Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news on under 40s having the choice of vaccines.

I wasn't convinced the AZ one was worth the hassle being in my early 30s. Until you hardy bunch convinced me it was still probably best to 'risk' it. Because when Covid picks up again the balance of risk is definitely higher with getting Covid.

I wonder what the alternative will be though. If it's anything but Pfizer then you potentially risk some other issue on a vaccine that hasn't been used for long enough for them to spot any issues with all age groups.

Good news on under 40s having the choice of vaccines.

I wasn't convinced the AZ one was worth the hassle being in my early 30s. Until you hardy bunch convinced me it was still probably best to 'risk' it. Because when Covid picks up again the balance of risk is definitely higher with getting Covid.

I wonder what the alternative will be though. If it's anything but Pfizer then you potentially risk some other issue on a vaccine that hasn't been used for long enough for them to spot any issues with all age groups.
Could be Moderna though which has been used in the USA and Canada etc

I’m 39 and every one of my friends and peers between 20 and 40 are all keen to get their jab asap. I managed to get mine a few weeks ago at an AZ walk in for 30+ people and I’ve had loads of messages asking me where the next one might be. I agree with those that point out that vaccine uptake won’t be a problem but you have to offer it them in the first place. Hopefully that won’t be too far away.

As an aside, I’m kind of expecting my 2nd dose to be a lot quicker than 12 weeks as most of the first doses in the next tranche will now be U40s and so Pfizer / Moderna leaving AZ stocks for those of us waiting for our 2nd jab. Not bothered if not but just a hunch.

I don't think this is the case - there's no strong evidence that any variants are significantly faster spreading than the "Kent" variant.

The reason current variants are of concern is mainly potential for immune escape rather than faster transmission.
Only going off what they were saying about the surge testing they are doing on the Indian variant because of how it has doubled in a week in Bolton and parts of London.

And thank you Crooky - that is what I was trying to show was being revealed about young people's reluctance. Not insulting anybody. I said exactly the same about targeting messaging to older people several times in here at the start of the vaccination programme. So if I was insulting anyone I did it evenly at least But in fact I think targeted messaging matters in a pandemic.

I am totally aware most younger people have not been offered it yet so not basing it on % numbers as that would be misleading. Not once did I suggest I was - but that chart posted earlier presumably led to the assumption I was reacting to that when I was not.

As I had said I was listening to what they were saying in an impromptu press conference about young people and the vaccine programme and why the government appear to have changed tack and so gave a press conference this morning that only I seem to have seen (by accident myself as it was unannounced).

THAT was what I was talking about. Not insulting anyone via dubious stats.

But I do not want to get into a row and as noted do have a busy day so I am going to get some work done.

Will not engage in discussion for reasons explained - but will try to pop back and just post data as and when I can.

England hospital deaths:

12 with 0 from NW

First time with 0 deaths in NW on a Friday in months.

One of the 12 may well be discounted as historic

Past weeks 14 with 2 NW last week v 19 / 4 - 18 / 3 and 33 / 4 in previous weeks.

Scottish data

1 death - was 0 last week

236 cases - was 191 last week

1.2% positivity - was 1.1% last week

68 patients - up 10 in day - was 67 last week

8 ventilated icu - down 3 on yesterday - was 9 last week.

Northern Ireland Data:

1 death - was 1 death last week

65 cases - was 108 last week

3.1% positivity - was 4% last week.

5 care home outbreaks - was 5 yesterday and 4 last week

599 Weekly total cases - was 626 yesterday and 653 last week

62 hospital patients - down 5 on yesterday and up 2 on last week

3 ventilated patients - down 2 on yesterday and 1 on last week.

Total deaths with out of hospital England to come:- 14 - was 15 last wk

Total cases from 3 nations with England to come:- 348 - was 335 last wk.

More later

PHE statement on Bolton / Indian variant(s).

Seems to me that it's likely that this variant is more contagious still than the Kent variant judging by increase in numbers in Bolton. The good news though is that there doesn't seem to be any suggestion of vaccine evasion...so get your vaccine when its offered and you'll be OK. That's the assumption I am operating on anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.