Discuss Pellegrini

Skashion said:
BillyShears said:
Mancini sacked the medical staff who were largely responsible for keeping our players fit and injury free during our title winning season.
Firstly, that's pretty presumptuous anyway, but even if you're right, Mancini's gone, so why hasn't the situation been put right by Pellegrini?

Since you were taking issue with people being sympathetic to the injuries Pellegrini is dealing with and suggesting it was hypocritical that the same courtesy wasn't extended to Mancini, I'm pointing out why it wasn't extended to Mancini.

Jimfv1 said:
jaigurugoat said:
Mancini was a disciplinarian but he also had very little desire to build relationships with the players. This meant that when things started to go wrong and the disciplinarian style wore thin he was unable to turn things around with them.

Pellegrini is completely the opposite of Mancini. He is bit like Sven in that he treats the players like equals which is ok to a point but as others have said we do not have a squad full of natural grafters and leaders (as opposed to Everton for example). The manager needs to motivate them, we cannot afford to coast through matches like we have been doing. I'm not sure whether Pellegrini fully understands this but hopefully he will learn.

He also has to realise that in the Premier League the bottom team in the league is capable of beating the team at the top, not all the time, but if you play them on a bad day and they are up for the game, then it is quite possible that you would lose the game. This doesn;t often happen in othe European leagues, the top six, will mostly beat the bottom teams.
In fairness to Pellers, he probably knows that as the same is true in most leagues, after all he suffered defeat in a cup game to Alcorcoron whilst in charge of Madrid, and they were in the Spanish 3rd division at the time.

Skashion said:
Am I mistaken for thinking that there is quite a bit more sympathy for injuries under Pellegrini than under Mancini from certain parties? I'm quite sure that injuries were used as a stick to beat Mancini with last season as once again it proved his ineptitude to adapt and to fully utilise his very expensive squad. Now, if Kompany's out, as he was more than once last season - starting 68.4% of last season's league games compared to 81.5% the season before and 97.3% the season before that, apparently this is just bad luck and says nothing about Pellegrini's ability to utilise his even more expensive squad? I definitely think there is a disparity there. I think I detect the smell of egoism once again.

You are probably overlooking the fact that certain people blamed Mancini for injuries. And failing to utilise his squad properly. And being a cheque book manager (that made me chuckle given our summer spending). And global warming. In fact if we do poorly this year it will be Mancini's fault. The psychological scarring from Mancini's management style will have impaired the players to the point where they find it difficult to cope. Txiki has already dangled that one out there.

Anything can happen in one or two games or even seconds that can turn a game of football on its head eg - ricochets, refereeing error etc. Don't pin

I have faith in the players. Whatever happens in the next 2 games, we will be OK.

I know we weren't great at Stoke, and we conceded a couple of good chances. But Garcia, Nasty, Joe and the full-backs did not crumble and that should give us hope. A bit of luck has come our way. Let's make the most of it now

Utd were rubbish this time last season and in hindsight those points they garnered when missing Vidic and Ferdinand? gave them the foundation to win the title. We've had our worst 3 games I can remember in 3 seasons but we are 4th, and the damage has not been done.

salfordblue-tony2 said:
casualdeyna said:
I've been concerned by our performances so far but not so much the results as its far too early to panic. I remember winding rags up about 5 years back when we beat them 1-0 with a Geovani goal to put them near the bottom of the league about 4 games in, they ended up winning it come end of season.

Scolari came to Chelsea with a good reputation and he had a great start to the season, he was sacked before the end of it.

So even though we haven't hit the ground running its way too early to make any other judgement than a slow start.

Next two games are crucial and we've got to start playing soon. It will also be easier making a judgement when everyone is fit but we have only played well once so far and that was against 10 men

And with Captain Marvel at the back for most of it.

True.

We've also got to remember that if we are to believe the noises coming out of the club the players have got exactly what they wanted with a manager who says hello to them, massages their egos and treats them with kid gloves to one who behaved like the demon headmaster. So they really should be putting more of a shift in.

Personally I think as such highly paid professionals they should have a manager who will put a rocket up someone's arse and not sulk when "the nasty manager said something horrible to me" but that doesn't seem to be the way with modern footballers

BillyShears said:
Skashion said:
BillyShears said:
Mancini sacked the medical staff who were largely responsible for keeping our players fit and injury free during our title winning season.
Firstly, that's pretty presumptuous anyway, but even if you're right, Mancini's gone, so why hasn't the situation been put right by Pellegrini?

Since you were taking issue with people being sympathetic to the injuries Pellegrini is dealing with and suggesting it was hypocritical that the same courtesy wasn't extended to Mancini, I'm pointing out why it wasn't extended to Mancini.
No, it's still hypocritical if Pellegrini hasn't remedied the situation, which clearly it hasn't been if we are assuming the injuries this season and last are down to the medical staff.

Skashion said:
No, it's still hypocritical if Pellegrini hasn't remedied the situation, which clearly it hasn't been if we are assuming the injuries this season and last are down to the medical staff.

Then I'm comfortable in my hypocrisy. Vinny's injury last season and Mancini's subsequent refusal to let him be treated by the Belgian national team physio (who is one of the most respected in the world) was the final nail in his coffin.

Marvin said:
I know we weren't great at Stoke, and we conceded a couple of good chances. But Garcia, Nasty, Joe and the full-backs did not crumble and that should give us hope. A bit of luck has come our way. Let's make the most of it now

Utd were rubbish this time last season and in hindsight those points they garnered when missing Vidic and Ferdinand? gave them the foundation to win the title. We've had our worst 3 games I can remember in 3 seasons but we are 4th, and the damage has not been done.

I agree Marvin. Yes we have some difficulties at the moment, but we have ridden our luck.

Thankfully, our rivals have not taken advantage of our failings either with United losing against Liverpool, Chelsea against Everton and Arsenal against Villa.

Let's stay positive and hope for better performances and results to come. No need to start panicking just yet ;-)

casualdeyna said:
salfordblue-tony2 said:
casualdeyna said:
I've been concerned by our performances so far but not so much the results as its far too early to panic. I remember winding rags up about 5 years back when we beat them 1-0 with a Geovani goal to put them near the bottom of the league about 4 games in, they ended up winning it come end of season.

Scolari came to Chelsea with a good reputation and he had a great start to the season, he was sacked before the end of it.

So even though we haven't hit the ground running its way too early to make any other judgement than a slow start.

Next two games are crucial and we've got to start playing soon. It will also be easier making a judgement when everyone is fit but we have only played well once so far and that was against 10 men

And with Captain Marvel at the back for most of it.

True.

We've also got to remember that if we are to believe the noises coming out of the club the players have got exactly what they wanted with a manager who says hello to them, massages their egos and treats them with kid gloves to one who behaved like the demon headmaster. So they really should be putting more of a shift in.

Personally I think as such highly paid professionals they should have a manager who will put a rocket up someone's arse and not sulk when "the nasty manager said something horrible to me" but that doesn't seem to be the way with modern footballers

I think you massively over-simplify the required skills of a good manager. And do you really think Baconface got his teams playing full on for 90 minutes by being a friendly old duffer? But even SAF was not all fire and brimstone - it's well documented that he had to tone it down for the Brazilians who would get all upset if (when) he gave them the hairdryer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.