Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why but I really feel dzeko can thrive under Pellegrini ...alway felt he was underused and judging by his comments of late he wants to stick around whatever happens and if he is off then he will be scoring plenty of goals like Balotelli at AC Milan further highlighting how Mancini man management messed it all up.

Would love to keep dzeko but if cavani comes then I'm still happy win win scenario.

If he sticks around I hope he cuts out this "yeah I scored but im not going to celebrate because you all doubted me". A happy Edin is a good Edin, a bitter one is not.

bluemathlady said:
If he sticks around I hope he cuts out this "yeah I scored but im not going to celebrate because you all doubted me". A happy Edin is a good Edin, a bitter one is not.

This. I remember the support we gave him at Ewood Park, before he scored his first league goal, when he was warming up on the touchline.

I get the feeling however he doesn't remember, unfortunately.

Comrade Buka said:
rnblade said:
SuperMario's Fireworks. said:
am i the only one who is devastated when he starts in big games, just doesnt fill me with any confidence whatsoever.
I just wish his work rate was like Tevez.

Personally I wish Tevez goalscoring ability was like Dzeko's.
They're different players with a different skillset. Work rate however should be common.

Blueroses said:
I don't know why but I really feel dzeko can thrive under Pellegrini ...alway felt he was underused and judging by his comments of late he wants to stick around whatever happens and if he is off then he will be scoring plenty of goals like Balotelli at AC Milan further highlighting how Mancini man management messed it all up.

Would love to keep dzeko but if cavani comes then I'm still happy win win scenario.

balotelli seems to be enjoying himself in milan.

Comrade Buka said:
rnblade said:
SuperMario's Fireworks. said:
am i the only one who is devastated when he starts in big games, just doesnt fill me with any confidence whatsoever.

You mean despite the fact that career wise, their goal scoring records are practically identical.

A goal every 2.3 games

bluemathlady said:

I would do the same if someone doubted my ability at lets say chopping carrots?

I would chop chop chop chop and then stop.

Finger on the mouth.

Suck it doubters, that carrot is chopped.

Last 2 games I don't blame him considering it was a friendly and all. He looked like he was having fun.

Why Blues Are Too Focused on Attackers

BUMP...with an article that I mostly agree with

<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1653621-manchester-city-why-blues-are-too-focused-on-attackers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1653 ... -attackers</a>

Manchester City's offseason has gotten off to an interesting start. After the announcement of the club's partnership with the New York Yankees to create Major League Soccer's newest franchise, New York City FC, they took part in a pair of friendlies against Chelsea in the United States.

The first, which took place at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, saw City overturn a 3-0 deficit to grab a deserved 4-3 win. This was followed by another great match at Yankee Stadium, in which Brian Kidd's side picked up a 5-3 victory.

With the transfer window approaching, one of the biggest questions raised in the media is who City will bring in to bolster their strike force. After all, this is a club that scored 27 fewer goals in the most recent Premier League campaign than in their title run the year before.

But is it possible that the focus has been too great on the attack? Nine goals in two games, including three from striker Edin Dzeko, against a solid Chelsea side would indicate an attack that seems to be pretty solid as it is.

Yes, the goals were drastically down last season. But part of this was due to a lack of depth. Sergio Aguero dealt with various injuries throughout the season, while Mario Balotelli was suspended for a number of games.

When Balotelli was sold, it left the club with just three strikers. And since Roberto Mancini often chose to go with two at a time in his formation, it could lead to burnout and defenses knowing what to expect.

Of course, what these opponents should be expecting is a triumvirate of players who know how to score. Dzeko, Aguero and Carlos Tevez were one of only three trios to eclipse 10 league goals each. The others: van Persie, Rooney and Chicharito of United, and Arsenal's quartet of Walcott, Cazorla, Giroud and Podolski.

As mentioned before, Mancini often chose to use a combination of two of his three striking options at once. In theory, this could prove effective, but it could also lead to too great a focus on matters in the middle of the park.

Combined with attacking midfielders who preferred to play inside like David Silva and Samir Nasri, the formation becomes very narrow. This allows the opposing midfield and central defense to clamp down on everything while allowing the full-backs to do as they please.

A solution to this problem can be found without bringing in a striker like Napoli's Edinson Cavani. Part of this involves keeping options they already have, which is something they've already done by agreeing to a contract extension with Aguero.

If Tevez or Dzeko leave, as is a possibility, they already have a top striker waiting in the wings in the dynamic Swede John Guidetti. Already a 20-goal scorer in his young career—in just 23 Eredivisie games in 2011-12—he has the potential to be a superb long-term option for City.

One thing that City absolutely must do rather than get a striker is invest in wide midfield players. Likely new manager Manuel Pellegrini will certainly have a plan in mind for his new side, one which involves adjusting tactics.

In Malaga's attacking force, the Chilean has typically trotted out a 4-2-3-1 formation with just one striker, usually either Javier Saviola or Roque Santa Cruz. For City, the easy choice to take up this role would be Aguero.

The midfield trio then boasts two strong wide players, such as Joaquin and Eliseu, plus the dynamic Isco up the middle. The young Spaniard is a top target for City, as he already has a strong bond with Pellegrini, whom Isco considers his "footballing father."

He's a top talent, and can play up the middle or wide to the left where he would be a valued asset for City. A target for the right side is yet another top Spanish talent, Sevilla winger Jesus Navas. While he has not had the best season statistically, he is entering the prime of his career.

The 27-year-old has suffered from bouts of homesickness in the past, but at this stage in his career he seems enthusiastic about potentially joining Pellegrini at City. With the Chilean's pedigree for transforming sides as he did at Villareal and Malaga, it's hard to blame Navas.

A front four of Aguero, Isco, Silva and Navas would certainly be a fearsome one, one which can provide width as well as dynamism in the middle. And by saving some money by not buying someone like Cavani, they can focus on other areas of the pitch.

This is not to say that Cavani would not be an astute buy for City. The Uruguayan is an absolute goal machine who could inspire the Eastlands side back to the top of the Premier League as Robin van Persie did for United.

But by focusing so much on bringing in a player to shore up an area that may not necessarily need shoring up, it takes away from other areas of need. This needs to change so that the club can bolster the areas that must be fixed to get this team back on top of the league.

pudge said:
Comrade Buka said:
rnblade said:

You mean despite the fact that career wise, their goal scoring records are practically identical.

A goal every 2.3 games

Tevez had a nice career as a striker. But those days appear to be over. His goal scoring record over the last couple season's has dipped dramatically. He appears to be headed for the midfield. He can't finish, or at least hasn't finished, like he used to. But, he can set up strikers others, maintain possession, and has the proper work rate for a midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.