Cricket World Cup 2019 - England World Champions!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by neel, 11 May 2019.

1. BlueAnorak

BlueAnorak

Yes, the Sri Lanken umpire. I made a racist assumption based on his colour. To me he was just an umpire.

Both umpires made the mistake as the second umpire should have signaled only one completed run. He didnt. With the speed of the professional game, both are too busy getting into position to view the ball possibly hitting the stumps at their end as the fielder picks the ball up for a throw.

Last edited: 16 Jul 2019
    TheRemainsOfTheDave likes this.
  2. Onholiday(somemightsay)

Onholiday(somemightsay)

I love the attitude and personality of the New Zealand side. As others have said personified in Williamson.

3. MillionMilesAway

MillionMilesAway

I thought guidelines are just that.
    Roy wasn't given out either - swings and roundabouts with umpires.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. Onholiday(somemightsay)

Onholiday(somemightsay)

Would seem a more satisfying outcome to me

Ban-jani likes this.
  5. Southbanken

Southbanken

We didn't beat New Zealand, it was a tie after the 50 overs and it was a tie after the super over. We were awarded the match based on the number of boundaries hit. Don't get me wrong i am delighted and it was captivating to watch, and i am not in the hollow victory camp, i loved every minute, but we didn't beat New Zealand.

In my opinion, New Zealand were probably the better team on the day. The absolute fluke boundary plus the Boult brain fart gave us 12 runs that meant we had the chance to win / tie in the first 50 overs and we took that chance. For me, those two freakish moments changed the game, without both of them, or even just one of them, New Zealand win. So, in my view, without an enourmous slice of luck, New Zealand win, by being the better team (Just, like by a fag paper). That is my opinion, and given how tight the game was, I think there is an argument to be made for either side being better, and I don't think anyone can argue with 100% conviction that one team were better or not.

Given the above, from Warnes perspective, what he says is 100% true. Just because you don't agree doesn't make him wrong.

6. TheRemainsOfTheDave

TheRemainsOfTheDave

Yes, that's how cricket works. It only really becomes a talking point in very tight games.

And yes, it is only a guide for the umpire, but the rule for a wide is if the batter can hit it based on a normal guard position when the ball is bowled. If the batter moves one set of stumps to off, so does the guide. The batsman even took a swipe and the ball went under his bat and he wasn't stretching. It wasn't a terrible decision, but it was at a key point in the game and Archer was clearly disrupted by it.

7. TheRemainsOfTheDave

TheRemainsOfTheDave

Yes, it must have happened in about 1 or 2 seconds and the umpires are looking for multiple things.

Hopefully NZ can make it 3rd time lucky. If it was NZ vs anyone else but England, they would have been my choice.

8. jimharri

jimharri

Why? He didn't do anything wrong, or to be ashamed of.

9. Dubai Blue

Dubai Blue

I see those two clowns Hunt and Johnson have jumped on the bandwagon and promised a knighthood for Stokes. Seems a bit OTT to me, despite the incredible drama of the day.

Why can't politicians just let sportsmen and women get on with their careers without piling unnecessary pressure onto them? Stokes' time may well come, but it certainly shouldn't be now.

There's no immediate shot of publicity to be had from being patient though is there!

TheRemainsOfTheDave likes this.
  10. MillionMilesAway

MillionMilesAway

Apparently they've had some ribbing about being NZ's most hated, but nothing serious. About what you'd expect.