Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
LoveCity said:
zeven said:
I do a agree with you, a strikers primary objective is to score. however if the player in question fails with his overall play means less chances for other players to score and an overall decrease in goals. what you need are a striker who himself scores regulary and being a huge part in building and setting up others to score too. At our level and this should be minum requirements.

Correct. If it was only about goals, Bayern would not be selling one of the most potent strikers in world football, Mario Gomez. And United would start Hernandez every game as he has one of the best strike rates in European football. But both offer very little besides the goals that contributes to the team.

Actually it depends on how your team is build. If you have an offensive midfield with such potent goalscorers like Bayern has them you need another kind of goal scorer than if you have an offensive midfield with other types of players.

zeven said:
woolleyback blue said:
zeven said:
I believe it all come downs to each clubs standars, where ours are higher. Dezkos contribution last season may have been seen as a success at Malaga where here its not been good enough. His goal to minute ratio is good but his overall play has been shit
This is just my two cents on the matter. and i dont care if he stays or goes

Isn't the whole job of a striker to score goals. If Dzeko bangs in 30+ goals a season then he's doing his job. He managed 13 last season in a team that was underperforming and with limited playing time. I don't subscribe to this idea that he couldn't front up a team playing tiki taki football.
I do a agree with you, a strikers primary objective is to score. however if the player in question fails with his overall play means less chances for other players to score and an overall decrease in goals. what you need are a striker who himself scores regulary and being a huge part in building and setting up others to score too. At our level and this should be minum requirements.

It may be surprising, but that's not actually true regarding Dzeko. Last season we scored more goals per game as a team when he was on the pitch than Tevez or Aguero (2.03 goals/game compared to 1.87 and 1.69 for Tev and Aguero). I'm not trying to (re)start any old arguments about who's the best striker of the three, but for some reason (here's where there can be a fruitful discussion) the team scored more goals when Dzeko played (also conceded more).

LoveCity said:
zeven said:

Correct. If it was only about goals, Bayern would not be selling one of the most potent strikers in world football, Mario Gomez. And United would start Hernandez every game as he has one of the best strike rates in European football. But both offer very little besides the goals that contributes to the team.

It might look that way, but as a team, United scored more goals per game last season when Hernandez was playing than any of their other strikers (2.77 goals/game compared to 2.22 for Rooney, 2.21 for RVP, and 1.77 for Wellbeck).

CaliforniaBlue said:
LoveCity said:
zeven said:

It might look that way, but as a team, United scored more goals per game last season when Hernandez was playing than any of their other strikers (2.77 goals/game compared to 2.22 for Rooney, 2.21 for RVP, and 1.77 for Wellbeck).

It's not as simple as that or he'd start every game wouldn't he? As a bit part player he comes off the bench a lot and start against weaker opposition. He only started 9 league games for United last season.

LoveCity said:
CaliforniaBlue said:
LoveCity said:

It's not as simple as that or he'd start every game wouldn't he? As a bit part player he comes off the bench a lot and start against weaker opposition. He only started 9 league games for United last season.

I doubt that many managers trust stats more than their own judgement (possibly to the detriment of the team), and you're right that it's not as simple as that, but if I was managing United I would have started him in a lot more games (he'd start ahead of Wellbeck every time for me).

You're also right that Hernandez didn't play in a lot of the tougher games (or didn't play much), so I recalculated the numbers to only include games in which he played at least 20 minutes (this means the other players aren't disadvantaged by playing in more difficult games). In this case, RVP was the most productive for the team (2.57 team goals/game) but Hernandez was a close second (2.46) with Rooney (2.18) and Wellbeck (1.59) further back.

Incidentally, it's interesting to note that RVP's numbers go up when you take out some of the tougher games, but Rooney's go down slightly. This means that RVP is quite a bit less effective against stronger opposition (1.93 team goals/game), whereas Rooney is actually slightly better against stronger opposition (2.26 team goals/game).

johnbmcr said:
AND FINALLY

Stoke City's Bosnia and Herzegovina goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, 25, has been voted 'Idol of the Nation' to end Edin Dzeko's three-year reign after helping put his country in a strong position to qualify for the 2014 World Cup.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=bih/news/newsid=1961955.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/ ... 61955.html</a>

seems edins fans are deserting him in droves

Asmir Begovic is better goalie than anyone in England. :D. At least one class above all of them. We better buy him and sack Panti, JH will warm the bench and play CC and perhaps FA.

BobbyLazarus said:
g180aj said:
yeah in comparison to mario who was a genius......oh wait!

Wrong again. I'm only interested in the football aspect. I see football purely as entertainment. From that perspective, Mario was a genius and Edin is a big lump.

However, I can see that if you saw something in football that represented an extension of yourself and therefore that the result or performance of the team or a specific player somehow reflected on you, then maybe a free scoring big lump might be more your cup of tea than an entertaining genius because genius often attracts ridicule.

The again, maybe you think Edin is a better player. Fair enough. But if you think anyone with a different viewpoint needs to be corrected, you're a nutter.

I think that edin is a good player and believe he is of more use to the team at han mario ever was and he is a lot more selfish than him also. my point was that all the kids on here dont appreciate dzeko because he isn't as technical as tevez or aguero or as agile as silva and they love mario because of his off field antics when on the field he spent more time getting booked in than doing any good.

Mancini on Dzeko

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/dzeko-would-thrive-italy---4324047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ---4324047</a>

Roberto Mancini is urging Napoli to reconsider taking Edin Dzeko as part of any deal with Edinson Cavani.

The former City boss has broken his silence after leaving the Blues at the end of last season – on the same day as Manuel Pellegrini was finally announced as his successor.

Mancini – who revealed that he wants to manage at next summer’s World Cup in Brazil – confirmed that Cavani had been on the club’s radar for some time.

“Dzeko is a great striker and he could score 20-30 goals a season in Italy. I’m sure of that,” the Italian said.

City had an offer of cash plus Dzeko rejected out of hand by Napoli, who want to hold out for the entire £54m release clause in the striker’s contract.

The Bosnian has scored 30 goals in 77 league games while at the Etihad Stadium but has failed to truly win over supporters following his a £27m move from Wolfsburg two years ago. He has been labelled a super-sub during his time in England, but doubts remain over his touch and ability to perform consistently.

His inability to fully fire in the Premier League is one of the reasons sporting director Txiki Begiristain has been on the look-out for the next blockbuster attacking signing.

“When I was at City I often spoke about Cavani with the management because he was somebody who could have been targeted,” Mancini added.

“However, I don’t know now whether he is of interest in the club’s new technical project.”

Cavani’s father has upset City’s chances of signing the 26-year-old, however, after claiming that his son is pining for a move to Real Madrid.

I haven't read the thread so apologies if anyone else has said this already.

I'm going to stick my neck out & say I don't think Cavani is any better then Edin. I think we should give Dzeko another season to see what he is like in a different system & save ourselves £50m.

Juan King said:
I haven't read the thread so apologies if anyone else has said this already.

I'm going to stick my neck out & say I don't think Cavani is any better then Edin. I think we should give Dzeko another season to see what he is like in a different system & save ourselves £50m.
We'll more likely get rid of Tevez and get both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.