City fans - a frightening new insight...

I'm 27; I come from a big blue family with generations having been City regulars going back to the 1920's and 30's; half of my family are from Moss Side and this makes me feel deep rooted to City and City is in my blood! I've been going regularly since 1988/89 (going to as many as 10-25 games every season - SC holder since 2003!)

History is a strange thing to say you have or tell others they do not have. Every club from Notts County to MK Dons has history. Whether that includes trophy after trophy, relegation after relegation, or completely uneventful years where they seem to finish midtable and get nowhere in the cups; it's all history!

United and Liverpool fans may look at our 2 league titles, 4 FA Cups, 2 league cups, 1 European Cup Winners Cup and Charity Shields and think we've won fuck all and have no history. But we HAVE won leagues, domestic cups and a European trophy; there are 80 odd other clubs in this country that cannot say that. Look at Rangers and Celtic (I know Scottish football is abysmal right now) - for as big their fans think their clubs are, we've won as many European trophies as them two massive clubs.

Ask Liverpool and United fans about football before the war and they have no knowledge or recognition of anything, they actually DON'T know their history. Look at where Preston Blackpool and Burnley have been in recent years; but back before the war they could have looked at Liverpool and United and called them small clubs with no history. Things changed and they created a football world with big sponsorship, money, media interest, money, over indulgent success, money, plc's, money, boasting, money, arrogance, money etc. But all this has become old and boring - the same two teams couldn't carry on winning all the trophies - and their overidulgance has come to bite them as previous owners have tried to make money out of their success and these clubs are in a mess! Now other clubs (City and Chelsea) have took their 80's and 90's models and taken football into a new era where we may look at Liverpool and United and see them like Preston Blackpool and Burnley have been looked upon for decades. It's not inconceivable. Football will change over the next few years and just like Preston Blackpool and Burnleys history and success counted for nothing when they faded after footballs last big change - it will happen again!

Liverpool how does your 60odd thousand best compare to our 85,000? United how come you've twice nearly gone out of business because you were shit and couldn't get any fans in to watch you (less than 1,000 for a Newton Heath game in the first decade of the 1900's, and regular crowds of 4,000 and lending other clubs old kits in the late 1920's) compare to our 30,000 in Div2?

As for City. Well yes we've won a fair amount of trophies (as mentioned above), we've had the greatest English club ground attendances (don't we hold 4 of the top 5 all-time biggest club ground attendances?) ever, we've had some of the best loyalty shown by any club's fans with our attendances in Div2, we've had over 1,000,000 fans turn up in the streets to welcome our trophy winning sides home more than once (yes, that's one million)(!), we've had our ups and downs, we've had our scandals, we've had pretty much everything any of the most successful clubs have had and ten times more just without the amount of metal bowls and cups these clubs have had. But we've had our history!

I wouldn't go overboard about what we've won because 14 other clubs have won more (Huddersfield SheffW Sunderland Newcastle etc etc all won more league titles than us - yes even Huddersfield!), and that "great" team many bang on about (too much if you ask me, and me Grandad who says there were many great players like Doherty worthy of Colin Bell-like status with stands being named after him!) of the late 60's won the league in 1968 but finished 13th and 15th in the two seasons either side of that (I've never understood that to be honest, they couldn't have been that good!), and getting relegated after our one other league title win.

We're not as big as many think we are, we aren't as small as many think we are! We're a reasonably sized club with some success and some interesting history! Nothing more, nothing less! And as I said at the top every club has history!

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I had the misfortune yesterday evening to view and participate in a Robinho thread which basically turned into a mocking of our club.

It was biggest realisation yet that some part of the club I have loved for all my 35 years are going to change, and not for the better.

Maybe it is a reflection of todays all about me society, but this club has attracted a new wave of turds who would not be out of place at OT.

MCFCDave and Allan Harper, a disgrace to City fans.

One who believes we have no history or heritage, and Allan Harper, who says who gives a fuck about the past, he wasn't around and it never affected him.

(Tell that to the millions of people who died in two World Wars - fuckstick)

Jesus, is this where we're now at. Infested with a new generation of gimmegimmegimmes, nownownow.

Someone who doesn't give a fuck about Colin Bell, Frank Swift and all the other great players who have pulled on the blue shirt.

I've never seen us win a trophy, and these ***** want stop me enjoying it when it finally does come.

But I was hooked on City by the tales of yesteryear, by Dad telling me about Colin Bell, like some sort of mythical god.

What I am trying to say, we should NEVER forget where we have come from and what it has taken to get us here.

Our not so trophy-laden past was one of the main reasons why Sheikh Mansour decided to wake this slumbering giant.

Now we have piggy-backers and fans who only think football started at the inception of the Premiership.

I know what my club is, I wouldn't have it any other way, what I don't need is a so-called new breed of City fans who try to tell us success means everything - even at the expense of our history.

Here's the thread for a sample of the type of people we now have following us.

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169499&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169499&start=30</a>

Dosent matter if what i posted was or was'nt my opionon what makes your opionon on city the norm for all city fans. to say im a disgrace for saying what happened before i was born (1976) didnt effect me and then bringing the war into it is just as stupid as what i posted. Of course it didnt effect me i wasnt born !. I didnt have any father figure when i was a kid telling me how good City where in 70s or how good frank swift was in goal, no one i new at the time of picking city as my team (1989/90) supported city. Ive read a few books on city in fact the Goater book and the history of Maine rd takes pride on my bedside table i read them often especially when we've been beaten !.. Yes i am a disgrace as ive just sent my daughter home to her mum after an hours visit and why ? because im a die hard city fan and that cost me my family. thats got fuck all to do with you though just like the other lenghts ive gone to to see City play.
You call me a new breed of fan, ill back my loyality to City against anyone giving me shit and abuse on this thread. So forgive me if the 20 years of my history of watching city as been nothing but torture, i want to look to the future as its such an exciting time after all the years of hurt. Thats how i wanna look at things if you dont like that then you can start another abusive thread cos i really couldnt give a fuck. Ill be at Burnley saturday and ill see you all there because obviously you all go week in week out and have done since your first breathe..

p.s im shit at spelling and gramma so abuse me some more.
Id rather you abused me than pick on a fellow blue who you all accused of being a rag because you didnt like what he had to say...

-- Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:10 pm --

GStar said:
Can't believe how many people actually agree with Tolmie on this.

I can't say i've noticed mcfcdave's posts... but Alan Harper's quite obviously been going week in week out for a rather long time. To call him a "new breed of fan" is a bit ridiculous and to take his history remarks of out context is jumping the gun.

I understand what he means, History is history, we all take the piss out of Liverpool for banging out about it and using it as a cloak to mask the fact they've done fuck all domestically for decades. We can be proud of our own history, unspectacular honours wise as it is, but its never going to change and, with where we are now, its become pretty much irrelevent.

Our club died and was reborn in the summer of 2008, its a completely differnet entity with rich Arab routes and visions of leading football into a new era... we'll go forward most likely in spite of what our past has shown, so like Allan said; "i can't change the past, i want to enjoy the future."

I don't think theres anything wrong with that tbh. This "new fan" shite is so easily thrown around... we get less in CoMS now than we did 6 years ago, so explain that one to me.

cheers mate, someone who dosent take it face value. thanks x x<br /><br />-- Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:12 pm --<br /><br />
The Fixer said:
allan harper said:
Fucking he'll !
posting off mi phone already written a reply but it never made it on the board. You can abuse me all you like just like most of you did to dave just because his opinion didn't match yours. The fuck your history remark was bang out of order and for that I apologize as I've read loads of books on city and maine rd. I was trying to stick up for dave as you may think ganging up on a blue is clever cos his opinion dosent match yours but hind sight I went about the wrong way for that I'm sorry. Continue to abuse me ill still be at burnley saturday.

Fooking Quality Alan, this is what i posted earlier mate...

"mcfcdave is a tool and imo probably a rag!!"

"Alan is a good guy though tolmie, i'm sure on reflection he would take back what he said, Alan follows city home and away and i suggest his comments about not giving a "fcuk" about are past history were off the cuff remark. Just my opinion."

And you'd be right fixer, cheers mate.

Bigga said:
Nowt surprises me, lately.

I've been shocked at some of the comments I've read about our players and manager by some 'fans'. Offering such stellar contributions such as "He's sh*t!", "He's clueless!". Brilliant stuff.

I cannot be bothered with the new lot, to be fair. I don't think I've read anything from worth responding to in an intellectual capacity. It's all about slagging players off. Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel in this dept., BUT I've had reason to criticise and have always hoped the said player/s improved.

At least, pre- Sheik Mansour, we regularly had topical debates about tactics, the worth of Sven et al. Now, it's about, let's get rid of him and buy "xxx". And that's pretty much it.

Well, maybe I do a disservice to the board, but these are the stand out threads around, right now.

damn Bigga, I agree with you again (twice in one day?) is this a problem?

;o)

Its good to have a look at the history of a club in my opinion and it's great to remember the good old days especially if, like me, you saw City win something !!

BUT

As for the future? obviously I'd love the club to win something but honestly I don't care if we don't. I am not a glory hunter you see and I love the fact that this separates me from the likes of those who follow Man u, Chelsea , Liverpool and Arsenal or the boo boys of aston villa.

MCFCinUSA said:
Bigga said:
Nowt surprises me, lately.

I've been shocked at some of the comments I've read about our players and manager by some 'fans'. Offering such stellar contributions such as "He's sh*t!", "He's clueless!". Brilliant stuff.

I cannot be bothered with the new lot, to be fair. I don't think I've read anything from worth responding to in an intellectual capacity. It's all about slagging players off. Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel in this dept., BUT I've had reason to criticise and have always hoped the said player/s improved.

At least, pre- Sheik Mansour, we regularly had topical debates about tactics, the worth of Sven et al. Now, it's about, let's get rid of him and buy "xxx". And that's pretty much it.

Well, maybe I do a disservice to the board, but these are the stand out threads around, right now.

damn Bigga, I agree with you again (twice in one day?) is this a problem?

;o)

I quite like it! I used to be the most disagreed person on the site, so it seemed!

Somebody's slipped something in my water, me thinks...

I am 19 and have been a season ticket holder for 13 years, and i find the clubs heritage absolutley fascinating, and i dont know how others don't.

I was at my girlfriends house last night with her mum's rag boyfriend and the 3 of them were amazed that i knew Franny Lee was our highest post war goalscorer in one season, but players like him and colin bell actually mean alot to this club, and so naturally to myself.

MCFCDave last night, said that chelsea was a club of greater history than us, based entirely on the mourinho years, how can a club who last won the league 50 years before hand, be a club with a MASSIVE history. I could not believe it, i really couldnt.

The thing that amazes me the most about the fans of this club now, is that some of them will never even realise the impact of players i remember, such as goater, dickov, kinkladze, and my all time favourite.............................................................

RICHARD EDGHILL !

when im at the games now i cant believe how many prats there are around us that have not been going long and talk utter shite and getting quite tedeous listening to them,sometimes i do wish we were back in the 2nd division doldrums when we did have a laugh at the games even though we were shite

joe salford said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
I had the misfortune yesterday evening to view and participate in a Robinho thread which basically turned into a mocking of our club.

It was biggest realisation yet that some part of the club I have loved for all my 35 years are going to change, and not for the better.

Maybe it is a reflection of todays all about me society, but this club has attracted a new wave of turds who would not be out of place at OT.

MCFCDave and Allan Harper, a disgrace to City fans.

One who believes we have no history or heritage, and Allan Harper, who says who gives a fuck about the past, he wasn't around and it never affected him.

(Tell that to the millions of people who died in two World Wars - fuckstick)

Jesus, is this where we're now at. Infested with a new generation of gimmegimmegimmes, nownownow.

Someone who doesn't give a fuck about Colin Bell, Frank Swift and all the other great players who have pulled on the blue shirt.

I've never seen us win a trophy, and these ***** want stop me enjoying it when it finally does come.

But I was hooked on City by the tales of yesteryear, by Dad telling me about Colin Bell, like some sort of mythical god.

What I am trying to say, we should NEVER forget where we have come from and what it has taken to get us here.

Our not so trophy-laden past was one of the main reasons why Sheikh Mansour decided to wake this slumbering giant.

Now we have piggy-backers and fans who only think football started at the inception of the Premiership.

I know what my club is, I wouldn't have it any other way, what I don't need is a so-called new breed of City fans who try to tell us success means everything - even at the expense of our history.

Here's the thread for a sample of the type of people we now have following us.

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169499&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169499&start=30</a>
well said. I too got embroiled in that 'debate'. I maybe was a little harsh on Allanharper but really, i hope he realises just what he was saying was complete tripe. It would be interesting to see why these so called fans starting 'supporting' (used lightly!) City in the 1st place. If it wasnt our history then what exactly?
I fear the day we start winning things it is going to get worse. I pray we do not end up like our Stretford neighbours

No you wasnt, you posted how you felt at the time so fair play so did i.
Oh and i started supporting City because of the fans in the Kippax, the atmosphere and how id never wittenessed anything like it before. I didnt have blue drilled in me by family members it was the fans who treated me to an experance id never new exsisted. No one in my family or any of my mates supported city but fuck me ive turn a few blue around here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.