Discuss Pellegrini

Pellegrini got carried away and made wrong substitutions imo. Navas could still drag 2-3 players with him to the flank and open up more space in the middle while Fernandinho's height could still be handy when defend set pieces as well.

citymad said:
Blue2112 said:
It still wrecks my head that after clinching the title in such an amazing fashion and grabbing the attention of the whole world we then threw away our greatest opportunity of taking giant strides forwards by not immediately going out and signing three or four top drawer players and putting a marker down on a major scale. That single decision to not throw down the gauntlet may prove to be a watershed moment in our clubs most recent history and arguably has seen us go backwards or stand still at the very least since. Such a golden opportunity wasted.

Tend to agree Josh. We missed a huge opportunity. Instead of being top dogs other clubs have found a way back into the mix such is the lure of Champs league. Clubs like spurs with their unbelievable luck of finding a 95 million player to sell and fund a great squad, Rodgers creating an exciting new Liverpool, Mourinho returning, Arsenal with their 100 mill budget and Gollum seemingly stepping into baconfaces shoes without any difficulty. We have made some great signings just hope they are enough to keep us competitive at the summit.

Its only two games but even despite the result and performance against Newcastle of the sides you mention we are the least inventive going forward , the easiest to defend against and have the most difficulty defending set pieces.

I am confident all of the above would have beaten Cardiff and quite comfortably in the form they are in.

The main thing is though that the shambolic defending has to stop irrespective of the personnel and who is injured etc.

We work on these things during the week but yesterday we failed miserably to put them into effect.

I would be surprised if Campbell scored with another header this season.

The passing and movement of all these sides appears to be more clinical than ours which doesn't always translate into results but shows we need to change the way we play and highlights the deficiencies of our game plan especially away from home.

I'm still in the unimpressed camp with regards to his appointment. He may well get us a bit further in the CL but as I said when he was appointed he won't leave here with as many trophies as RM did.

bluethai said:
Pellegrini got carried away and made wrong substitutions imo. Navas could still drag 2-3 players with him to the flank and open up more space in the middle while Fernandinho's height could still be handy when defend set pieces as well.

Agree 100% on Navas, but Ferna is the same height as Jimmy IIRC

Hope MP would have to balls to drop some 'big names' who don't perform and give other players a chance.

Love to see jack rodwell starting for the hulls game.

bluethai said:

They scored from the two corners they had in the second half which is inexcusable.

Why Lescott was manning the line for their third is beyond belief and well we know that Hart had a brain fade for the second and in fact positioned himself poorly for their third as well.

As for the first it was Southampton all over again with our players staring at each other while Gunnarsson thought WTF I might get on the end of this.

Other than that with Campbell's half chance in the first half Hart had nothing to do other than prepare himself for his next commercial and that was half the problem as he struggles when he is only asked to be called on sparingly in games.

I don't think the subs had an impact either way.

We created bugger all ourselves outside the two goals but did enough to win if we didn't decide to put our school uniforms on again when defending in the second half and had the lion share of position even though it was ineffective and caused Cardiff no concerns.

In summary a shit performance in defense with little imagination and poor ball movement and passing going forward meaning that every attack would break down with an errant pass eventually usually means you end up on the wrong end of the scoreline and we did and deserved to against with all due respect a side that will trouble few others this season either at home or away.

It could be good that a big slap on the face came so early for Pellegrini now he will know what to expect in nearly all of our away games.

Stoke and WHU and Sunderland could be similiar like Cardiff thats 3 fixtures from our next 5 away league matches.

Mancini problem was many times and one of the reasons I wanted him out that he knew exactly what to expect from certain teams, how will they set up, what will they do (like Sunderland, Everton or in CL) and he kept making the same mistakes, we were surprised every time they play that hard, that defensively, yet we came up with no ideas, pace etc...

Now Pellegrini knows exactly what it is like an away match for us.

Next five away matches will tell us is he able to come up with an answer or not.
Stoke, Villa, WHU, Chelsea, Sunderland.

Stoke will park the bus and rely on fast wing attacks and crossing form conrerns, freekicks.
WHU will do the same, they have Nolan, Carroll coming for crosses, very dangerous if we mark them like we did Cardiff.
Sunderland also will sit deep and counter us with Sessegnon, Johnson, Fletcher etc.
Chelsea will be a huge test anyway while Villa is a little bit different, dont expect them park the bus, they will press us higher up they pace in attacks could be similar to Soton away game last season.

So 5 tricky away league games coming up until end of October.

No one should expect 15 points from PEllegrini as they are really hard matches with Chelsea in there what can be anything really, but if Pellegrini and the team will be surprised vs Sunderland, WHU and Stoke and play like we did yesterday than we wont even get 6 points from possible 15.

Unfortunately so far I dont think Navas will give that much wanted extra option. He gives it when opponent is not parking the bus, and there is space to run into for him to use his pace etc., but vs a deep parked bus we bring the ball slow up when it gets to Navas he doest have many chance to do anything two opponent watching his every move he is a good counter player or a player to have when oppnent leaves big spaces behind them or on the wings for breaking up parked bus tactics we would need lot higher tempo, lot more shots, long shots and when we get the ball back at the back we should attack with it right from there and not tippy-tappy up from the back slowly...

Also fullbacks are needed very much its no good if Clichy bring the ball up and instead of taking on a defender and cross he turns back and the tippy-tappy starts again with Silva passing it into the Cardiff players.

MU seems to break up parked buses more times because they do different thing vs tactics like that. They dont tippy-tappy the ball that much around the boy, they are little bit faster than us that gives a little bit less time to the defenders to take on their man and mark them well also they cross a lot (also they cross the ball better than us) it is easier to get on the end of a good cross than what we try to do is Silva trying to make a good trough ball trough 5 Cardiff defenders to find one of the strikers that is marked by two other defenders anyway.

Our crossing needs improving, Navas had 15 crosses and two of them were accurate maybe in the two league games so far. Clichy, Zabba didnt even reach that rate probably.

Also the mentality. When we get behind it seems we start to play with urgency. But how is that nothing like that urgency happened in the whole first half?
I understand we cant play like that 90 minutes because no team could do it as they would be tired so much after first half, but not even for 10-15 minutes period.
Start a match in the mindset we are losing 1-0 at 75. minute mark. It could do wonders.

Or concede an early goal. :D
Sometimes I feel we would fight lot more if we would concede an early goal. That would save us lot of boring, slow build ups with no real end product...

So all in all we have still 99% of the weaknesses we had under Mencini especially in away games. Next 5 away league games will tell a lot about Pellegrini.
Stoke, Villa, WHU, Chelsea, Sunderland.

wayne71 said:
I'm still in the unimpressed camp with regards to his appointment. He may well get us a bit further in the CL but as I said when he was appointed he won't leave here with as many trophies as RM did.
You're basing that on what, 2 games? There's EVERY chance he could match mancini's trophy haul in 1 season. We are in for 4 after all. Who knows?

Pigeonho said:
wayne71 said:
You're basing that on what, 2 games? There's EVERY chance he could match mancini's trophy haul in 1 season. We are in for 4 after all. Who knows?

No mate, I'm basing it on his trophyless previous 10 years in Europe.

wayne71 said:
Pigeonho said:
wayne71 said:

No mate, I'm basing it on his trophyless previous 10 years in Europe.
FFS.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.