COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank-you once again.

I am struggling to recognise the value of this. Yesterday, hancock announced the figure of 980. How this is derived is hardly relevant, so long as the basis of its derivation is the same as that for the previous day when they announced a figure of 881. etc. So sometimes it will take a dip due to some figures not being included, or a surge due to missed figures being added in. So what. if you track the daily figures, you get this:

And this:

Seems fairly straightforward, very easy to see what the trend is, and frankly a whole load more readable.
In the scheme of things makes little difference apart from helps see sooner if numbers are levelling off because we could for example have a week of big numbers as we are, as more and more historical numbers are included which could mask falling current numbers. That said I have said all along the true measure of the impact of restrictions are the daily ICU and hospitalisation numbers and the slope of that graph and I still think that.

Dont. That wont make you cold or cruel. I passionately hate the phrase, but it is what it is. We all know what we are dealing with, globally. We cant change it other than to do what we are advised to and exercise common sense and hope it sees us through. This fixation on figures, their perceived accuracy or otherwise, is meaningless. All we can do as the populace is what we are asked to. Ive given up on the news now as it cannot affect anything I do nor can I affect it.

Sadly that is really all we can do. I often used to talk to students about controlling the controllables and I now appreciate that this is much easier to say than do but it really is all we can do right now.

The UK has recorded 917 new coronavirus deaths - including an 11-year-old.

This brings the total number of UK deaths to 9,875, according to the Department of Health, making it likely that the toll will pass 10,000 on Easter Sunday.

The figures are accurate as of 5pm on Friday

England reported 823 new deaths, with victims aged between 11 and 102, NHS England said

Thirty-three of them had no known underlying health conditions - they were aged between 29 and 94.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...ronavirus-deaths-taking-total-to-542-11971958

somewhere in a grey office with no windows, Doris counts up all the new death reports that have landed on her desk since this time yesterday. Her total is 980. She then puts them in a crappy cardboard box and takes it to Irene next door. Irene and her six mates cackle and gossip whilst sorting each report into different piles based on the recorded date of the death. Once they've done that they count each pile and write it on the back of an envelope. Next day Irene takes the envelope to Fred. Fred gives Irene a new envelope and she heads back to her office to catch up on the days gossip. Fred types the numbers into an excel file which is then published here.

I take over from there.
I taken a look at the document for the deaths in my trust. Jeez the print is tiny

BBC News reporting that 55% of front line workers feel like they are being forced to go into unsafe situations due to lack of PPE.

I don't think so,every country seems to be going with the amount of registered deaths available day by day
Yes they do
If you take a look at Gelson’s link above where he types here, then it takes you the NHS site recording deaths.
Have a look at their figures and you can see that they reallocate deaths to the ‘correct’ date. It also highlights which data isn’t yet complete and will change.
This is a much more accurate picture of how the disease is spreading.

Agreed. It's patently obvious that Sweden have fucked up and the situation there is going to get much worse than in Norway, Finland, Denmark. It is already.
Their figures are half ours per head of population and twice those of their nordic neighbours. They're also roughly the same point in the epidemic as us.
And they haven't trashed the economy in the process. It will work out well for them.
Their country is less densely populated than ours and they have many fewer knobheads than we do so it wouldn't work for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.