Are there any bona fide world class players in a bottom 10 PL team right now?

If the exact same players as Haaland and Rodri was playing for clubs in the bottom 10 then apparently for some they would not be considered World Class. seems silly to me

I can see both viewpoints here and fully understand what you are saying.

But I do think when you consider whether a players/sportsmen is performing to the highest level showing those attributes against the best players on the biggest stages is a pretty important measurement.

It would be difficult to gauge how good Haaland is for example, if he was just banging in the goals against lesser keepers and players but watching him achieve this against the worlds best defenders and teams is definitely an important barometer.

I don't agree you necessarily have to have won the trophies though. Shearer is an example of a player who performed at the highest level, but won very little, which was more due to the players alongside him.

Ive not read all the thread but I think if the discussion still centres around Paqueta I was not massively keen on us signing him in the summer, but since our interest Ive paid more attention and I was probably wrong coming to that conclusion.

Im not being facetious here, and I know they are different players, but do you think he is having a much better season than James Maddison and would you consider him world class?

For the record I think to be world class you have to be really in the top 4/5 players in your position in the world.

I would say at City Rodri does not have an equal as DM, KDB is one of the top three attacking midfielders and Haaland falls in that bracket along with the likes of Kane, Salah, Mbappe. Arguments could also be made for others but I would not say as clean cut as those three.

Last edited:
Oh, you were serious? Haha!

not particularly, I know he doesn't fit that category but he's a fantastic player and been on form for a long time now and there's talk of Liverpool going for him to replace Salah... so not totally laughable.

However, only Hammer I would consider WC is Paqueta , Kudos has alot of potential but very early days.

If the exact same players as Haaland and Rodri was playing for clubs in the bottom 10 then apparently for some they would not be considered World Class. seems silly to me
So if he was playing for a bottom 10 club and each season the highest profile or biggest game he played was playing at Anfield.. Old Trafford.. Ettihad or Emirates or maybe the quarter finals of the F.A Cup.. how on earth can you say he is on the same world class level as a player playing champions league finals or Premier League Championship run in games.
World class is a level not a performance and bottom 10 clubs will never provide the platform for greatness..
Shearer and Gerrard were not World class in my book and neither was Le Tissier.. although all fantastic players.

So if he was playing for a bottom 10 club and each season the highest profile or biggest game he played was playing at Anfield.. Old Trafford.. Ettihad or Emirates or maybe the quarter finals of the F.A Cup.. how on earth can you say he is on the same world class level as a player playing champions league finals or Premier League Championship run in games.
World class is a level not a performance and bottom 10 clubs will never provide the platform for greatness..
Shearer and Gerrard were not World class in my book and neither was Le Tissier.. although all fantastic players.

Gerrard most certainly was.

Gerrard most certainly was.
Gerrard was a fantastic player. One major trophy in his career.. same as Shearer... so you would put him ar World Class level same as Xavi.. Inniesta both won about 4 Champions Leagues about 6 Spanish titles oh and the little matter of a World Cup..

I will tell you a player who was better than Gerrard and who was also not World Class... Gazza... biggest game he played in was a Rome Derby and about 20 mins of an F.A.Cup final..
Le Tissier biggest games were relagation battles..

Shearer was clearly one of the best strikers on the planet. Probably only behind Ronaldo as the world’s best number 9 at his peak. Also finished top scorer in a major international tournament on top of all his domestic accolades.

Shearer was clearly one of the best strikers on the planet. Probably only behind Ronaldo as the world’s best number 9 at his peak. Also finished top scorer in a major international tournament on top of all his domestic accolades.
The world class debate is a cracking one as so many people have different criteria..
The most important thing has to be what you win in the game of sport because that recognises you have reached the top of your sport a trophy or a medal rewards that so if you don’t have one or you only have one or two you can’t be put on the same level as players who have five.. seven or ten major honours.
Like I say Gazza was a genius of a player a deffo fav of mine but he couldn’t be compared to other midfielders like Zidane or Rikjaard when the biggest game he played was a Rome Derby.. same with Shearer as good as he was how can anybody say he was on the same level as Van Basten.. Raul or Brazilian Ronaldo who all scored goals in Champions League final wins and Won World Cups..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.