City and Religion

I started going to City in the mid-nineties and there was a significant amount of Rangers paraphernalia in and around the ground, some of it still visible today. I think it's the Belfast branch with the flag with the City and Rangers crests on it which shows for some at least, a link remains. Whether this leads to us being some sort of Loyalist/Protestant club is of course tenuous but we are seen in some quarters as being the proddy club to the filth being the Catholic one.

I've met plenty of blues of Irish stock in Manchester but most seemed to tend towards the dark side. I remember once sat in a pub near Maine Road watching a republic of Ireland game when my mate was heckled by a few lads as he was wearing a City top. I've also watched Ireland games in Levenshulme and the keane/united songs would be booed only by a minority of us blues.
I've also had a few comments aimed at me for being Irish at games but you get dickheads everywhere, we're no different at City.

The Irish have a long tradition of glory hunting, Liverpool, Celtic and united are by far the most popular teams over here and suddenly everyone likes rugby as we're good at it!
However, there was a Munich funeral in Dublin and there was always a strong tradition of high profile players going back to Johnny Carey, George Best etc. signing for united.

From what I've read, Busby brought a lot of this Catholic ethos to united. They scouted more in Catholic schools and I've even heard that priests may have got a discount as paying customers back in the day!
There's certainly no definitive religious divide between the clubs but it's definitely something you hear being bandied about now and again

i went to school in the fifties i also remember the munich disaster, the catholics went home early that day,we didnt. all the catholics got free reserve reds tickets,now and again we the prods got city reserve tickets, fact

Ric said:
There's always been tenuous links between City & Rangers (and likewise United & Celtic) so I think there's something in it. Not been an issue in my lifetime though, I know as many Catholic Blues as I know Protestant City fans.

+ 1

Personally the only thing I've ever worshipped at Maine Road was Colin Bell

Damocles said:
I've been speaking to some relatives who are extremely long term City fans over the Xmas period, and my Dad, my Dad's Dad, my Mum's Dad and my Mum's older brother have all seperately said to me that there used to be a large religious divide between the Manchester Clubs and City were seen as the Protestants whilst United were the Catholics.

Whilst I've always heard this knocked about, does anybody have any idea if there was a real split or if it was one of those urban legends that got around?

When was the last time MANUre showed ANY Christian charity!

poyntontom said:
i went to school in the fifties i also remember the munich disaster, the catholics went home early that day,we didnt. all the catholics got free reserve reds tickets,now and again we the prods got city reserve tickets, fact

my C of e school only ever got City tickets whilst the local catholic school only ever got tickets for the rags and that was in the mid to late seventies

I heard a story that sounds plausible, but could be based on complete Urban Myth, so would appreciate any clarification from Gary James if possible.

I was always told that the Jewish community had significant shareholdings and discreetly were an influential powerbase behind City, but when we signed Bert Trautmann they refused to inject further cash and withdrew their support, clearly as they were understandably offended by the signing of a German P.O.W. This situation remained until recent years with the appointment of David Bernstein, at which point relations between City and the Jewish community were re-established.

I've heard this story from a number of people, but am conscious it could not be fact based, and just the opinion of fans at that point in time. In a way, as a Catholic, I hope there is a grain of truth in it, because it would mean that a club formed from a Protestant Background, welcomed Catholics into positions of power, was bankrolled by the Jews before passing custody of the club to a Muslim...there's a rich tapestry for you!

blueshortshorts said:
I heard a story that sounds plausible, but could be based on complete Urban Myth, so would appreciate any clarification from Gary James if possible.

I was always told that the Jewish community had significant shareholdings and discreetly were an influential powerbase behind City, but when we signed Bert Trautmann they refused to inject further cash and withdrew their support, clearly as they were understandably offended by the signing of a German P.O.W. This situation remained until recent years with the appointment of David Bernstein, at which point relations between City and the Jewish community were re-established.

I've heard this story from a number of people, but am conscious it could not be fact based, and just the opinion of fans at that point in time. In a way, as a Catholic, I hope there is a grain of truth in it, because it would mean that a club formed from a Protestant Background, welcomed Catholics into positions of power, was bankrolled by the Jews before passing custody of the club to a Muslim...there's a rich tapestry for you!
I'm certainly not aware that City was ever bankrolled by Jews for one thing. However, there is some truth in the history of United as mainly a Catholic club and City as a Protestant one and it's said that the Jewish community largely (but certainly not exclusively) tended to favour the Protestant side and therefore City. However, more likely they would watch both clubs on alternate weeks. The major influence behind City, certainly up to the 1970's has often been held to be Masonic, rather than any religion.

There certainly was an initial outcry when Trautmann was signed but that wasn't just from the Jewish community. There was also a proposal to withdraw support from City among some Jewish organisations but the controversy went far beyond Manchester's Jewish community.

The communal Rabbi, Dr Altmann (himself a German refugee) met Trautmann, was impressed with his sincerity and told the Jewish community that one man could not be blamed for the sins of others. They became friends and Altmann's actions probably had a lot to do with Bert's own desire to heal divisions between people. Altmann's actions also had an impact beyond the Jewish community and the fuss soon died down.

There were Jewish directors long before Bernstein, with Sidney Rose joining the board in 1964, although he'd been closely associated with the club for many years before that. Michael Horwich also joined the board, in the early 1970's and there were others.

mancunial said:
Well known in the 60s, but we did have a large Jewish following I heard in the 40s and 50s but for me any blue is the man in my eyes, so HAPPY NEW YEAR to every blue of any creed or colour x

Yoh !! Ditto !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.