Bluemoon Angling Thread

That chair looks far too comfy i'd just snooze all day in that. Nice pic where is it?
A place called Snitterfield near Warwick, a Leamington Anglers water. It's actually colder than it looks.

I've mentioned before that, in my view, it is overstocked and during the winter they put in more 6" tench and rudd. The result is sll you can catch are 6" tench and rudd. On the feeder today hoping for something bigger but with the same result. Wish they wouldn't do that, it's a brilliant crucian water if they'd let it be.

Well I had no plans to go out this morning, I was up at six and a free day ahead, need to sort a new lawnmower out and a new laptop, fuck it, off i went too nice a day not to, went to the canal for 3 hours, just a walk and a fish, had a pike within 20 mins it thumped my lure the bait fish all jumped out of the water, it shot off to my right, I set the hook it felt like a good fish(for me), battle commenced, just as I caught a glimpse of it, it pulled the hook, must of been a good 3 or 4 lber maybe bigger ,same happened about an hour later, but I wasn't disappointed I was fucking thrilled especially when all the bait fish shot up ,if I had used a treble I'm pretty certain I would of landed both of them, but as I said to my mate I won't use trebles until I feel confident in handling the fish, I'd rather lose it than damage it, I actually felt i fished well today for a change :)

Well I had no plans to go out this morning, I was up at six and a free day ahead, need to sort a new lawnmower out and a new laptop, fuck it, off i went too nice a day not to, went to the canal for 3 hours, just a walk and a fish, had a pike within 20 mins it thumped my lure the bait fish all jumped out of the water, it shot off to my right, I set the hook it felt like a good fish(for me), battle commenced, just as I caught a glimpse of it, it pulled the hook, must of been a good 3 or 4 lber maybe bigger ,same happened about an hour later, but I wasn't disappointed I was fucking thrilled especially when all the bait fish shot up ,if I had used a treble I'm pretty certain I would of landed both of them, but as I said to my mate I won't use trebles until I feel confident in handling the fish, I'd rather lose it than damage it, I actually felt i fished well today for a change :)
know what you mean about the bait fish, loved watching the fry creating tiny patterns on the surface as a perch attacked, even though the perch were barely bigger than them.

So another day on Thursday on the Loch. Straight line buzzer fishing all day again. I jacked it in around 2.00pm after catching a dozen. Including this belter that must have been pushing 5lb.

1619264094693.png

I do enjoy buzzer fishing at this time of year. Watching the static line suddenly snaking away as a trout takes.
For anyone that is interested, the buzzer proper name is a chironomid midge which makes up a large part of the trouts food, especially in still water. The lifecycle of the midge is important to the angler because it is possible to replicate the natural at different stages of its lifecycle; Bloodworm, then buzzer, then emerger, then dry midge.

This is the bloodworm which can be simply replicated and fished deep
Diptera of Britain and Europe

Then the buzzer pupae which can be fished from near the surface to the loch bed. Naturals are normally black, olive or brown but I have seen them bright green. Most fly fishers will have a box full of different type buzzers from slow to fast sink and with different colours, cheeks and breathers.

Fly Fishing Chironomids - Chironomid larva pupa life cycle, behavior, fly  patterns & fishing techniques to fly … | Fly fishing tips, Fly fishing,  Fishing techniques

Then when the pupae moves from pupae to adult midge it jetisons its exoskeleton and becomes trapped in the water
film. It is a sitting duck for feeding trout
www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Emerging midge | Fly fishing, Fly  tying, Fishing lures
and finally the adult midge which can be replicated quite easily by a dry fly
It's a Midge Issue! | The Wandle Trust

So you can vary your fly depending on the depth the trout are feeding, the size and colour of the midge and what they are latching on to. I have found simple works best and 80% of trout I catch are on black buzzers with orange cheeks and a simple white floss breather (like the picture I posted in my last post). I don't think there is an equivalent to this type of fishing in course fishing but it must be that these midges form a big part of a course fishes diet, particularly blood worm for the like of tench and other bottom feeders.

know what you mean about the bait fish, loved watching the fry creating tiny patterns on the surface as a perch attacked, even though the perch were barely bigger than them.
It is amazing on the big English waters like Rutland and Grafham watching the trout attack balls of fry. Both hunter and prey erupting the surface of the water. Gives the gulls a good feed too.

Well done mate and really good you are prioritising the well being of the fish rather than making sure you land one. That is the sign of a bloody good angler.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.