Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

Cats in Space new album Kickstart the Sun.
For anyone that loves 70s classic pomp /glam rock, with vocal harmonies a sprinkling of Queen, ELO, Styx but still a strong Cats in Space identity. This album is one you shouldn't be missing out on, but then their previous 4 were great too. This though theur best and IMO the album of the year so far. Hugely original perhaps not, but then who else doing this now.. and certainly not this well.

Have heard a lot on some sites raving about this lot for sometime now. We were at Bury Met last night (First Thursday Comedy Club in downstairs room ... always an excellent night) and saw they are playing there soon ... will check them out.

Have heard a lot on some sites raving about this lot for sometime now. We were at Bury Met last night (First Thursday Comedy Club in downstairs room ... always an excellent night) and saw they are playing there soon ... will check them out.
I'd be very surprised if they aren't your cup of tea.

I’ve tried but I just can”t take to Arnel, either live nor on the new album, though the production does him no favours on that it’s awful. For me he just lacks personality and energy. Like he’s in a cupboard.
I see why they got him but for me the braver choice would have been to stick with Jeff Scott Soto. I also think if they wanted somebody sounding more like Perry , thry obviously did, their best choice is sat behind the drums, Deen Castanova.
Arnel is ok live; certainly doesn't lack energy but taking over from Perry is a big ask.

Castranova sang lead on one song live and was very good.

Listened to it for the first time, big smile on my face. Totally over the top tongue in cheek seventies pastiche.
Not sure tongue in cheek is quite fair, I think they wear their influences on their sleeves but are big fans of those influences and take what they do seriously and do it very well. I take them far more seriously than I could ever take The Darkness for example.

Love Collins and Genesis. Here's one of my favorites.

Old school persay, but fair to escribe that Collins excelled himself on that track. The whole album concept still had the same Genesis feel and resanace that would eventually morph into a more pop oriantated format.

My favourite track of the album is The Lady Lies, so here without further to do and for your kind perusals .. ..

Brilliant animated performance from Rip.

Last edited:
I’ve tried but I just can”t take to Arnel, either live nor on the new album, though the production does him no favours on that it’s awful. For me he just lacks personality and energy. Like he’s in a cupboard.
I see why they got him but for me the braver choice would have been to stick with Jeff Scott Soto. I also think if they wanted somebody sounding more like Perry , thry obviously did, their best choice is sat behind the drums, Deen Castanova.

We saw them with Soto twice, second time only because we already had tickets. He was my least favourite singer with them personally. I am a fan of his solo stuff, but not with Journey. Didn't feel his voice, and mostly his stage personality fitted them.

But I agree re Arnel onstage. Feels very forced and unnatural. Steve Augeri was a far better fit for me, but $chon and Cain rode him into the ground, and wouldn't give his voice time to recover .... $$$$ is their God!

We saw them with Soto twice, second time only because we already had tickets. He was my least favourite singer with them personally. I am a fan of his solo stuff, but not with Journey. Didn't feel his voice, and mostly his stage personality fitted them.

But I agree re Arnel onstage. Feels very forced and unnatural. Steve Augeri was a far better fit for me, but $chon and Cain rode him into the ground, and wouldn't give his voice time to recover .... $$$$ is their God!
Never saw them with Augeri, but the recorded stuff sounded great.
In other news just got a message Cheap Trick cancelled, after 2 years of postponement. Disappointing but think I’m jinxed nearly 40 years of missing seeing them for a lot of reasons, so they stay on my to do list.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.