De Bruyne?

On a related note, is this "permission to speak to the player" AFTER agreeing a fee a real thing? I could imagine a case where clubs reach an agreement after weeks of negotiating only to find out that the player is not even interested in a move. What's the case here is that usually the buying clubs reaches out to the player's agent, works out the contract details and then gets in touch with the selling club.

That's one of the reasons players use agents and other mediators, so no, it's not a real thing anymore as when clubs contact each other usually an agreement between the player and the buying club is already sorted. At least for 'bigger' transfers.

Marcotti wrote a nice piece on that:
http://www.espnfc.com/blog/marcotti...he-player-agent-era-but-they-are-here-to-stay

What's a matter of puzzlement to me is that various sources, some not especially reliable, some usually reliable, stated that an offcial bid of £46m/£47m was made around 6 to 7 days ago.

I assume it is a normal for the club who received the bid to repond either in the affirmative or negative within a day or two. Or do they sometimes put the offer through the office shredder and ignore the communication completely?

It must be either:-

a) They have responded with a "NO" and we (the supporters) are unaware
b) They have completely ignored it and have failed to respond, hoping that we just "go away"
c) We have not made the bid that was reported in the media last week.

Any updates Ric

The club are still confident a deal will be done from what I've heard, but looks like the price is being driven up. Told it's likely to be in excess of £50m now, which is more than they had budgeted for.

The club are still confident a deal will be done from what I've heard, but looks like the price is being driven up. Told it's likely to be in excess of £50m now, which is more than they had budgeted for.
HLN said Wolfsburg are demanding £57m, which looks like they are right then....

Cheers Ric

What's a matter of puzzlement to me is that various sources, some not especially reliable, some usually reliable, stated that an offcial bid of £46m/£47m was made around 6 to 7 days ago.

I assume it is a normal for the club who received the bid to repond either in the affirmative or negative within a day or two. Or do they sometimes put the offer through the office shredder and ignore the communication completely?

It must be either:-

a) They have responded with a "NO" and we (the supporters) are unaware
b) They have completely ignored it and have failed to respond, hoping that we just "go away"
c) We have not made the bid that was reported in the media last week.

d) The clubs are negotiating a fee, possibly with add ons, very close to what City have offered & it's complex.

As I've just posted, this exact thing happened (according to the media) just before we signed Sterling. Almost the exact figures ( claiming Liverpoool want 50 mil, Wolfsburg want 50 mil). They said City were 'awaiting a response' to our latest bid. It stayed like that for a while, then suddenly we heard that agreement was close, & it was suddenly done.

We should just pay what is needed for this player. In future dealings, perhaps go after a player we are only half interested in, offer a stupid amount then walk away when the other team say no. That way, we can show that we are not going to ALWAYS pay over the odds. This one is worth it in my opinion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.