Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
teddykgb said:
confidence clearly matters and helps him, but I don't think he would necessarily suffer from rotation. I think the Dzeko we're seeing has more to do with our style changes than just confidence.

He's just not being asked to do as many of the things he's not as good at the way we're playing. He's a player who belongs in the box. That's where he's most dangerous. He can come short or stay in the box, but with slow build up I'm not sure he's comfortable enough to not make mistakes. We've been much quicker at turning defense into attack in these friendlies, at least, and even when he drops deeper he's got a lot more space to work with.

In a lot of ways, in a slower attack, I think he gets a bit overwhelmed by all the bodies around him. It's where his touch lets him down and his passes aren't quite fine enough. With more space, some more direct attacking, and some pretty clever crosses that reward his runs, he's finding an effectiveness that always seemed lurking but never fully came out.

If I have any concerns, it's that these are friendlies and he's a player with a lot to prove. It's at least plausible that some of this effectiveness is due to his taking these games just a bit more seriously than some of the competition. I think the style changes benefit the player regardless, but it probably won't be quite so simple (although the last two wonder strikes score on any keeper at any intensity, really) when the league resumes.

Good post. I hope you are right. Because life at City (unless your name is Joe, Vinny, or Yaya) means having to deal with rotation, at least sometimes. It's comforting to think that style of play will help him more than just the confidence thing. He needs to know that if he does miss one, the next one will be played in to his feet a minute later and he will continue to be fed and relied upon to get the next one. Quick transitions, win it back, crosses from the fullbacks and Navas on the wings, one twos with Silva and Jovetic, bang them in to Edin all day long.

That said, my god, the two (our style and his confidence) are related and his head is clearly at least a part of the puzzle. He looked HIGH in that post-match interview after the Milan match, and I mean that in a good way; the guy was absolutely buzzing, he could hardly talk straight he was so happy, you could tell that he was still completely in the zone and ready to put two more in the net if someone passed him a ball while he was being interviewed. Unfortunately for Edin, I think his manager, his mood, and how things are going for him will always be a part of it. The good news is, the highs will be very high. Tottenham away high.

One of the most compelling stories of this upcoming season for me will be how Pellegrini manages Dzeko.

If anyone watched his interview, you could tell the positive effect that Pellegrini is having on him by instilling confidence in him through various statements such as "Edin is my main striker". This is something he admitted to having a major impact on him and something he did not receive from Mancini. I think we'll see a much different Dzeko this season, hopefully one that resembles his Wolfsburg self.

Some in earlier pages are acting like Dzeko needs to be tucked into bed every night by the manager. He just needs faith from the coach as MP has shown, and fair/equal treatment as a player.

Many times the last few seasons it seemed that the other strikers were chosen to start over Dzeko despite how they performed..whereas if Edin didn't score as a starter he knew he'd be benched for the next game and blasted by the media. He had extra pressure on him that others didn't it seemed. Considering the professional he is, especially compared to how Mario and Tevez acted, it's really a mystery to me why he was the bastard stepchild in Mancini's eyes.

This along with the slow build-up offense has greatly held him back, which shows his potential when taking into account the amount of goals he has scored regardless. As many have already mentioned.

Pellegrini has unleashed the Wolfsburg Dzeko. Let's hope the good form and team chemistry continues into the season. I don't think squad rotation will be a problem for Edin unless Pellegrini treats him like shit as Mancini did. There will be plenty games to go around, but I am very curious to see how MP manages all of the forwards.

BlueMoonoverUS said:
Dzeko's Right Boot said:
This thread is the arsehole of the internet. Horrible place, opinionated pricks everywhere. There is just little discussion, only insults hurled between the same people. I wish this thread would slowly die, but it won't. If Dzeko has a good game (even in a meaningless friendly like today and in Hong Kong) the pro-Edin camp write something like "where are the haters now?", and if he has a poor game, the anti-Edin group want him out the club. The cycle continues.

Kind of sickening that there actually is an anti- and pro- Edin club. Shouldn't we back all players?
This...

Apart from these being meaningless friendlies. We have four new players who need to gel in the team so matches are essential.

It is not rocket science, play a good winger with pace and crossing ability and Edin can get on the end of more chances. Yes I love the recent wonder strikes but I will be happy if there are more tap ins this season.

Proelia said:
g180aj said:
Proelia said:
Performance being overrated on here, scored a tap in and one quality goal but was disposessed numerous times and gave the ball away from simple passes he had to make

Did his job and did it well tonight, didn't think he was motm but frankly shut the fuck up with ure negativity towards him! sick of people slaggin him off just for the sake of it, change the fuckin record.....

who uses records anymore?

you do..get in the present ffs.<br /><br />-- Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:37 am --<br /><br />
Mountaineer said:
am333 said:
This thread is bipolar as hell. Dzeko lovers will blame everyone else in the team if he fails. If he scores 5 goals a game haters will say...yeah but he had 2 bad meaningless passes. Have a feeling some people here want him to fail even if that would mean relegation. Team plays, makes mistakes and have awesome games. Support the team guys....and everyone that manuel thinks deserve to be on the squad.
Lmao exactly the feeling I get. He has three great games in a row and wins all three games for City and wins man of the match twice in a row for scoring two brilliant world class goals....and he still gets hated on by some.

It is incredible.

Not incredible..Pathetic is the word you are looking for..

brian the blue said:
He's working up a head of steam... but it's only pre season.

I'll be interested to see how he performs during the season when he's being rotated. 2 years ago he started like a house on fire then he was rotated for one game at home to Wigan and he fell to pieces.

People are getting carried away thinking he'll score 20+ goals this season in my opinion.
I agree. Lets wait till we start playing real games before celebrating the second coming.

Dzeko's Right Boot said:
This thread is the arsehole of the internet. Horrible place, opinionated pricks everywhere. There is just little discussion, only insults hurled between the same people. I wish this thread would slowly die, but it won't. If Dzeko has a good game (even in a meaningless friendly like today and in Hong Kong) the pro-Edin camp write something like "where are the haters now?", and if he has a poor game, the anti-Edin group want him out the club. The cycle continues.

Kind of sickening that there actually is an anti- and pro- Edin club. Shouldn't we back all players?

This thread is about Dzeko..How many other city players have 400+ page threads about them...??

This thread will be going strong all through the season,if you dont like the fact that there are differing opinions about a player I suggest you either join in and put you opinion across,or go to another thread where everyone is backslapping each other for all having the same opinion....but please dont act like a dictator telling us how we should or shouldnt act on a football forum whilst discussing a player who splits opinions....

what a boring place you yearn for..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.