Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
pominoz said:
noise said:
Esteban de la Sexface said:
He isn't anything if he is not a target man. He is a beanpole who doesn't have the pace to get in behind, can't beat a man with trickery, his first touch is dodgy and he can't win a header. I'm sorry for 30 million or whatever we payed for him that isn't good enough, especially when you throw his dodgy attitude into the mix.

Infuriates me when he lies on the ground pretending to be hurt while the play goes on around him.

Franny Jeffers scored goals but he was shit.
Your post sir is a fine example what's wrong with this thread.

It's the truth, how can it be wrong?

I wouldn't put Dzeko in the Heskey, Crouch, Carlton Cole or Samaras category.

pominoz said:
noise said:
pominoz said:
It's the truth, how can it be wrong?
Franny Jeffers couldn't tie Dzeko's shoes for one.

I am surprised Dzeko can tie his own boots the way he has been playing ;)
I am surprised he's this good, considering he's not even trying after being benched for so long. Imagine if he was trying? I don't have to, I watched him in Wolfsburg.

pudge said:
Yet, some react as if those two moments negate 90 minutes of poor play when they don't, but it also can't be said that he was awful all game obviously because he had an assist and a goal.

This really is the crux of it, isn't it? Incredibly hard player to judge. The goals and assists just always find a way to happen, it's rather incredible really. He can do nothing for huge amounts of time, but has an almost supernatural ability to find himself in the right place at the right time to make things happen. I understand all of the frustration about the player, even if I don't agree with most of it, because at the end of the day if the goals and assists are there, I'm not sure I care much how they came. But I can absolutely see the flip side to this, how the goals and assists can seem to be a mirage that papers over so many cracks. I legitimately don't know what the right or wrong way to view this is, it seems clear cut at this point that Edin will bag goals and create from time to time, and will frustrate the shit out of his teammates and fans in the time between his world class plays.

I do think that his size and stature really hurt him. It's impossible to see a player this large and not want the player to be a physical force who imposes his will upon the game more consistently. The contrast against Negredo is massive, because Negredo is basically the player you'd want Edin to be, only Edin's strengths and weaknesses in reality are just different.

I don't know why I'm bothering in the Edin thread yet again, since it's just not a worthwhile exercise. I think the consensus that was being achieved is largely true. I think Dzeko likely needs to move on to a team that fits him a bit better. I think it's clear from his Bosnian record and his time at Wolfsburg that he probably needs to be more of a focal point than he will likely ever be with our squad. Or permitted to be more of a "fox in the box" who just gets goals while the rest of his team creates. I'd be terrified of him reprising the role Gomez had at Bayern, or even Lewandowski at Dortmund, because I think he'd excel. Realistically, in our setup, we're not quite good enough that we can expect our other 10 to be so dominant that our striker can simply be a ruthless, instinctual, goal scoring machine.

With my money on the line, however, with a striker bearing down on the box, I'd surely feel confident with Dzeko with the ball at his feet. He's got one hell of a shot and a real knack for finding the back of the net. I suspect we as fans will miss this after he's moved on and some of the heavier touches, turnovers, and silly passes have faded from our memory.

kara54 said:
pudge said:
Pominoz is right, I don't hate or dislike Dzeko. You don't do what he's done in his career if you're 'shit'.

But as I said, the reaction to his performance last night is what irks me and other posters.

He was poor for the majority of the game, that's a fact. Everyone was, until Silva came on, but as this is the Dzeko thread and someone asked how he played in particular then his individual performance will be discussed.

If that was a league game and it ended after 90 minutes, nobody could say he himself played well.

BUT he helped change the game in ET and produced two moments of quality.

Yet, some react as if those two moments negate 90 minutes of poor play when they don't, but it also can't be said that he was awful all game obviously because he had an assist and a goal.

Posters have addressed both, "played poorly for most but still knows where the back of the net is and helped change the game for us"

What's wrong with that summary? Nothing, its not hateful or trolling, its the truth. Yet some won't have that and that's what annoys the fuck out of most.

I even praised him after last night but people just see the word 'pudge' and see red..

Imo, he did never really shine in City. That's on the style of the play, I posted it a few games after that Spurs game. It did never suit him, and unfortunately for him it did not change much under the new manager. For City, we'll still see.
And Negredo fits better in at the moment, that's true. Being on the bench behind Negredo and Kun is actually fair. But being behind of Balo, I think, was not.

Nevertheless, one cannot deny Dzeko's quality. It's nothing about crosses, nothing about touch, head, left or right foot. When used to his strengths, he is lethal and he is "world-class". Create him space where he can run into and send him balls there. Pass or cross the ball to him when in the box. Then, he can create chances, and he can score even better. That's actually it.
Never have, never will. Like I said, you don't achieve what he has in his career if you're not a quality player.

But as much as we'd all love it, we'll never see the 'Wolfsburg Dzeko' here because we won't ever suit his qualities as much as that team or league did.

Yes he scores goals and nobody can deny or knock that but when you see someone like Negredo who's scoring as frequently but, and I don't mean this in a hateful or mean way, is offering more then it kinda makes Dzeko look expendable if not just knocking him down the pecking order. Negredo's style suits this league and our play, whereas that's not the case for Dzeko.

If he stays then he'll continue to bag 10-15 goals a season but not much else, which at City would equate to 3rd/4th choice and ultimately it would seem like a waste of talent because he's proven he's better than as he's won player of the year awards, and not for no reason.

But at the same time it's frustrating because you feel a player of that level could adapt his game, especially given he's been here for 3+ years, hence the frustration.

noise said:
pominoz said:
noise said:
Franny Jeffers couldn't tie Dzeko's shoes for one.

I am surprised he's this good, considering he's not even trying after being benched for so long. Imagine if he was trying? I don't have to, I watched him in Wolfsburg.
Well if he's not trying, he can sit on the bench for fucking eternity then and clearly its his attitude that is the issue.

pudge said:
kara54 said:
pudge said:
Pominoz is right, I don't hate or dislike Dzeko. You don't do what he's done in his career if you're 'shit'.

But as I said, the reaction to his performance last night is what irks me and other posters.

He was poor for the majority of the game, that's a fact. Everyone was, until Silva came on, but as this is the Dzeko thread and someone asked how he played in particular then his individual performance will be discussed.

If that was a league game and it ended after 90 minutes, nobody could say he himself played well.

BUT he helped change the game in ET and produced two moments of quality.

Posters have addressed both, "played poorly for most but still knows where the back of the net is and helped change the game for us"

What's wrong with that summary? Nothing, its not hateful or trolling, its the truth. Yet some won't have that and that's what annoys the fuck out of most.

I even praised him after last night but people just see the word 'pudge' and see red..

Imo, he did never really shine in City. That's on the style of the play, I posted it a few games after that Spurs game. It did never suit him, and unfortunately for him it did not change much under the new manager. For City, we'll still see.
And Negredo fits better in at the moment, that's true. Being on the bench behind Negredo and Kun is actually fair. But being behind of Balo, I think, was not.

Nevertheless, one cannot deny Dzeko's quality. It's nothing about crosses, nothing about touch, head, left or right foot. When used to his strengths, he is lethal and he is "world-class". Create him space where he can run into and send him balls there. Pass or cross the ball to him when in the box. Then, he can create chances, and he can score even better. That's actually it.
Never have, never will. Like I said, you don't achieve what he has in his career if you're not a quality player.

But as much as we'd all love it, we'll never see the 'Wolfsburg Dzeko' here because we won't ever suit his qualities as much as that team or league did.

Yes he scores goals and nobody can deny or knock that but when you see someone like Negredo who's scoring as frequently but, and I don't mean this in a hateful or mean way, is offering more then it kinda makes Dzeko look expendable if not just knocking him down the pecking order. Negredo's style suits this league and our play, whereas that's not the case for Dzeko.

If he stays then he'll continue to bag 10-15 goals a season but not much else, which at City would equate to 3rd/4th choice and ultimately it would seem like a waste of talent because he's proven he's better than as he's won player of the year awards, and not for no reason.

But at the same time it's frustrating because you feel a player of that level could adapt his game, especially given he's been here for 3+ years, hence the frustration.
I actually agree with your assessment here. and I must admit I really like Negredo, he's really grown on me. But I still think Dzeko is a huge untapped potential. Which he will only realize if he leaves imo. So I am in agreement.

Matty said:
stony said:
AntiUnited said:
zzzz watch the giffs plz and stop talking out of your ass

Hombre has been watching City since before he could walk. He's probably seen City play away more times than you've seen them on a stream.
I'd rather listen to his opinion than that of a johnny come lately who would struggle to find Manchester on a map.
He's spot on with his assessment of Dzeko's performance yesterday. Dzeko is a player who needs to play every game. If he doesn't, he sulks and goes missing. The simple fact is, he isn't as good as Negredo. If he was, he'd start more often. There's no conspiracy against Dzeko, if he plays well, he is praised. He just doesn't do it often enough to warrant a guaranteed starting spot.
If he stopped being such a mard arse and applied himself better, he would probably start more.
No, you're not getting it, Dzeko actually DOES play well, it's just only Dzeko fans can see it. The rest of us, City fans, City managers etc, are just wrong. When we watch the game we don't understand that Dzeko is, consistently, one of the World's best players.

And we're secretly Serbian, so hate him anyway.

Haha Matty you are on one today

BlueTG said:
noise said:
pominoz said:
Well if he's not trying, he can sit on the bench for fucking eternity then and clearly its his attitude that is the issue.
I think the attitude is the result of being dicked around for the last 3 years.

- Play well as a sub and you will get a crack at the starting XI. Done. Super sub haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.