 pro at the mo.

I've had my X for a good few years now and have no intention of changing any time soon. It does all I need and does it very well still.

My previous experience with them is that around now, when my contract only has several months left, things start going wrong with the phone.
Be interesting to see if that happens.

I’ll look at what Google bring out next year before choosing to stay with this or upgrade. My Google 6 was quite an impression piece kit.

On a 12 pro at the mo.
Funny you should say that, but I have a theory about the timing of “issues” coinciding with each users’ AppleCare+ expiration date. ;-)

Innovation is generally in the Android space, Apple generally wait it out and then refine it for everyday use. Many, many examples of this, the most recent were widgets, AOD and wireless charging. Nearly every other manufacturer has made a foldable of some kind, Apple haven't for a reason because the tech isn't ready. About 3yrs ago Oppo released a concept of a rollable screen, a phone that is a "normal" size but can roll out to a foldable screen size. But the tech isn't ready, Apple will allow the others to pump money into the ideas and refinements and then nip in at the finish line with their own version which will be more preferable to the masses.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.