Banning smoking in beer gardens

I'd like a designated smoking area within hospital grounds but if they banned it I'd be OK with it. I was actually glad when smoking in pubs and clubs was banned because I remember going in my local WM club and the air was so thick with smoke even I couldn't stand it. I never smoked on a plane because it's not fair for a non smoker to breathe in cigarette smoke in a confined space. I'm OK with all the places smoking is banned but banning it in a pub beer garden is a step too far I think.
Hospital closest to me has an outdoor designated area. I suppose it’s a bit easier when you don’t get pissed wet through when heading to it..

Hospital closest to me has an outdoor designated area. I suppose it’s a bit easier when you don’t get pissed wet through when heading to it..
I have stood outside smoking like a wet through drowned rat and sometimes think I'm an idiot, but nicotine is that addictive that I carry on till I finish a cigarette, or until the rain extinguishes it.

Let's hope it doesn't come into force for the sake of the pub sector.

I disagree, but it has all been said pal.

If of interest, the following doesn't really prove anything (nor am I trying to) as it is one example, but others like it will exist.

Following the news I had a chat with a friend who manages a bar that I like. She is all for it, she thinks it would make their pub far better. They have a very small rear beer garden, which nobody uses for anything other than smoking, because nobody likes being in it any longer than they have to, when someone smokes. They tried lots of things, like putting plants and lighting outside, nice furniture etc, to make it more appealing to non smokers, but the size of it means it just takes one person to light up there and the rest can't avoid it. More than that, it affects the inside. The door to it is directly opposite the bar and all the staff hate the smell, just from the door opening and closing when people go for a smoke. The quizzmaster dude hates it, the chef hates it, and some of the regulars hate it, and joke it smells like a pre 2005 pub. They have put signs up to shut the door and regularly tell people off to not lean on it or leave it open, but it still comes through. The toilets also have high level windows that face out onto it so the smell gets in there too. The pub do great food, good selection of beer and drink, are better priced than other nearby pubs, and the staff are friendly. But they are not always that busy, and she is convinced that is largely to do with the beer garden and smoke smell from it. She is now trying to encourage the owner to make the beergarden non-smoking (they still have a front door where people could go smoke).

It will vary greatly from place to place, by size, users etc. But I don't think the argument that all pubs and the whole sector will suffer adds up.

I believe the aussies have it right, they enforce segregation of smoking areas from eating areas - it is f**king disgusting having to inhale second hand smoke while trying to eat!

I have stood outside smoking like a wet through drowned rat and sometimes think I'm an idiot, but nicotine is that addictive that I carry on till I finish a cigarette, or until the rain extinguishes it.
It’s still quite popular in Spain to smoke though I’ve noticed the younger generation don’t seem to be as bad. I think it’ll die out naturally over time. Take a few years though.

Even the most ardent smoker shouldn’t complain about a ban outside hospitals. Sporting venues I presume have the choice unless council owned?
Is the law the same in the UK, as it is over here re smoking being banned in the workplace? If it is, then sporting venues could arguably be described as workplaces. How many people are employed by City in the stadium on a matchday (not counting those outside the confines of the stadium; stewards, programme sellers, car parking staff)?

I believe the aussies have it right, they enforce segregation of smoking areas from eating areas - it is f**king disgusting having to inhale second hand smoke while trying to eat!

They also aren't allowed to smoke on beaches and in parks.

I only tend to eat inside but wouldn’t want to eat in a beer garden when people are smoking.

I disagree, but it has all been said pal.

If of interest, the following doesn't really prove anything (nor am I trying to) as it is one example, but others like it will exist.

Following the news I had a chat with a friend who manages a bar that I like. She is all for it, she thinks it would make their pub far better. They have a very small rear beer garden, which nobody uses for anything other than smoking, because nobody likes being in it any longer than they have to, when someone smokes. They tried lots of things, like putting plants and lighting outside, nice furniture etc, to make it more appealing to non smokers, but the size of it means it just takes one person to light up there and the rest can't avoid it. More than that, it affects the inside. The door to it is directly opposite the bar and all the staff hate the smell, just from the door opening and closing when people go for a smoke. The quizzmaster dude hates it, the chef hates it, and some of the regulars hate it, and joke it smells like a pre 2005 pub. They have put signs up to shut the door and regularly tell people off to not lean on it or leave it open, but it still comes through. The toilets also have high level windows that face out onto it so the smell gets in there too. The pub do great food, good selection of beer and drink, are better priced than other nearby pubs, and the staff are friendly. But they are not always that busy, and she is convinced that is largely to do with the beer garden and smoke smell from it. She is now trying to encourage the owner to make the beergarden non-smoking (they still have a front door where people could go smoke).

It will vary greatly from place to place, by size, users etc. But I don't think the argument that all pubs and the whole sector will suffer adds up.
You are right it means nothing. Data on pubs that closed after the smoking ban speaks volumes. They didn't thrive as you stated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.