Burnley (A) Post Match Thread

We drew away from home. Fuck, but I can hear United breathing down our necks.

Sterling. Truth is, if you can put that horrendous miss aside — difficult, I recognise — he had a significantly greater creative impact on the game than Kun. He was busy down that flank, always threatening, always trying to create things, always making the Burnley defence deeply uncomfortable. Sergio, on the other hand: I genuinely forgot that Kun was playing. When I saw him coming off at the end, I realised to my astonishment that I'd assumed that without my noticing it that he'd been substituted at some point. Love the guy, but when he goes missing, he goes missing big time.
Sure, we should have put the game to bed. Don't forget that Ederson had to pull out one good save, and one that was astonishing. What a keeper. And sure we will be punished for that against the big teams in the CL, if we don't take those chances.
13 point lead. One week's full holiday. Steady as she goes.
Can't understand your analysis about Kun.
I was well aware he was playing - could have done better with two presentable chances that fell to his left foot, might have picked up the rebound from a KDB shot and generally ran into traffic or chose the wrong option.
Not his best game.

Whilst Kompany was not as bad as some make out and with Laporte so new and Stones unable to play it was not really an option to leave him out.

But what was important was that Burnley targetted him and tried to play on his fragility and I think that was a factor in them going at us late on every bit as much as us not killing the game was.

I think Pep is as tired as the players after so many mentally demanding games and made uncharacteristic errors himself today - such as not leaving Sterling on given how many late goals he has got for us and the special reason to want one today and not bringing Laporte on for Kompany with 20 minutes to go.

So his decision to shut up the club and all take several days off now is very wise. He has a few days to get them fired up for Leicester and Basel in another two tough games in what will be many for the next couple of months.

We are a fine football team, playing the type of football that has not been seen in this country so consistently, these guys are not machines they are human, given the amount of games played, and, injuries to key players, our points total is something to be proud of. Feel better now I got that off my chest.
So putting everything in perspective a draw away to Burnley is hardly a disaster.

Someone made an interesting point. After last weekend we were 12 points clear, two games later and we are 13 points clear so we have actually gained a point, as disappointing not winning today was.

Thank God we have a clear week now before the next game, if I was Pep I wouldn't have them in until Wednesday at least, we need to rest totally. The amount of games and our injuries are mentally and physically taking it's toll. Credit to Burnley for hanging in there though people forget they have a fair few injuries as well.

It is a shame we couldn't have got another forward in before the window shut, I'd have even taken Giroud for the price, just s different option for games like today.

To this point we have probably had the best season that any English team has ever had. That takes a hell of an effort so if the players are showing some signs of tiredness, it's no surprise.

Ideally, we would have add some additional quality - beyond Laporte - to help us fully capitalise on what has been achieved so far. These are the hard yards now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.