Balotelli out in June?

avoidconfusion said:
Chick Counterfly said:
chill. he didn't say that. he spoke italian. that was some interpreter's dodgy translation.

from the thread about the racist chanting aimed at him, here's what I made of the original;

Still... why does he say "until June" then? There is no mis-translation there....

its the culture in Italian football. here we say until June (as we say "6 month and then 3 years.......), coz in June we know that anything can happen. each player can try to be sold. but, above all, each club may decide to try to sell a player. in football there is no certainty of the future.

-- Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:58 am --

avoidconfusion said:
I am chill, I am just not buying the whole "wrong translation" stuff.

By the way, are you Italian, Chick Counterfly?

Because , from the Latin and Spanish that I had in school, I can understand "e non posso dire nulla" and it means "and I cannot say anything"... there is no room for misinterpretation there really.

dont know if Chick Counterfly is italian but his understanding is the good one , but if you want you can ask to me given that i'm italian....

Mancio said:
dont know if Chick Counterfly is italian but his understanding is the good one , but if you want you can ask to me given that i'm italian....

So you are saying what he said does not mean "and i cannot say anything" ?

avoidconfusion said:
Mancio said:

So you are saying what he said does not mean "and i cannot say anything" ?

the good translation in the contest of that prhase is :

in the context of that sentence the correct translation is : until June i'm surely at City, so there is nothing else to add.

avoidconfusion said:

Because , from the Latin and Spanish that I had in school, I can understand "e non posso dire nulla" and it means "and I cannot say anything"... there is no room for misinterpretation there really.

Yep, but there are meanings and meanings. I'm not Italian, my Italian is rudimentory at best. I have spent a lot of time reading the Italian sports press over the last couple of years however, so I'm used to reading the original, the word for word, and then laughing about what how our press mangles the meaning. And vice versa, the Italian versions of our stories are often laughable. It's commonplace for the subtleties to be thrown out completely.

I'll give you an example; Mediaset reported that Dzeko said 'I am definitely not moving in January'. He didn't say that at all, he said he was concentrating on playing for Wolfsburg, not moving in January.

And Sky took Balotelli's comments in September (from memory):

"The national team manager asked me to be generous to my team mates and too close down across the pitch"

and turned it into

"I will close down and work hard for the National team, but not my club side!"

You can 'interpret' these things a hundred ways, but that is really stretching it. I guess there is a distinction implied whenever you specifically mention something you do for the National side, and if you squint really hard, that implies you are talking about something you don't do for your club.

In this instant, does 'e no possa dire nulla' mean;

I have a five year contract, I can't say anymore

(I can't say anything more clear than I have a five year contract).

or

I have a five year contract, it's not possible (correct) for me to discuss this subject (at all)

or

I have a five year contract; So I can't say anymore

(I can't say any more about what I am implying happens AFTER June!).

I believe it was the former, but I guess we'll never really know what he implied. There's just nothing there in the quote, unless you jump on 'Until June', and several outlets reported that he said 'at least until June'.

Chick Counterfly said:
avoidconfusion said:

Yep, but there are meanings and meanings. I'm not Italian, my Italian is rudimentory at best. I have spent a lot of time reading the Italian sports press over the last couple of years however, so I'm used to reading the original, the word for word, and then laughing about what how our press mangles the meaning. And vice versa, the Italian versions of our stories are often laughable. It's commonplace for the subtleties to be thrown out completely.

I'll give you an example; Mediaset reported that Dzeko said 'I am definitely not moving in January'. He didn't say that at all, he said he was concentrating on playing for Wolfsburg, not moving in January.

And Sky took Balotelli's comments in September (from memory):

"The national team manager asked me to be generous to my team mates and too close down across the pitch"

and turned it into

"I will close down and work hard for the National team, but not my club side!"

You can 'interpret' these things a hundred ways, but that is really stretching it. I guess there is a distinction implied whenever you specifically mention something you do for the National side, and if you squint really hard, that implies you are talking about something you don't do for your club.

In this instant, does 'e no possa dire nulla' mean;

I have a five year contract, I can't say anymore

(I can't say anything more clear than I have a five year contract).

or

I have a five year contract, it's not possible (correct) for me to discuss this subject (at all)

or

I have a five year contract; So I can't say anymore

(I can't say any more about what I am implying happens AFTER June!).

I believe it was the former, but I guess we'll never really know what he implied. There's just nothing there in the quote, unless you jump on 'Until June', and several outlets reported that he said 'at least until June'.

"non posso dire nulla" = "i've nothing other to say" , or "and thats all"

Burtonblue said:
Has barely played for us so probably wants to see how things pan out at City. Can't blame the lad for keeping his options open. However can't see him being in a hurry to return to serie A for more racial abuse.
The most important thing for him is to be made to feel wanted by City and it's up to us fans to help with this.
Isn't the reality that he never wanted to live in cold, wet, chav infested Britain anyway but it was a great wage rise which will have to be met by his next club. He'll not be here for too long and I never thought anything else!

Swales Bails said:
Burtonblue said:
Has barely played for us so probably wants to see how things pan out at City. Can't blame the lad for keeping his options open. However can't see him being in a hurry to return to serie A for more racial abuse.
The most important thing for him is to be made to feel wanted by City and it's up to us fans to help with this.
Isn't the reality that he never wanted to live in cold, wet, chav infested Britain anyway but it was a great wage rise which will have to be met by his next club. He'll not be here for too long and I never thought anything else!

This is the truth. Anyone who thinks Balotelli will be here for long time fighting for Citys cause is deluded. He will end up at milan but he just couldnt go from Inter to milan, so City is the temperory stop for him. I expect him to go in the summer

gooney said:
Swales Bails said:

This is the truth. Anyone who thinks Balotelli will be here for long time fighting for Citys cause is deluded. He will end up at milan but he just couldnt go from Inter to milan, so City is the temperory stop for him. I expect him to go in the summer

Milan are obligated to pay a hefty fee for Ibrahimovic in summer, how will they also afford Balotelli, considering they have Robinho, Pato, Ronaldinho, and Inzaghi on their list of attackers too?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.