Arsenal post match thread

We must have watched a different game as the one I saw, we weren't half as bad as you are portraying.

It wasn't as bad as it has been recently but i put that more down to Arsenal being quite poor and allowing us the ball as part of their gameplan. Not until the last 5 minutes did i get the impression we could score, we had possession but didn't use it well and never really had Arsenal worried. The game wasn't as close as the scoreline and some of the stats would suggest in my eyes. An underwhelming Arsenal were extremely comfortable and game managed in the end, sitting back soaking up pressure with ease under no real strain and saving legs with a busy Christmas period coming up.

Side note, I fully expect the same kind of thing against Leicester, same kind of performance from both sides and a similar result. Given what happened last night and him knowing full well what Leicester do, will Pellegrini do anything different tactically?

Probably the worst insult i can give you, and this is not to piss anyone off, is that city reminded me of our game against utd recently. Utd and city didn't seem to have any plan or idea about what they were supposed to do, there was a major lack of passion/desire, a lot of the passes didn't seem to have any 'meaning' to them. Arsenal have played like that many times in the past as well, there is just that sense you get as a fan that the team doesn't have any idea what it's supposed to be doing. I sensed that from man utd and surprisingly from city as well. The last 10 mins was more like the city i expected.

Also if i'm being honest, by that point we really should have been 3/4 up at least. We didn't play great ourselves, but apart from the odd 20 mins it was an even game in terms of quality. We had by far the most clear cut chances to score more goals. The difference was our players just seemed to work and press harder, and in general looked like they were up for it way more.

Probably the worst insult i can give you, and this is not to piss anyone off, is that city reminded me of our game against utd recently. Utd and city didn't seem to have any plan or idea about what they were supposed to do, there was a major lack of passion/desire, a lot of the passes didn't seem to have any 'meaning' to them. Arsenal have played like that many times in the past as well, there is just that sense you get as a fan that the team doesn't have any idea what it's supposed to be doing. I sensed that from man utd and surprisingly from city as well. The last 10 mins was more like the city i expected.

Also if i'm being honest, by that point we really should have been 3/4 up at least. We didn't play great ourselves, but apart from the odd 20 mins it was an even game in terms of quality. We had by far the most clear cut chances to score more goals. The difference was our players just seemed to work and press harder, and in general looked like they were up for it way more.

Considering the circumstances last night was no disgrace for us. You are a fine team and were at home, we did not get hammered and neither did you.
A lot on here are losing their shit and i have no idea why, yes we are working at way less than 100% but some blues are going off the rails xD

Up until the first goal it was looking slightly in our favour even, to my eyes at least.

Considering the circumstances last night was no disgrace for us. You are a fine team and were at home, we did not get hammered and neither did you.
A lot on here are losing their shit and i have no idea why, yes we are working at way less than 100% but some blues are going off the rails xD

Up until the first goal it was looking slightly in our favour even, to my eyes at least.

Possible, and by no means were you hammered or anything (however you could have been as we really should have scored from those 2 other chances), however i think the thing id be most disappointed with if i was a city fan is the lack of passion/desire/work rate from almost all the city players. Again, I'm not sitting on my high horse, I've seen the same from arsenal many times however this season and most of last season we seem to have got rid of that bad attitude.

1, It wasn't a close game, it seemed this way only because they dropped deep for the last 15 minutes after yaya converted a very unlikely chance. You keep talking about "we should have been leading", but the DeBruyne chance wasn't anything like clear cut. The angle was very tight, and the pass wasn't on either. So to keep suggesting you should have been leading by the time they grabbed their goal is very generous.

2, They didn't shut up shop after their first goal which i concede was a punt(like yaya's), they kept coming forward, and scored again. Only when they got the 2nd did they truly shut up shop, as anyone would against another top 4 side....so yes they DID execute their plan, maybe not well gievn they missed so many chances to score on the break, but it got the job done.

3, I have, in every single post mentioned that arsenal were average, yet you keep talking as if this has gone over your head. The point is city were far worse over 90 mins and had no plan as always, aside from playing delph on the left which resulted in that infamous pass which ono posted a picture of, and a sterling sub at half time.

4, You keep associating a battering with men vs boys, yet i can tell you dozens of games in recent years where its been men vs boys without the battering to reflect this fact.

5, re "certainly not now and certainly not panic buy in january". No i wouldn't want another bony, but do YOU want an UCL place? Its simply so far off the pace at present that you cannot just sit there and assume you will safely qualify without measures being taken. I can guarantee you that abromovic is currently wishing he'd given jose the boot earlier now, as their top 4 place is pretty much done and dusted. Plus, you either need to bring in a defender or call Denayer back from loan, and really you need a striker. I'd say CM too but that is a difficult area to cover in january, given its arguably the area where the most money is needed to be spent.

6, A decent clear cut chance wouldn't have been created last night if the game went on for 200mins...
1. You say it wasn't close, yet I'm sure you mentioned we were the better team for the first 30 minutes + the last 15 so that's 45 minutes of us being the better team and 45 minutes of them - yes their 45 minutes was more significant hence they won, but I just don't see how you can claim we were so thoroughly outplayed (i.e. we were so dreadful we should have lost 4-5 nil), they won because they were tactically better and were more clinical, not because they played so much better than us.

2. Kept coming forward? Unless I'm mistaken they had 2 shots in the first half (I'm almost certain on this fact). They put together 2 decent attacks (in fact that's generous, they weren't attacking, we passed it to them for the 2nd, so one decent attack) and scored twice, so you must see my confusion about where you saw them creating so much trouble for us? After that it's natural they created a couple more chances when we're chasing a game 2-0 down - any team would.

3. Your point is you think City were far worse, my point is that I think we were slightly worse - these are opinions not facts. We agree on the second point though, our plan was non-existent/poor and contributed to the loss.

4. Men vs Boys for me is when it's very one sided in a certain department, if you're talking on the pitch, then like I said no chance, if we were boys they were teenagers at best. If you're talking tactics then like I said that's Wenger vs Pellegrini & I'm closer to sharing your opinion.

5. Do you really think we're off pace for CL spot? We're playing as bad as I've seen us for years, with crippling injuries to key players for almost the entirety of the season, and we're in 3rd. It's quite simply a fact that we are in the CL spot currently, and if the second half of the season repeated we would end up in the CL. Do you think we'll be worse in the second half? Personally cannot see it, with Kompany, Aguero & Silva back even if we're a mess tactically we should have enough (easily) to get top 4 & even challenge for 1st/2nd IMO. Don't get me wrong I think other teams will do better 2nd half, but I certainly think we will too.

6. I guess we'll agree to disagree about KdB chance, for me he scores that 8/10 times, which I'd call clear cut - even could have squared for Silva if he'd chosen to pass early for a 10/10 tap in. Yaya also missed a chance from a few yards out near the end at 2-1 (hit wide) - again I'd argue that was fairly clear cut even if he's under pressure. Again we'll have to agree to disagree because they looked shaky at the back & we looked like we had an equaliser in us if we'd scored 10 minutes earlier.

Well, think it's clear we're at different ends of the spectrum on that performance, for me it was more promising that if we can compete away at Arsenal (although still not good), that we can have a mediocre season & refresh in the summer. You obviously saw it as more worrying. Clearly we're not going to change each others opinions so I'll leave it there though.

Last edited:

No argument from me there.

Possible, and by no means were you hammered or anything (however you could have been as we really should have scored from those 2 other chances), however i think the thing id be most disappointed with if i was a city fan is the lack of passion/desire/work rate from almost all the city players. Again, I'm not sitting on my high horse, I've seen the same from arsenal many times however this season and most of last season we seem to have got rid of that bad attitude.
You've summed us up well, lack of passion , work rate are the minimum a fan wants from his team. We were well beaten, the score line flattered us , we're going backwards at an alarming rate. Our standards are way lower now as some City fans actually think we played well.

De Bruyne, Navas, Toure and Bony all had clear cut chances. Add to that to our greater possession away from home leads me to believe you're not as good as you think you are. Still fancy us to finish above you.

Nothing is won In December, foundations are laid.

We are 6 points behind Leicester yet have to play them twice. 5 points behind Arsenal yet also have to play them again.

A long way to go. I will remember the Arsenal celebrations from last night as if they had won the title, reminded me of when the dippers beat us 3-2 at Anfield the year they fell apart. I enjoyed rubbing the dippers nose in it more when the title was awarded. Hopefully the same will happen.

I understand teams celebrating but that last night was for me a tad embarrassing or I am just not used to City being the scalp we seem to be these days.

I'm not sure what to make of city,
I can't understand why some expected us to completely outplay them and win easily and are somehow ok with playing well and losing.
You got silva de Bruyne Toure sterling Aguero. It's like a premier league dream team, im not surprised we sat back and approached the game in the same way we did against Bayern munich. City have so much talent in their side that I'd take that performance and win against them yesterday every day. We paid you the sort of respect, tactically, that we ll only do against Bayern and Barca , because of the calibre of players you have.
I don't understand why your expectations seem so low this season when you have such a great team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.