Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

still struggling here but i'll give it a go.
Colin wasn't just an excellent player, he was the DNA of our club.
i was 12, used to stand in the scoreboard end with my Mam and Dad. one day Dad said we have signed Colin Bell, i'd never heard of him but Dad was over the moon. fast forward 500 games of sheer emotion , good bad very good and very bad. the injury the comeback i've seen the lot. My Dad took me all over to see City, even when he was skint. obvisously once i was old enough i went in the Kippax. the cycle started again with my own son, he's 43 now.
no matter what that cycle will never be broken thanks to people like Colin and my Dad.

I miss my Dad and I'll miss Colin the King .

still struggling here but i'll give it a go.
Colin wasn't just an excellent player, he was the DNA of our club.
i was 12, used to stand in the scoreboard end with my Mam and Dad. one day Dad said we have signed Colin Bell, i'd never heard of him but Dad was over the moon. fast forward 500 games of sheer emotion , good bad very good and very bad. the injury the comeback i've seen the lot. My Dad took me all over to see City, even when he was skint. obvisously once i was old enough i went in the Kippax. the cycle started again with my own son, he's 43 now.
no matter what that cycle will never be broken thanks to people like Colin and my Dad.

I miss my Dad and I'll miss Colin the King .
Your last sentence Bill, is how I feel too. Colin felt like the last link to my grandparents who raised me. They adored him.

043D9A9E-9B16-4277-8E19-9FCAAE114750.jpeg
I felt like my City heart broke yesterday on hearing about the passing of Colin Bell.
I first met Colin the King at Maine Road, and was actually drinking with Noel Gallagher at the time, courtesy of my late friend John Budden who arranged for us to go into the players lounge, after the Barnsley game.
I said to Noel, “Do you mind if I go and talk to the King?”, as he’d just walked into the lounge, and was on his own. Noel said, “No bother at all, I totally understand. I’ll get us some more drinks”.
I was in absolute awe of Colin. He was so gracious, and welcoming.
We went on to discuss City getting promoted that weekend to the Premier League, for the final time as it stands, and he said this; “For City to achieve promotion today as Champions, it was just what the Doctor ordered for everyone associated with this club”.

From anyone else, you could’ve dismissed that as mere enthusiasm, but hearing it from Colin Bell, I felt my heart glow.

RIP Colin Bell. You won’t be forgotten

Been feeling totally lost these last 24 hours. Was magical too many times to mention when being in the great man's presence be it at Maine Road or elsewhere. Been transporting myself back to that Boxing Day in 77 as an 11 year old Colin Bell and City Addict. You brought Us all so much pleasure and so Thank You and Goodbye to the Undisputed Number 1 in my eyes.

Before my Dad passed from the Big C, he asked me to take him one last time to see the Blues. I treated him to the full hospitality (it was the 2-2 Liverpool game, when Kun scored that ridiculous goal from the touchline).

In the car on the way to the match he said it would be great to see Buzzer, as he had got to be friends with Mike after doing some electrical work at his house. But, he went on to say that if he gets the chance to meet one man before he popped his clogs, it would have to be Ding Dong Bell. What followed was a description of pretty much every game he played, the goals he scored, how he mixed it with the Rags (especially in the 3-0 home win - posted in this thread) and how his injury affected a whole generation of Blues who were robbed of his prime years in the shirt.

Well, he got his wish, met the King and had his picture taken with him, Tommy Booth & Tony Book (a picture I had printed on the back of my season card when City were doing that, one that I carry with me to this day). He asked Colin if Mike was around, but he advised he was working in another lounge and he wouldn't be visiting the one we were in. He clocked my old mans disappointment, but said his goodbye's and left us to it. About 15 mins before kick-off the door opened and in came Colin with Buzzer in tow, brought him to our table and the rest is history.

My old boy only lasted another 6 weeks, but the last thing he said to me was how nice that Colin Bell fella was, and as a long forgotten cheeky grin appeared on his face, he passed.

This thread is a credit to us all, even though reading the stories have turned me into a blubbering wreck since the news broke. The outpouring of affection for the great man is a reflection of our class as a fan base and I salute every last one of you.

Rest in peace Colin, a true Blue and a true gentleman.

What a lovely story Dodge! Got me all teared up again now, bloody onions !!!

My dads been pretty emotional about this. He’s been telling me all the stories about him. He was at the game when he came back from injury as well.

for me he is our greatest player. No player will have this effect on us

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.