Bring the Noise

I'm probably going to get pelters here but i knocked it on the head at the end of last season after 40 years. It might be in the eyes of many daft in light of the what's going on on the pitch but i could take no more of the truly' awful 'match day experience', the appalling atmosphere, the sanitised soulless empty feeling i have. I now watch local non league football and a bit of groundhopping north of the border and i absolutely love it, i don't miss the Etihad one bit and i've really got a spring in my step once again on Saturday afternoons.

I can't fault the football its marvellous but i feel completely detached from MCFC off the park, it's beyond cringeworthy. We have a strange support in terms of demographics, i don't subscribe to the notion that it's much more middle class, the club is still primarlily supported by ordinary working class fans from the Greater Manchester, we have less tourists still than other top clubs but a real dearth of match going fans in the 18-30 range which might explain the lack of atmosphere. The Club don't want 18-30 working class lads watching the team, despite the cosmetics ticking of boxes they couldn't care less which is very sad indeed.

No mate all fair comments and your only responsibility is to yourself and enjoying your life as much as you can.

In some ways I am jealous as fans we never enjoyed our success prior to how corporate football became. Supporters have turned into customers to be monetised and engagement with fans comes through PR graduates thinking up catchy slogans like ‘believe’ ‘together’ etc and all this other generic nonsense.

Football at the top level just reflects society now with the globalisation of brands. Following a football team 40 years ago was more than turning up expecting to be entertained it was a right of passage, an expression of loyalty, and an act of solidarity with your mates and the town you were born or the club you felt an affinity with.

Now you just feel part of a corporate brand. More than anything its the kids I feel sorry for. As a lad I used to watch my heroes down at Platt lane, trudge back to Maine Road behind them, eaves dropping on their conversations etc. Now the closest most get is when the players walk in at the entrance, insulated from interaction behind their oversized headphones.

So glad I witnessed 2012, with a fanbase who deserved it more than anybody, but yes football leaves me cold at times nowadays. In fairness I do not blame the majority on City for this just the way the world has travelled.

I think it’s fair game most of the stick we get tbh. Our home support despite being very decent in numbers is the worse in the league. Have we all gone complacent? I sit in 107 and that block has gone from being loud well supported area on the fringes of the singing corner, to being a block that can’t be arsed or half arsed to stand for a dangerous attack or a corner and this is the same faces who have been in there from the beginning so can’t blame tourists or JCLs

I agree the atmosphere wasn’t great yesterday, but I bet it wasn’t much better at most grounds. We are lucky to see a great side playing amazing football which imho doesn’t help the atmosphere as were all too busy watching and admiring the football. The support does react to when we are pushing for a goal or when we score. Ok apart the big games we are not constant, so what. I love watching this team play and I do shout my wee head off and sing at times. I don’t think having the away support in such a large place which also splits up what singing sections we do have helps. I don’t know if sticking them all up in ssl3 would help and give us level 1&2 as one wud help the noise. Is there any solution, not sure. I think safe standing wud help a little bit how much I don’t know. As for the early leavers I just don’t understand. We travel 600mile return journey every game and don’t leave till the final whistle no matter what. But it is there choice and they pay there money. It’s just a sign of the time’s for me and I think it happens at all grounds. Plus our travel infrastructure around ground is awful

I think it’s fair game most of the stick we get tbh. Our home support despite being very decent in numbers is the worse in the league. Have we all gone complacent? I sit in 107 and that block has gone from being loud well supported area on the fringes of the singing corner, to being a block that can’t be arsed or half arsed to stand for a dangerous attack or a corner and this is the same faces who have been in there from the beginning so can’t blame tourists or JCLs
It’s not the worst in the league at all. How would you know unless you attended home games of all the other clubs every week. Don’t believe the hype.

Our home support is not the worst in the league. That is miles off the mark. But it’s far from being the best either.

I agree the atmosphere wasn’t great yesterday, but I bet it wasn’t much better at most grounds. We are lucky to see a great side playing amazing football which imho doesn’t help the atmosphere as were all too busy watching and admiring the football. The support does react to when we are pushing for a goal or when we score. Ok apart the big games we are not constant, so what. I love watching this team play and I do shout my wee head off and sing at times. I don’t think having the away support in such a large place which also splits up what singing sections we do have helps. I don’t know if sticking them all up in ssl3 would help and give us level 1&2 as one wud help the noise. Is there any solution, not sure. I think safe standing wud help a little bit how much I don’t know. As for the early leavers I just don’t understand. We travel 600mile return journey every game and don’t leave till the final whistle no matter what. But it is there choice and they pay there money. It’s just a sign of the time’s for me and I think it happens at all grounds. Plus our travel infrastructure around ground is awful

Unfortunately a % of away fans have to be pitch side. That was brought in by the PL to encourage and to protect the atmosphere at matches. Certain clubs get special dispensation to keep away fans up in the Gods. United, Newcastle, etc.

No mate all fair comments and your only responsibility is to yourself and enjoying your life as much as you can.

In some ways I am jealous as fans we never enjoyed our success prior to how corporate football became. Supporters have turned into customers to be monetised and engagement with fans comes through PR graduates thinking up catchy slogans like ‘believe’ ‘together’ etc and all this other generic nonsense.

Football at the top level just reflects society now with the globalisation of brands. Following a football team 40 years ago was more than turning up expecting to be entertained it was a right of passage, an expression of loyalty, and an act of solidarity with your mates and the town you were born or the club you felt an affinity with.

Now you just feel part of a corporate brand. More than anything its the kids I feel sorry for. As a lad I used to watch my heroes down at Platt lane, trudge back to Maine Road behind them, eaves dropping on their conversations etc. Now the closest most get is when the players walk in at the entrance, insulated from interaction behind their oversized headphones.

So glad I witnessed 2012, with a fanbase who deserved it more than anybody, but yes football leaves me cold at times nowadays. In fairness I do not blame the majority on City for this just the way the world has travelled.

Top post.

I reckon most of the people who moan about the atmosphere are the ones who don't contribute at all.
Would love to know why people fck off early. I mean where the fck do they need to be that's so much better than the football?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.