COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain this conundrum?

In mid=March the government (Johnson and Hancock) said they would give guidance that the over 70s should self-isolate for 12 weeks, but that’s not in the guidance. https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

That just says over 70s (and under 70s with particular health issues) should "be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures". I can't recall anyone saying that they had relaxed it from what they first said.

Have I missed something?
Yes you have. The letter sent to those identified as vulnerable says: “The safest course of action is for you to stay at home at all times and avoid all face-to-face contact for at least twelve weeks from today, except from carers and healthcare workers who you must see as part of your medical care. This will protect you by stopping you from coming into contact with the virus”.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavi...2020/03/at-risk-patient-letter-march-2020.pdf

so everyone can’t go out at all for two weeks (save key workers) ? I agree with your point on flights btw
Looking in from Spain I think the biggest difference was the exercise part. Over here the streets, parks, roads, pretty much all public spaces have been deserted, whereas the impression I’ve gotten from various news outlets and social media platforms, many parts of the U.K. still have too many people milling about, using the exercise allowance as an excuse.
Like I say, that’s just from an outsiders viewpoint, the reality could well be different.

Yes you have. The letter sent to those identified as vulnerable says: “The safest course of action is for you to stay at home at all times and avoid all face-to-face contact for at least twelve weeks from today, except from carers and healthcare workers who you must see as part of your medical care. This will protect you by stopping you from coming into contact with the virus”.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavi...2020/03/at-risk-patient-letter-march-2020.pdf
But that's not gone to everyone over 70, only to those who are extremely vulnerable (e.g. on cancer treatment).

ONS are still going up,care homes are taking a battering sadly,that number is not coming down any time soon,hospital numbers and the rest might

ONS are not relevant to the comment I made. They're going back in the past and adding new deaths, they won't be publishing the number of deaths happening right here today until May.

Looking in from Spain I think the biggest difference was the exercise part. Over here the streets, parks, roads, pretty much all public spaces have been deserted, whereas the impression I’ve gotten from various news outlets and social media platforms, many parts of the U.K. still have too many people milling about, using the exercise allowance as an excuse.
Like I say, that’s just from an outsiders viewpoint, the reality could well be different.
It isn’t even that it’s an excuse. People are actually out for an exercise session but at certain times of the day there are too many people about. Crossing each other too closely on pavements and on paths in parks.

I know that happens in the supermarkets and people going to work on public transport and people in work, anyway. But I just felt that because exercise outside isn’t essential, then we should have been put under more strict rules for a short period of time.

But that's not gone to everyone over 70, only to those who are extremely vulnerable (e.g. on cancer treatment).
I’m not so sure you can send that advice to everyone over 70. There’s nothing to suggest that being 70 today puts you at more risk than being 69 yesterday. I know some 40 year olds who need to do the 12 week thing and, conversely, I know a few 70 somethings who are absolutely fine doing the daily exercise and some shopping.

After the ONS report released on the figures from March we know the following:
1. COVID-19 impacts men twice as much as women 2. Even with COVID-19 deaths, March 2020 has a lower death rate lower than the 5 year average 3. 91% of deaths from COVID-19 had pre-existing diseases, with ischemic heart disease the most common
It’s hardly surprising that the overall March figures don’t stand out as it was only the last week when the death rate increased significantly.

Seems you are doing your best to minimise the whole thing.

Two weeks ago I called out a poster who reckoned that by today we would be up to 50k deaths. I have no idea whether he /she will apologise as I put him / her on ignore but there are plenty on here who consistently being spouting complete bollocks for the past four to six weeks.

With respect, there were plenty on here (you included) who were claiming that we were nowhere near the same path as Italy and that people need to stop being panicked. That was wrong. According to some graphs, we have now surpassed Italy. I’m not expecting or asking for an apology but I don’t think you should be asking the same of those who got it wrong the other round because complacency is every bit as damaging, if not more, than panic.

It isn’t even that it’s an excuse. People are actually out for an exercise session but at certain times of the day there are too many people about. Crossing each other too closely on pavements and on paths in parks.

I know that happens in the supermarkets and people going to work on public transport and people in work, anyway. But I just felt that because exercise outside isn’t essential, then we should have been put under more strict rules for a short period of time.

Basically because you don't partake in it you don't think anyone else should? I'v been out running or on my bike almost every day and if I pass someone either they have moved or I have moved onto the road. Everyone is observing it and there are very few people about. Going for a walk/run/cycle etc. is extremely low risk and banning it completely will do more harm than good. Think of some families living in a flat or an apartment without access to a garden. You think it's right that young kids should be kept indoors 24 hours a day when the risk of them going out and social distancing properly is pretty much non existent?

Our 'lockdown' is not as strict as Spain or Italy but like any keep saying we are following their paths on the graphs, so who has done it right? What the government has put in place is working and they have managed to do it without forcing everyone to stay in 24 hours a day, well done to them I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.