Discuss Pellegrini

Jumanji said:
RegMuffin said:
I'm gonna put my head on the block and suggest there wasn't too much wrong with the way we went about the game yesterday - yes a few players had an off day - but we got round the bus and scored what should've been the winner.

It was three defensive lapses that cost us, not the tactics, the formation or their manager being a fking genius (as a few on here would have us believe). MP saw it all coming, would expect them to use pace against a makeshift back two. FFS they scored 3 goals from 1,2 and 3 yards out.

It happens. We'll learn. Start again next game round.
Agreed.

Fully agree with RegMuffin.

Now I am calm I can see the game for what it actually was. We did well to weather the storm and the atmosphere, scored a great goal and looked in control of the game for large periods.
The defence lookd shakey all day long and that was our eventual undoing.

When a result like this happens people always need a point of blame and with Mancini as manager he either had the finger pointed at him or he wasn't shy himself of landing the blame at someones elses door.
Pellegrini isn't like that, which might anger some, but you wont see Pellegrini coming out publicly slating any individual. Like when we win he wont carried away, when we lose he'll remain calm and try to resolve the issues.

Our passing was nowhere near as quick yesterday as Monday.

It was the same old scenario from last year, lots of nice little passes, lots of possession, very few shots on goal and their keeper having very little to do.

I couldn't see one improvement offensively from these types of games last year.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:

It was the same old scenario from last year, lots of nice little passes, lots of possession, very few shots on goal and their keeper having very little to do.

But all of the outers/Mancini haters said that Pellegrini would change it all away from home.......................................

Didsbury Dave said:
bondsman said:
Didsbury Dave said:
It's obvious how few centre halves we had available, but the lesson I want Pellegrini to have learnt is that yaya is ineffective in a holding role against a team with any kind of midfield pace amd aggression. People go past him like he's not there, and when he spends the game lobbing over-ambitious balls to their keeper like he did yesterday he becomes a liability. He can play there in the 'easy' home games but he needs to be part of a 433 or left on the bench for other games. This was accentuated yesterday because without vinny stepping forward with the ball everyone just kept giving it to yaya who was far too immobile and who's passing was either negative poor. I think rodwell's time could be coming.

Apart from that it was a freak result caused exclusively by bad defending. I think pants might be close to a call up now and I also think Micah plays instead of zab when he's fit. Not only is zab making errors but he's running into navas's space then wasting possession.

Overall it was a bad day at the office. The time to judge Pellegrini is after we have seen how he reacts to these results and problems. I saw some positives too. I thought our attitude was very good and we didn't let them boss the game. We got all over them and used our width to stretch them and open them up. The game was fucking won, they were tiring and I could only see us getting a bagful. Then we let them back into the game with the most schoolboy of errors.

Mate they out thought us. They sat back let us have the ball in areas we couldn't hurt them and punished us when they got chances. They also out fought us. At no point did we look like getting a bagful. Surely you'd have to blame pellers as well for taking off our width, I don't think we ever really did stretch them but when he took navas off he definitely took away our ability to stretch them.
Of course they didn't outthink us. We absolutely bombed them. They defended well and had three Christmases come at once through our defending. When the manager removed navas we had gone a goal up and were totally in command. I would imagine the manager assumed they would come at us, holes would open up and nasri would assist us playing through them on the break. When they equalised he needed the width again as they retreated back behind the ball so introduced Milner.

If there's a criticism of the manager, its why didn't he address the weakness that was yaya at the base of the midfield. I will give him the benefit of the doubt on the centre halves he picked.

Time to start passing judgment is if he fails to address these weaknesses .

This was a freak result in lots of ways rather than a dreadful performance. There were good things on there as well as bad. Most of the 'bad' was invividual errors rather than system errors. We will bounce back, I'm sure. Don't underestimate what a big loss vinny is and how unlucky we have been to lose three defenders so early in the season at a time when we are surely shopping for another.

Dismal Dave on the backfoot eh? :-)

I've seen nothing from Pellegrini to suggest he is clueless yet, I think we may lose this season as he gets to grips with what the players are capable of, I'd be fascinated to know what Mancini would have done with the squad having been let down by players so frequently, too early to judge him yet.

Fernandinho looks average and was a player who would apparently have been signed if Mancini had stayed, wonder why and by whom.
Richards & Kompany should be moved on if they can't get their bodies in one piece on a regular basis.
Can't help thinking Negrado and Nasri would have been better suited to yesterdays game, Garcia continues to do his impression of Rodney Trotter.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:

But all of the outers/Mancini haters said that Pellegrini would change it all away from home.......................................

He's had one away game. You cannot implement a completely different ideology and tactical approach so soon. Even in Football Manager, which a lot of people seem to think management is as simple as, there is a 'familiarity level'!

i fully agree with what didsbury dave said.

exactly my views as well.

Neil McNab said:
I've seen nothing from Pellegrini to suggest he is clueless yet, I think we may lose this season as he gets to grips with what the players are capable of, I'd be fascinated to know what Mancini would have done with the squad having been let down by players so frequently, too early to judge him yet.

Fernandinho looks average and was a player who would apparently have been signed if Mancini had stayed, wonder why and by whom.
Richards & Kompany should be moved on if they can't get their bodies in one piece on a regular basis.
Can't help thinking Negrado and Nasri would have been better suited to yesterdays game, Garcia continues to do his impression of Rodney Trotter.

That wouldn't be acceptable for me. It's not like he's managing a bunch of unknowns,he should know pretty much everything they are capable of. I agree with everything else though,Fernandinho was swatted around like a fly yesterday.

LoveCity said:
He's had one away game. You cannot implement a completely different ideology and tactical approach so soon.

Anyone who's ever watched Pellegrini's teams with any amount of regularity will know in terms of tempo and movement we played nothing like a Pellegrini team yesterday. It will come with a little more time on the training pitch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.