Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
badman said:
dzeko brings much to the club off the pitch. unlike tevez and aguero, dzeko speaks english and is able to communicate properly with his team mates.

This guy has to be a wum, surely. Everything you post is ridiculous.

hallstreetblue said:
If he stays, we will all get to see the real Edin Dzeko next season. We don't know for sure, buthe didn't have the best of relationships with the manager. It upsets some, but I'm stickin to my theory that, Mancini messed with his head. Everyone seems to think he needs wide men to get on the end of crosses, which he also can do. But he also loves to drop deep, not too dissimilar to Lewandowski. He's a CLASS ACT! Seriously.

A good player, will bring out the best in others and vice-verse.

If he has to go in order to bring Cavani in so be it. If Tevez is staying and Dzeko has to leave to help pay the bills I can live with that, but if Tevez goes and we don't have to get rid of Dzeko, with a new manager who knows....... I like Dzeko but he does infuriate me at times watching him. What also annoys me is when he was on fire he got rotated, for me that was a tragedy.

I wouldn't mind him staying but with what has happened over the season it is best we should sell him.

Took this from 365. Good to see that he highly rates City.

"Dzeko scored 15 goals in 45 appearances for City this season, but started only 16 games in the Premier League.

The 27-year-old has been heavily linked with a move to Borussia Dortmund this summer as a replacement for the seemingly Bayern Munich-bound Robert Lewandowski.

However, Susic believes that Dzeko is happy at the Etihad Stadium and is not pushing for a transfer, with Manuel Pellegrini tipped to replace Roberto Mancini as manager.

"This season, he played around 40 games, which is really quite enough," Susic told Sport.ba. "The question is if Dzeko is satisfied with this. Of course, that is not my business.

"Will he leave in the summer? I don't think so. New manager Manuel Pellegrini is coming in and Edin is part of a great team.

"Besides that, I have never heard him say one bad thing about this club. He was always very happy with his life at City.

"But maybe his biggest problem was that he is a very nice guy who is honest and who never had any problems. It is easier to put such a player on the bench than those showmakers Balotelli and Tevez.

"It will be his decision, but I believe that he will stay. He is smart enough and I know he will opt for what will be the best thing for him."

pominoz said:
SuperMario's Fireworks. said:
am i the only one who is devastated when he starts in big games, just doesnt fill me with any confidence whatsoever.

No you are not, but you can not say so because the fanboy's will have yet another hissy fit.

To be fair, there are enough hissy fits to go round on both sides of this argument.

Excellent article on Sports Illustrated website.

Eli Bernstein, SI.com
Ah, summer. The time of year when soccer players finally get to take a break from an arduously long season, relax on tropical islands with their supermodel girlfriends and watch as the transfer rumors fly thick and fast in the air around them. In the coming weeks, one who will garner lots of speculation as to the colors of the kit he will wear next season is Edin Dzeko. Yes, you read that right, Edin Dzeko: Manchester City's once-maligned, still-questioned striker who, despite staccato playing time and the immense scrutiny that comes with plying his wares in the current capital of English soccer, has made himself a key fixture at the Etihad over the past two seasons.

Residents of St. Louis and New York might recognize Dzeko from his recent starring role in Premier League Soccer: Live In America!, the two-show run featuring City and Chelsea last week. The 27-year-old Bosnian was at his goal-poaching finest during the mini tour, netting two markers in the first game and one in the second, both City victories. The goals were business as usual for Dzeko, who led the Sky Blues with 14 goals in the Premier League this year, despite starting just 16 games, 12 fewer than Carlos Tevez and six fewer than Sergio Aguero, both the first-choice strikers for the now-ousted Roberto Mancini. But the stats alone do not explain why Dzeko has been linked to first Arsenal and then Napoli as potential suitors for next season, or why many City fans, slow to warm to the lanky forward when he first came aboard, are now clamoring for him to remain with the team.

How long City will retain Dzeko's services is not clear. Sitting behind the prolific Aguero and Tevez means he will most likely continue to see spot duty if he stays in Manchester, and he could thrive with Napoli in Serie A, where his physicality would stand out in the more finesse-happy Italian league. There have been talks of swapping Dzeko for Napoli's clinical Uruguayan striker Edinson Cavani, and despite Cavani's undeniable talent Napoli would not exactly be getting a raw deal. Dzeko has proven time and again that, like a locked-in sixth man in basketball, he can provide instant offense: For goals, just add minutes.

"I want to play from the beginning, but if I come from the bench I have to give my best also," said Dzeko, who last week had joined other City players at a kickaround and meet-and-greet with members of a community affected by Hurricane Sandy on Staten Island. Despite a reputation for being slightly mercurial at times, he has embraced his role as a quick fix whenever City needs to squeeze a timely goal out of a tight game. Dzeko is aware of his reputation as a super-sub, and does not begrudge it. When asked what his best technical skill is, he responded "Scoring goals" with a chuckle.

"Sometimes it was frustrating for him, to be dropped on the bench," City midfielder Yaya Toure recounted. "It's always difficult to manage that. With his age and how he has been learning, it's been unbelievable. You have to score goals, but with this kind of pressure he's continuing to manage. To have a good mind you have to be positive, but it's not always easy in football, to be honest. That's why I like [him]."

And Dzeko has come off the bench to score some very important goals for City, many of them close to the final whistle. There were the two late goals, the first coming 60 seconds after he had been subbed in in the 79th minute, against West Brom in October, to give 10-man City an early-season boost. An 88th-minute tally (Dzeko came on in the 73rd) followed a month later, and he again victimized West Brom with a textbook volley from just inside the box in May for a 1-0 win. Then, of course, there was his game-tying, injury-time header against QPR in the final game of the 2011-12 season, which gave City a lifeline before Aguero won them the title. Dzeko may not play the full 90 every game, but he certainly makes the most of his opportunities, and does so with a physical presence that is one of the most impressive in English soccer.

"It's not everyone that can be as strong as he can be and not everyone can be as fast as he can be," City back Gael Clichy said. At 6-foot-4, Dzeko often dwarfs those around him in the offensive third of the pitch, and is a towering presence in the box. Yet while most players his size are consigned to defense or, as in the cases of fellow Premier League giants Andy Carroll and Peter Crouch, ceremonial heads on sticks used to nod down incoming long balls to waiting teammates, Dzeko brings a full skill set, complete with ball skills and an uncanny nose for goal, to his play around the opposing net.

"[He] is difficult to mark, to be honest. I train with him, and it's difficult," said Toure, who also knows a thing or two about getting a good view in a crowd. "In this time of football, it's not easy to find one striker that can play with both legs and is clever. Dzeko is such a big guy but he knows how to manage his body and he's been working very well."

Given the soccer world's ongoing fascination with possession-based play and intricate passing combinations, having a big body up front who can also link up with a team's flitting midfielders, such as City's David Silva, is regarded as somewhat of a windfall. But in the rough and tumble Premier League, Dzeko still has to rely on his power as much as his talent, which allows him to be included in the squad against sides with varying tactics and personnel.

"When you play in England against teams like Stoke and West Ham he's good to have because he can hold the ball and make a difference," Clichy said. "Football is changing. Ten years ago we were focused more on physical players and power, now it's getting more into the Spanish type of game. But you always need to have a mixture of everything and we're glad we have him because he's a big asset."

In a sense, Dzeko's skill and penchant for scoring, combined with his mindset, make things comparatively easy for him. He will play when he plays, for whatever club he happens to be at, and he will find the back of the net. "Everyone wants to play, but even if you get 10, 15, 20 minutes you want to do your best and score goals, and that's my job," he said. Simple as that.

For now, though, his job at City done for the year after a final spate of goals in America, Dzeko only has one thing in mind, and it's not the club, or his future, or anything having to do with soccer.

"First holiday," he said. "And then everything else."

Read More: <a class="postlink" href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130528/edin-dzeko-manchester-city-future/#ixzz2UcRdxHGP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer ... z2UcRdxHGP</a>

rnblade said:
SuperMario's Fireworks. said:
am i the only one who is devastated when he starts in big games, just doesnt fill me with any confidence whatsoever.
I just wish his work rate was like Tevez.
If Tevez was 6'4" he would not have that work rate. Just like heavy weight boxers don't have the work rate of the welterweight boxers.

I just watched the Edin Cavani and Dzeko goals videos. F*** me. Scary!

Our Edin and their Edin ......both wearing the sky blue....God's colour if ever there was one! It's like there was a kind of 'deja blue' somehow.

Their Edin takes a better penalty; not our Edin's strong point; of that there seems no doubt. But it was tough to pick out who scored the best from a really wide range of goals. Both clinical, with both feet and in the air; some great long shots, but most from inside the box, a result of great anticipation and yes, first touch! No amazing solo goals as such.

Which got me thinking. I know it's only goals on the video, and that doesn't tell the whole story of a player's game, but who's the more proven player? Who's playing against the best opposition? Who's playing against parked buses, week in and week out? Who's not getting regular play to build up confidence? Who was playing for a team that rarely suited his style and in front of fans that sometimes couldn't be f***ed to get behind the team? (Sorry but true at times)

Would their Edin really be that much of an improvement on our Edin next season? Based on what? I'm not convinced.

Their Edin is great, but anyway I don't think he's coming here and I'm not too concerned. I'm going to stick my neck out and say OUR Edin will be wearing OUR sky blue next season and playing under a manager that knows how to use him, surrounded by a fully motivated team and will be a f***ing Goal scoring machine. Come on our Edin.......Dzeko!

Sorry if this should have been in the Cavani speculation thread.

Phuket Blue said:
I just watched the Edin Cavani and Dzeko goals videos. F*** me. Scary!

Our Edin and their Edin ......both wearing the sky blue....God's colour if ever there was one! It's like there was a kind of 'deja blue' somehow.

Their Edin takes a better penalty; not our Edin's strong point; of that there seems no doubt. But it was tough to pick out who scored the best from a really wide range of goals. Both clinical, with both feet and in the air; some great long shots, but most from inside the box, a result of great anticipation and yes, first touch! No amazing solo goals as such.

Which got me thinking. I know it's only goals on the video, and that doesn't tell the whole story of a player's game, but who's the more proven player? Who's playing against the best opposition? Who's playing against parked buses, week in and week out? Who's not getting regular play to build up confidence? Who was playing for a team that rarely suited his style and in front of fans that sometimes couldn't be f***ed to get behind the team? (Sorry but true at times)

Would their Edin really be that much of an improvement on our Edin next season? Based on what? I'm not convinced.

Their Edin is great, but anyway I don't think he's coming here and I'm not too concerned. I'm going to stick my neck out and say OUR Edin will be wearing OUR sky blue next season and playing under a manager that knows how to use him, surrounded by a fully motivated team and will be a f***ing Goal scoring machine. Come on our Edin.......Dzeko!

Sorry if this should have been in the Cavani speculation thread.
You did post it in the Cavani thread, about 12 hours ago.

Not really sure what's happening right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.