David Silva retires from football (pg13)

Remember him signing for us and ferguson's comment that we think we've signed David Villa...I'm glad signed the right David, a joy to watch in sky blue and part of a great Spain time. Sad way to end such a great career but age is sadly against him now. Hope recovery goes well and we get to see him back at the Etihad one day.

Sadly I had a feeling this was going to be the case for him, for any player who’s game is heavily reliant on twisting and turning, your ACL going is probably the worst possible injury you could get.

There’s not just the physical aspect of it, but there’s a mental/psychological side to it too, you just know it’s never right, even after a reconstruction, you can feel the instability (you have a constant reminder of that in your other leg of how it ‘should’ feel), and it’s always in the back of your mind, it’s not a problem running in straight lines, but as soon as you deviate from that, by your own intentions, or just being nudged off balance, you know you’re in trouble.

It’s the right decision for me, trying to get over it and adapt when you’re younger, is one thing, but 37 is too much of an ask, and hope it doesn’t cause him too many problems as he gets older, either way, he’ll always be a legend and best wishes to the lad.
I had an ACL reconstruction at 22 through a football injury when i was 19. I'm 34 now and i still get pain in my knee when i walk long distances, i've not played football since i had the surgery because i just know i can't play as i want. That was getting treated at Salford Royal.

With the best will in the world, you won't be coming back from it at 37.

Thanks for the memories David, you are a legend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.