Bundesliga review part 2. the new one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruhr said:
back from beer to football.

Tonight is the return of the Lower Saxony derby: Hannover 96 vs. Eintracht Braunschweig.
First played in the Bundesliga since 1976.
The rivalry dates back to the 17th century. Well, not in football, but between the two cities. Both were independent states in most parts of german history and both have their roots in the nobility of the "Welfen", who also played a role on some island in the Atlantic, as far as i know.

Must be about the 17th century, when Hannover became more important than Braunschweig.
The first football match ever in germany was played in 1874 in Braunschweig, where also the first german football rules were written down. Hannover had the first football club in 1878, but that was just the name "football club", they played Rugby indeed.

After the war the Brits founded the state of Lower Saxony with Hannover as capital, while Braunschweig near to the east german border was marginalized. The revenge came in 1963, when Eintracht Braunschweig was chosen as starting member of the Bundesliga and not Hannover (with Braunschweig winning the title in 1967)

To play it on dark friday evening is not really a clever idea, but sunday marks the fourth anniversary of the suicide of Hannover keeper Robert Enke, so Hannover wanted it not to near to that date. (A pig running around Hannover streets yesterday with a Hannover scarf around his neck and the number 1 written on his body may give an idea, why they were afraid of it played on sunday)

All media expecting a riot, but hopefully it stays calm tonight

Atmosphere has been mental here all week, I live near Hannover and they are talking about nothing else. My girlfriend and her family are all Eintracht fans. They could have sold over 100,000 tickets for the game tonight.

bayern blade said:
Ruhr said:
back from beer to football.

Tonight is the return of the Lower Saxony derby: Hannover 96 vs. Eintracht Braunschweig.
First played in the Bundesliga since 1976.
The rivalry dates back to the 17th century. Well, not in football, but between the two cities. Both were independent states in most parts of german history and both have their roots in the nobility of the "Welfen", who also played a role on some island in the Atlantic, as far as i know.

Must be about the 17th century, when Hannover became more important than Braunschweig.
The first football match ever in germany was played in 1874 in Braunschweig, where also the first german football rules were written down. Hannover had the first football club in 1878, but that was just the name "football club", they played Rugby indeed.

After the war the Brits founded the state of Lower Saxony with Hannover as capital, while Braunschweig near to the east german border was marginalized. The revenge came in 1963, when Eintracht Braunschweig was chosen as starting member of the Bundesliga and not Hannover (with Braunschweig winning the title in 1967)

To play it on dark friday evening is not really a clever idea, but sunday marks the fourth anniversary of the suicide of Hannover keeper Robert Enke, so Hannover wanted it not to near to that date. (A pig running around Hannover streets yesterday with a Hannover scarf around his neck and the number 1 written on his body may give an idea, why they were afraid of it played on sunday)

All media expecting a riot, but hopefully it stays calm tonight

Atmosphere has been mental here all week, I live near Hannover and they are talking about nothing else. My girlfriend and her family are all Eintracht fans. They could have sold over 100,000 tickets for the game tonight.

One of the few derbies in Germany that rivals Schalke - Dortmund in terms of hatred. Only other derbies I can think of at the moment that have a similar impact on a town/region are red Munich - blue Munich, Frankfurt - Offenbach, Chemie Leipzig - Lok Leipzig, Düsseldorf - Köln and maybe the Hamburg Derby.

Bembeltown said:
One of the few derbies in Germany that rivals Schalke - Dortmund in terms of hatred. Only other derbies I can think of at the moment that have a similar impact on a town/region are red Munich - blue Munich, Frankfurt - Offenbach, Chemie Leipzig - Lok Leipzig, Düsseldorf - Köln and maybe the Hamburg Derby.

hate derbies in germany

Schalke - Borussia Dortmund
Schalke - RW Essen
Hannover 96 - Eintracht Braunschweig
BFC Dynamo - Union Berlin
Lok Leipzig - Chemie Leipzig
Eintracht Frankfurt - Kickers Offenbach
Borussia Mönchengladbach - 1 FC Köln
1. FC Köln - Fortuna Düsseldorf
Hamburger SV - FC St. Pauli
FC St. Pauli - Hansa Rostock
VFB Stuttgart - Karlsruher SC
Hamburger SV - Werder Bremen

(surely 1. FC Nürnberg - Bayern München and Eintracht Frankfurt - 1. FC Kaiserslautern, but both not a classical derby regarding the distances)

have i forgotten one?

Ruhr said:
Bembeltown said:

hate derbies in germany

Schalke - RW Essen

(surely 1. FC Nürnberg - Bayern München and Eintracht Frankfurt - 1. FC Kaiserslautern, but both not a classical derby regarding the distances)

have i forgotten one?

i think i'm right if i put werder bremen-hannover 96 too..

Chaps, love the Eintracht Frankfurt. Pippi langstrumpf videos on you tube. Addictive. Chant that one. Great fans

MihaiCity said:
Ruhr said:
Bembeltown said:

hate derbies in germany

Schalke - RW Essen

have i forgotten one?

i think i'm right if i put werder bremen-hannover 96 too..

The list Ruhr has posted is pretty much complete, there are a couple more match ups that are called derbies, however I wouldnt consider Hannover - Bremen or Frankfurt - Mainz "real" derbies. The real derbies usually dont happen that often anymore due to teams playing in different leagues, so people come up with what I would call backup derbies like the above mentioned.

I am actually having a hard time considering Frankfurt - Lautern a proper derby. Sure we hate each other with a passion, but nothing beats Frankfurt - Offenbach when it comes to pure and raw hatred. Distance surely makes the difference....

Be right back, need to wash my mouth/keyboard as I mentioned the village across the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.