Discuss Pellegrini

Joburg Hero said:
Cole and Campbell weren't even significant. Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira - That's significant. The only time an English player has contributed significantly to a title winning side is when they've been top class English players. The fact they're English is irrelevant, Lampard was one of the best players in the world through 04-07, that's the reason Chelsea were successful, not his nationality.
Can't disagree with that. Rooney was important for the scum 3 seasons ago.

Bert Trautmann's Parachute said:
gelly said:
Jumanji said:
Memo to Manuel Pellegrini- no team has ever won a Premier League title without significant contributions from English field players- FACT

English players just care more even in the tough away games that our foreign lads don't seem to wake up for. Aguero for instance is probably the biggest homer since Robinho.

I'd like to see Barry or Rodwell play behind Yaya & Fern for tricky away ties...reckon there won't be wank players prancing through our midfield à la Messi like yesterday if that's the case.
True English or atleast British players. Mancini knew this. Mourinho and seasoned PL winners know this. But Spanish duo and Pelle want to build around Spanish and Latin players.
Arsenal's invincibles had Cole and Cambell. That's two. We had two yesterday.
Hart? I said field players.

No team has ever won without significant contribution from English field players. And it's true.

I don't know if you remember but Campbell and Cole were monstrous for Arsenal. Campbell, a born leader, and Cole was brilliant as well.

Joburg Hero said:
Cole and Campbell weren't even significant. Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira - That's significant. The only time an English player has contributed significantly to a title winning side is when they've been top class English players. The fact they're English is irrelevant, Lampard was one of the best players in the world through 04-07, that's the reason Chelsea were successful, not his nationality.
Cole and Campbell did not make SIGNIFICANT contribution to the success of the invisibles?..who if I can remind you did not lose a game?

I'm sure it was fucking Pires that looked like a fucking brick wall for Arsenal.............

Jumanji said:
Bert Trautmann's Parachute said:
gelly said:
True English or atleast British players. Mancini knew this. Mourinho and seasoned PL winners know this. But Spanish duo and Pelle want to build around Spanish and Latin players.
Arsenal's invincibles had Cole and Cambell. That's two. We had two yesterday.
Hart? I said field players.

No team has ever won without significant contribution from English field players. And it's true.

I don't know if you remember but Campbell and Cole were monstrous for Arsenal. Campbell, a born leader, and Cole was brilliant as well.
'Field players'? Milner not count, then?

But how is Kompany inferior in any way as a leader to an English player? Nationality is irrelevant I think, it's all attitude and how they buy into the club ethos. Kompany and Zabaleta care far more for the club than Barton and Johnson did I'd wager. It always feels good to have an English core in the team for sentimental reasons, but I don't think it is essential. If they happen to be really good and have a never-say-die attitude, then great. But would you play Milner over Navas if we badly need to chase a game because he's a grafter and will give 110%, even though Navas creates more chances and is a more skillful player?

Jumanji said:
Joburg Hero said:
Cole and Campbell did not make SIGNIFICANT contribution to the success of the invisibles?..who if I can remind you did not lose a game?

I'm sure it was fucking Pires that looked like a fucking brick wall for Arsenal.............
They were top class players, undoubtedly, but it was Henry's contribution that couldn't be replaced, Vieira's contribution that was out of this world, not Campbell's. Pires was absolutely immense in 03/04. I don't actually understand what that sentence means, I'm not sure whether looking like a brick wall is supposed to be a good thing for a wide player or not, but you're horribly mistaken if you think Pires was poor in 03/04.<br /><br />-- Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:38 am --<br /><br />
LoveCity said:
But how is Kompany inferior in any way as a leader to an English player? Nationality is irrelevant I think, it's all attitude and how they buy into the club ethos. Kompany and Zabaleta care far more for the club than Barton and Johnson did I'd wager. It always feels good to have an English core in the team for sentimental reasons, but I don't think it is essential. If they happen to be really good and have a never-say-die attitude, then great
Yep, spot on. This whole myth that English players are required to understand the English game is nonsense, can't believe a person in the modern era could buy into that. This is 2013, not 1960. Shearer for Blackburn, Lampard for Chelsea, Rooney for United; world class players at the top of their game, contributing to title winning sides using their talent as footballers, not their nationality.

LoveCity said:
But how is Kompany inferior in any way as a leader to an English player? Nationality is irrelevant I think, it's all attitude and how they buy into the club ethos. Kompany and Zabaleta care far more for the club than Barton and Johnson did I'd wager. It always feels good to have an English core in the team for sentimental reasons, but I don't think it is essential. If they happen to be really good and have a never-say-die attitude, then great. But would you play Milner over Navas if we badly need to chase a game because he's a grafter and will give 110%, even though Navas creates more chances and is a more skillful player?
How can you even construe the rhetorical question about Kompany from my statement?? Of course not.

Regarding the Navas question, no but I feel that Milner would do more than Navas in away games like Sunday, or Stoke, etc, where you have to put in a tough physical effort. If you're chasing the goal, you then have a pacy option on the bench in Navas to pick off the tired bus parkers.

Joburg Hero said:
Jumanji said:
Joburg Hero said:

They were top class players, undoubtedly, but it was Henry's contribution that couldn't be replaced, Vieira's contribution that was out of this world, not Campbell's. Pires was absolutely immense in 03/04. I don't actually understand what that sentence means, I'm not sure whether looking like a brick wall is supposed to be a good thing for a wide player or not, but you're horribly mistaken if you think Pires was poor in 03/04.

Cole and Campbell were part of Arsenal's defensive brick wall but since you negated their contribution, conveying that it was insignificant, I was being facetious and saying maybe it was Pires that was their brick wall (;...

Arsenal weren't a defensive brick wall, that would be Chelsea 04-06. Arsenal's attack bailed them out countless times, don't get me wrong, you don't win the title without a good defence, but the defence of that invincibles side was without doubt their least convincing area of the pitch. I remember watching them come back from the dead to draw a game so many times, a genuinely spirited side who always had a goal in them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.