Atmosphere 2024/25

Very encouraging, where's this from mate?

It's part of the planning application for the North Stand (from the Design and Access Statement).

The roof design for the South Stand was a similar logic, albeit without the extra walls to help keep noise in. But we ended up with a singing section at the bottom of the stand making no use of it.

For anyone who has been to away games, you know the good grounds and the bad grounds for acoustics. It's basics to get singers grouped under the roof, it's what keeps the noise in the ground and it's what the majority of fans around the ground can hear.

We'd make an absolute racket with the right groups in the new NS. It's whether the club support that idea with attractive pricing and incentives. But the vocal support spending pre-match in City Square, getting the atmosphere building and then going into a huge single tier would be a game changer for the atmosphere in the ground.

It's part of the planning application for the North Stand (from the Design and Access Statement).

The roof design for the South Stand was a similar logic, albeit without the extra walls to help keep noise in. But we ended up with a singing section at the bottom of the stand making no use of it.

For anyone who has been to away games, you know the good grounds and the bad grounds for acoustics. It's basics to get singers grouped under the roof, it's what keeps the noise in the ground and it's what the majority of fans around the ground can hear.

We'd make an absolute racket with the right groups in the new NS. It's whether the club support that idea with attractive pricing and incentives. But the vocal support spending pre-match in City Square, getting the atmosphere building and then going into a huge single tier would be a game changer for the atmosphere in the ground.
Agree. Going off how vocal my 'flexi' section of the ground was on Saturday I think there's pent up demand from passionate Blues - who've been locked out of season tickets since Covid - that could work wonders in that stand. The key is not to price people out or go silly with the amount and location of seats given over to hospitality. We will need the energy of new and returning season ticket holders in the new stand as well as existing ones, because inevitably some singers won't want to move if they're happy where they are.

That's why I get frustrated when people just deny that acoustics have anything to do with it.

That's why I get frustrated when people just deny that acoustics have anything to do with it.

There are always games the fans aren't up for, or where things are a bit flat but you cannot argue that the Etihad just doesn't have the right configuration at the moment. When the whole of SSL3 has away fans in it, it's loud - because of the roof. And the NS as per the page you attached, is even better in terms of acoustics.

SSL1 drives the atmosphere around the ground which is why we're discussing it.

SSL1 were OK on Sunday.

Nothing wrong with my hearing.

Nobody is saying the atmosphere is always bad.

The fact that it is sometimes very good surely invalidates, or at least weakens, your argument that the stadium configuration is the decisive factor.

I never said the stadium configuration is the decisive factor. You're putting words into my post. It isn't the decisive factor. There are numerous factors why our vocal support is poor at times. And good at other times. The decisive factor is people not singing. Not the configuration of the stadium, etc

The stand configurations does have an impact on the atmosphere. I know SSL3 is singing, but I can't hear it as I'm stood almost under the concrete overhang on SSL1. This issue has been discussed at length on this thread, and most people think the Etihad stand layouts and design, concrete overhangs, shallow tiers, a high roof, etc, impact on the atmosphere.

You're the one who posted.....

Time and again, game after game, my brother and I wonder where the fuck is our singing section?

Meaning our singing section/SSL1 isn't audible, you can't hear it, it doesn't singing enough, etc? I beg to differ and I always will.

SSL1 was very vocal on Sunday. Along with 111, 110, 109, and the rest of ESL1 at times. SSL3 was probably vocal as well, but where I stand I can't hear it. On Sunday when all the Etihad joined in the singing it was very loud. Ask any Arsenal fan stood in the SSL1 away end.

Last edited:
I don’t wholly buy the acoustics argument.

We have a much bigger section of the south stand with the same configuration as that of the away fans yet in many games they are much noisier. The only explanation for that is that more of them are singing.

This can’t be true of level 1 as most of the fans there sing plenty so logic dictates that it’s down to SSL3 to up their game.

We have a much bigger section of the south stand with the same configuration as that of the away fans yet in many games they are much noisier. The only explanation for that is that more of them are singing.

This can’t be true of level 1 as most of the fans there sing plenty so logic dictates that it’s down to SSL3 to up their game.
I will say I think most away fans struggle being split over 3 tiers, I thought arse were the best we've had in a while.

For us I don't think it helps that SS2 contains a hospitality section, which completely splits the 2 section up.

That's the excitement of NS2 being 1 large tier though

You need people making noise in the first place so yes you're quite right in that regard, they can definitely do more. But if you took 3,000 people singing in SSL1 and moved them under the roof in SSL3 the noise would be heard around the ground more. And apologies for repeating this, the NS is going to be even better in terms of acoustics.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.