Devolution For The Regions - Gtr Manchester

There’s a clear risk of contradiction in allowing devolved regions, each with their own self-interest and agenda, to formulate a national strategy.

It’s blindingly obvious and it’s the job of the national government to make these decisions, not simply to palm them off around the country. The fact that the various regional decision makers have little to no commercial experience only adds to the problems.

This push towards greater devolution, from both Labour and Conservative governments over the past twenty years, has in my opinion yielded very little. Other than to produce further, needless layers of government and public expenditure and of course to keep second rate politicians like Andy Burnham in circulation.
Again, you’re looking at this as if there is no combined plan. Quite simply, regions will come up with a comprehensive strategy, in line with current government strategy, which will then open up funds for them to put it into practice.

If outside of the main aim then will have to be looked at in exceptional circumstances.

You’ve seen how they’ve started and they’ve had plenty of time to get this into place. Let’s see if it works, unlike the absolute clusterfuck that the Tories brought.

You have never run a business, but you think your an expert in it? Really?

The key word that completely passed you by was 'recession'. Our sector has been in recession for over a year and still is. In laymans terms to the likes of you, this means our company and thousands of others in our sector competing for less work at often lower rates. This is on the back of a terrible 18mths due to covid. And us paying back covid loans. Dealing with huge wage demands and a lack of skilled people.

Your statement of hey its simple, just pass the cost on to your customers showed me how little you actually understand?

I heard Burnham going on about the grants and scrapage schemes at the time. Great, 10 or 15% towards the cost of a new van. That still leaves the other 90% to find! where he does the clown think that comes from? Off trees.

This is a man who clearly doesn't understand or have to account for his actions. Unfortunately there are plenty of those types in governments past and more than likely the present one also.

I knew you or one of the other Labour fan boys would criticise my remarks. I sincerely hope the new government do a great job, I believe they will improve on the last lot. But be under no illusion, they will make mistakes, the implementaion of the huge low immision zone was dedinitely one of them. The new government won't please everyone, they don't have the magic answer to everything, and when they do make mistakes they will be criticised. You and others need to get used to it.
Where did I say I was an expert in running a business? Thought you were near Stoke anyway so why are you so bothered about a clean air zone 40 miles away? Do you get as pissed off about other regulations and rules that you need to adhere to to run your business or do you save it for things that the Daily Mail tells you to be upset about.

Britain is unusual in that it is still very much a unitary state. This very much appeals to people with a Stalinesque mentality.

I find it amazing that many people still believe the man in Whitehall knows what's best for Bacup, Cleckheaton or Aylsham. He doesn't. Very often the man in Whitehall thinks nothing beyond Watford Junction has any significance.

We have made a few tentative steps towards devolution and need to make many more. In my ideal world, the UK government would just do stuff like national funding, defence and foreign policy. But any move to devolution is fine by me. A federal constitution would be better still. But no hope of that, alas.
If it's done properly it would kill Scottish independence stone dead.
How brilliant to have every English Region getting similar opportunities that the South East and London hoover up at present. The German model seems to work well. Why not here?

In 2022, London had a gross domestic product of over 508 billion British pounds, by far the most of any region of the United Kingdom. The region of South East England which surrounds London had the second-highest GDP in this year, at over 341 billion pounds.

North West England, which includes the major cities of Manchester and Liverpool, had the third-largest GDP among UK regions, at approximately 223.5 billion pounds.

Levelling Up the UKLondon’s economic dominance of the UK can clearly be seen when compared to the other regions of the country. In terms of GDP per capita, the gap between London and the rest of the country is striking, standing at 57,338 pounds per person in the UK capital, compared with just over 33,593 pounds in the rest of the country.

The imbalance is not good for the UK. Lets see if they are more successful with these plans than the useless, laughable 'Levelling Up'.

In 2022, London had a gross domestic product of over 508 billion British pounds, by far the most of any region of the United Kingdom. The region of South East England which surrounds London had the second-highest GDP in this year, at over 341 billion pounds.

North West England, which includes the major cities of Manchester and Liverpool, had the third-largest GDP among UK regions, at approximately 223.5 billion pounds.

Levelling Up the UKLondon’s economic dominance of the UK can clearly be seen when compared to the other regions of the country. In terms of GDP per capita, the gap between London and the rest of the country is striking, standing at 57,338 pounds per person in the UK capital, compared with just over 33,593 pounds in the rest of the country.

The imbalance is not good for the UK. Lets see if they are more successful with these plans than the useless, laughable 'Levelling Up'.

TBF it wasn’t always this way. Once upon a time Birmingham was the per capita growth engine, the city of a thousand trades as it was known, but inexplicably Labour didn’t like that so fucked it over.

TBF it wasn’t always this way. Once upon a time Birmingham was the per capita growth engine, the city of a thousand trades as it was known, but inexplicably Labour didn’t like that so fucked it over.
Which century are you talking about?

I wonder how long before Burnham jumps back on the Labour Party bandwagon now they have been elected?
Eh?
He stood for mayor as the Labour Party candidate.
He doesn’t need to jump on a bandwagon that he’s already on.

Says the bloke who thinks that devolution of some powers means that local areas develop national strategies.
Why are they being consulted then, and being asked to contribute to the strategy, if they have no influence?

One simple question and your whole argument falls to pieces. Utterly deluded.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.