Club Badge (merged)

b85c15a2088e5a76ae5619b49235da55.jpg

FopScCr.png

Fairly decent efforts there in order of my preference, enough to show me the eagle inside a round badge could work if done right. The second one could use some tweaking as the head doesn't look Eagle-ey enough for me and MCFC could be removed allowing a bigger ship and 3 rivers or maybe a scroll with latin in the middle?(maybe even a new motto but I'm not too fussed whether the scrolls stays or not to be honest)

Last edited:
I did some research on this after it was pointed out to me at the first Badge Lecture. It seems to have been added at the time the councli launched the eagle emblem in 1957 but was dropped in the early 1960s when the eagle emblem stopped being used. If you look at versions of the COA from before 57 and after about 62 you'll see that it's not there. From a footballing point of view the eagle was introduced by Manchester Council in Dec 1957 for use by sports and leisure organisations with council approval and was first publicly used by a football team when MUFC played in the 1958 FAC Final (they used the emblem exactly as it was created by Manchester Council). City used it in 1960 on a handbook (exactly as created by Manchester council) and may have used it on other literature, but I've only ever tracked down that one handbook with it on. In 1963 when Utd played in their next FAC Final they wore the Manchester COA and not the eagle, so whether it was Manchester Council's use or use by football teams, the eagle seemed to last no more than about 3 or 4 years with the Council dropping it from the COA; United wearing it at Wembley once and City putting it on a handbook. Then it was resurrected in 1997 for the current City badge.
If you fancy a little more research, then you could take a trip to the transport museum on Boyle Street, this "Manchester City Transport" bus with a number plate that places it later than August 1967 has the same crest as referred to, takes the official usage to at least 10 years.
IMG_0810.JPG

We can probably assume that this livery stayed the same until the SELNEC PTE was formed in 1969.
(p.s. It was me at the badge lecture - I only wish that the long post that I did on the original talkin' city about the elements of the '97 badge was still around on t'interweb) although a few years ago I posted this on bluemoon:
ManchesterEagle.jpg

In 1957 the City of Manchester was granted a new badge as you can see above.

According to a 1958 newspaper account, the eagle is said to be symbolic of Manchester’s connection with ancient Rome, the symbol which looks like a letter ‘M’ in the centre is the fesse dancette recording the association with the former lords of the manor, and the ring around it is symbolic of Ringway. The mural crown is a symbol of a municipal corporation, and is silver or white to represent cotton and clean air, the provision of which was pioneered by Manchester.
In a more official publication (and slightly at odds with the above description), the eagle is said to represent the city’s importance in air transport, while the mural crown symbolises an expanding community. The new eagle badge, but not the coat of arms, “may correctly be used by any person or organization connected with the city, provided official permission is obtained from the Town Clerk”.

So the eagle was part of a council marketing campaign? A marketing campaign that saw the first use of the eagle by a football team in 1958 but a football team not from Manchester?

Eagle?

Seems legit.

Oh yeah, the general consensus that co-incidentally agrees with you I assume.....

Fans are entitled to an opinion. Yourself & grim up north are having a go at people who don't favour the eagle. A lot of it has been banter but the fans who don't want the eagle are hardly going to promote it. There isn't a general consensus, only opinions matey.

For those that have been playing around with an eagle within the roundel, Barclays use an eagle shield as their logo. Obviously it would need tweaking.

I still don't think having the eagle within the roundel looks good but thought I'd pass along the idea.

9a6a0a83a5d7ba0f3514741299bbec8c.jpg

That's brilliant.....could fit in well with sponsorship deals in the future too

When will a decision be made on the badge

The club hasn't made any promises on a change or even if a change of badge may happen. It's a consultation with the fans

However, if it's any sort of club announcement regarding the survey and preferred options following the consultation, I would imagine it will be at least February before we hear anything official

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.