Cavani Speculation/News 3 (or 4)

Shaelumstash said:
I completely disagree. Spain's possession two touch, movement, pass you to death style is not suited to Cavani at all. He's a battering ram, physical, quick old fashioned number 9.

A centre forward can flourish in Spain's team. Look at Soldado tonight and he is a level below Cavani. Negredo has also scored quite a few goals for Spain and he is another level down. They create chances and a striker like Cavani would eat them up. Spain would love a striker of Cavani's quality, it's the only department they're somewhat lacking in. Since Torres and Villa's declines they have not had a top of the line centre forward and in some games haven't even bothered playing one.

Jumanji said:
I think we will play 1 traditional 9 up front (Cavani) since he likes to stay on the defensive line, and Aguero in his more lethal role as a marauding striker where he can pop out of nowhere to evade markings and carry the ball a bit more with those drives from midfield we've seen on rare occasions and for Athletico.

This is what I have been saying too and reckon will happen. Our pursuit of an elite level striker isn't so we can rotate he and Aguero - it's to play them together but with Aguero roaming as he likes to do. Last season would have taught our club a lesson... stripping the team of the second striker and replacing him with a low goal scoring attacking midfielder is not the way to solve our goal scoring problem.

Everyone expects opposing forwards to have a difficult time against Spain. I was looking for Cavani to produce just 1 or 2 moments in the entire game that might indicate he has something special to offer. Even if that was just managing to make a defender do something hurried. There was nothing in the entire game. Compare to the horrible Suarez who made himself the outlet ball on many occasions and by shear persistence managed to affect the game.
Difficult to be certain on judgement from the TV and the pillar-box view you get of the game, but Cavani not even a 30m player for me - unless regular watchers are suggesting he had flu tonight.

Jumanji said:
I think we will play 1 traditional 9 up front (Cavani) since he likes to stay on the defensive line, and Aguero in his more lethal role as a marauding striker...

Why not have Dzeko be that traditional #9?

TexasBlueMoon said:
Jumanji said:
I think we will play 1 traditional 9 up front (Cavani) since he likes to stay on the defensive line, and Aguero in his more lethal role as a marauding striker...

We should do like Bayern to Gomez and tell Dzeko not to touch the ball lol just wait for the pass, cross, or cutback.

Attacking moves just tend to break down with great frequency when Edin participates in the build up...and he tries to too much.

Jumanji said:
TexasBlueMoon said:
Jumanji said:

We should do like Bayern to Gomez and tell Dzeko not to touch the ball lol just wait for the pass, cross, or cutback.

Attacking moves just tend to break down with great frequency when Edin participates in the build up...and he tries to too much.

That's what I would do with whoever is going to play the number 9 position next season.

Simeone did it with Falcao as well from what I have read, he had seen he was working too much off the ball, dropping deep etc.. so he just told him to stay around the box and just focus on scoring goals.

One thing I hate with Dzeko is when he passed the ball and he is on the wing, what is he doing out there?? Get in the box and stay there.

sam-caddick said:
That's what I would do with whoever is going to play the number 9 position next season.

Simeone did it with Falcao as well from what I have read, he had seen he was working too much off the ball, dropping deep etc.. so he just told him to stay around the box and just focus on scoring goals.

One thing I hate with Dzeko is when he passed the ball and he is on the wing, what is he doing out there?? Get in the box and stay there.
Same is true of van Persie. He was used in a deeper "number 10" role for most of his career and wasn't as prolific as he is now as a result. Though he also had a ridiculous injury record which no doubt hurt his tally. I remember him scoring high on the assists charts back in the day for Arsenal but not being noted as a prolific finisher, certainly not like he is today.

Well, this striker discussion is certainly something. No idea what would be best for us to do.

Everyone' is in the Showroom right now and wants the New Car, the latest model, and know's they have the money in the bank...

The way MP sets up and will play is perfect for Dzeko.

First touch and so on comes with Confidence and when you're in a shit system, not scoring and not "enjoying" your football - confidence disappears and mistakes are more prone.

I would prefer it if we stuck two fingers up to the high asking prices and stayed with Dzeko as the player to play in the system with the effective wingers.

RSC looks a complete different player under MP.

Cavani tonight is what I've been saying about Cavani all the time... take him out of Napoli setup that fits him perfectly and he's not worth half of the fee they want for him.

Never 60 million player. Never was and never will be.<br /><br />-- Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:28 am --<br /><br />
LoveCity said:
nomorethaksintimes said:
Cavani did nothing and for the fee Napoli want, he should be - service or no service.

What exactly should have done? Please enlighten us. Should he have gone into his own half, collected the ball from the goalkeeper, and dribbled past the entire Spain team and scored?

This reminds me of when Ibrahimovic had a few bad games on ITV and was an "overrated shit footballer"............

Ibrahimovic is 4 times player Cavani is, and he proved that in many different clubs in many different teams, in many different football styles, it has absolutely nothing with that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.