Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
BillyShears said:
Matty said:
Ultimately the Dzeko argument always comes down to the same thing, on the pro-Dzeko side of the fence you've got posters pointing out his past exploits (the QPR goal, his record at Wolfsburg etc) as well as his goalscoring record, whereas on the anti-Dzeko side of the fence you've got posters looking at the here and now and asking for more than just goals from Dzeko. It all depends where your views lie as to whether you're happy with what Dzeko is doing. Personally I think he needs to do more than score goals, we've got Aguero and Negredo who can score equally as often, if not more regularly, and they both bring other attributes to the table. Given our resources I don't think it's going out on a limb too much to say that we could sell Dzeko for a decent amount, and bring in another striker with the potential to score us 15-20 goals a season AND contribute in other ways to the first team. Dzeko is a little like Berbatov (although not as extreme an example), he'll never be a player who is overly bothered in anything else other than trying to score, which is great when he's scoring regularly, but for a club in City's current position we need more than that.

A pretty fair assessment of the situation.

I really like Edin ... was a big season for him this one but I think sadly for him in Negredo we've simply signed a superior player who has developed a superior understanding with Kun. Come the summer I suspect Edin will be a Dortmund player, and if he is i for one will wish him all the best.

In the meantime though we have a hell of a lot of football to be played and it'll only take one injury for Edin to become paramount to our chances of winning things. For this reason alone I find it mad how many people are seemingly desperate for us to get rid of him.

You do know that when Edin gets the game time, he will be able to find the rhythm he needs to also contribute to the team's play, this season? Negredo has been given that time to play and learn the pace and intensity of the Prem.

Like I said before, Pellers has decided Al doesn't have the time to drip learn the Prem. It is much the same as Fernandinho's 'sink or swim' development and I think people are misreading Pellers' intentions for the team.

Oh well.

Bigga said:
BillyShears said:
Matty said:
Ultimately the Dzeko argument always comes down to the same thing, on the pro-Dzeko side of the fence you've got posters pointing out his past exploits (the QPR goal, his record at Wolfsburg etc) as well as his goalscoring record, whereas on the anti-Dzeko side of the fence you've got posters looking at the here and now and asking for more than just goals from Dzeko. It all depends where your views lie as to whether you're happy with what Dzeko is doing. Personally I think he needs to do more than score goals, we've got Aguero and Negredo who can score equally as often, if not more regularly, and they both bring other attributes to the table. Given our resources I don't think it's going out on a limb too much to say that we could sell Dzeko for a decent amount, and bring in another striker with the potential to score us 15-20 goals a season AND contribute in other ways to the first team. Dzeko is a little like Berbatov (although not as extreme an example), he'll never be a player who is overly bothered in anything else other than trying to score, which is great when he's scoring regularly, but for a club in City's current position we need more than that.

A pretty fair assessment of the situation.

I really like Edin ... was a big season for him this one but I think sadly for him in Negredo we've simply signed a superior player who has developed a superior understanding with Kun. Come the summer I suspect Edin will be a Dortmund player, and if he is i for one will wish him all the best.

In the meantime though we have a hell of a lot of football to be played and it'll only take one injury for Edin to become paramount to our chances of winning things. For this reason alone I find it mad how many people are seemingly desperate for us to get rid of him.

You do know that when Edin gets the game time, he will be able to find the rhythm he needs to also contribute to the team's play, this season?Negredo has been given that time to play and learn the pace and intensity of the Prem.

Like I said before, Pellers has decided Al doesn't have the time to drip learn the Prem. It is much the same as Fernandinho's 'sink or swim' development and I think people are misreading Pellers' intentions for the team.

Oh well.
The difference in their playing time is about 70 minutes.

With Dzeko starting more games and Negredo coming off of the bench more times than Edin. So if anything Negredo's time on the pitch has been more 'stop/start'.

Saying Negredo has had the time to adjust and find a rythym unlike Dzeko is not quite true.

samharris said:
Matty said:
samharris said:
Everyone expects Dzeko to be like Negredo tbh Billy, but thats like asking Berbatov to be like Drogba, or Benteke to be like Aguero..

All goalscorers have their own traights,and Dzeko has his own traight and some see it as lazy or cant be arsed..

It is far from that tbh- 6 goals in 11 games could be 21/22 goals this season..

Not bad for a player 3rd in the pecking order..

I'm not sure I actually know what Dzeko's traits are as a player, other than the scoring of goals (which, as I've mentioned earlier, we also get from Aguero and Negredo). With Aguero and Negredo you can point to the "other things" they do, besides scoring goals. With Dzeko I'm not so sure. I don't expect him to be Aguero II or Negredo II, every player has their own style, and their own strengths and weaknesses. I'd just be intrigued to know what you, as a pro-Dzeko poster, see as the "other things" Dzeko brings?

Ive already said that his traight is as a goalscorer...hes not got the skill do do much else in all honesty..His traight is that on his day he is a lethal goalscorer who scores his fair share..and as a lifelong City fan,anyone who scores regularely for City is deserving of a place in the squad and team.

Then that's where my issue lies. Aguero and Negredo possess the trait of being goalscorers. They also possess other traits, different ones to each other, and therefore add to the team even when they aren't scoring goals. Dzeko possesses the goalscorer trait, but by your own admission, which kind of backs up my own thoughts on this, he doesn't possess any other traits to add to that. So, when he isn't scoring goals, he isn't really adding too much else to the side. My opinion is that Manchester City are blessed with a huge amount of money, and this money means that we can attract some truly exceptional footballers to the club. We could sell Dzeko for something like £15m - £20m (given the cost of buying Negredo I don't think that is unrealistic) and then spend £25m or so on a player who could score 20 or so goals a season AND had other traits to add. If the prospect of spending money was one which City struggled with then, as a third option, a striker who could score you 20 goals wouldn't be a bad one at all. However, as we have the resources to upgrade then you have to ask the question, why should we hold on to a player like Dzeko when we sould bring in a replacement who can add more than him?

The lack of other traits also answers the question "why is Dzeko only 3rd choice and losing game time to Negredo?". The answer is simple, Player A can get you 20 goals a season. Player B can get you 20 goals a season, and works the back line hard, battles the centre half, links up play well with his teammates and holds the ball up well. Which player would you pick?

pudge said:
Saying Negredo has had the time to adjust and find a rythym unlike Dzeko is not quite true.

Yeah I agree ... I just think it's apparent that Negredo and Kun have an understanding, and for me more importantly, Negredo understands that playing for Kun will better serve him as well. That's one thing Dzeko certainly can't do IMO ... play for another striker. He's too greedy, too selfish, spends a lot of games playing like he's trying to prove a point to the manager about what a great striker he is rather than contributing to the team play.

Even if we've got better strikers than Dzeko, that doesn't make him a ****. Far from it.

We are fcukin lucky to be able to choose from Aguero, Negredo, Dzeko and ( when fit) Jovetic.

Matty said:
samharris said:
Matty said:
I'm not sure I actually know what Dzeko's traits are as a player, other than the scoring of goals (which, as I've mentioned earlier, we also get from Aguero and Negredo). With Aguero and Negredo you can point to the "other things" they do, besides scoring goals. With Dzeko I'm not so sure. I don't expect him to be Aguero II or Negredo II, every player has their own style, and their own strengths and weaknesses. I'd just be intrigued to know what you, as a pro-Dzeko poster, see as the "other things" Dzeko brings?

Ive already said that his traight is as a goalscorer...hes not got the skill do do much else in all honesty..His traight is that on his day he is a lethal goalscorer who scores his fair share..and as a lifelong City fan,anyone who scores regularely for City is deserving of a place in the squad and team.

Then that's where my issue lies. Aguero and Negredo possess the trait of being goalscorers. They also possess other traits, different ones to each other, and therefore add to the team even when they aren't scoring goals. Dzeko possesses the goalscorer trait, but by your own admission, which kind of backs up my own thoughts on this, he doesn't possess any other traits to add to that. So, when he isn't scoring goals, he isn't really adding too much else to the side. My opinion is that Manchester City are blessed with a huge amount of money, and this money means that we can attract some truly exceptional footballers to the club. We could sell Dzeko for something like £15m - £20m (given the cost of buying Negredo I don't think that is unrealistic) and then spend £25m or so on a player who could score 20 or so goals a season AND had other traits to add. If the prospect of spending money was one which City struggled with then, as a third option, a striker who could score you 20 goals wouldn't be a bad one at all. However, as we have the resources to upgrade then you have to ask the question, why should we hold on to a player like Dzeko when we sould bring in a replacement who can add more than him?

The lack of other traits also answers the question "why is Dzeko only 3rd choice and losing game time to Negredo?". The answer is simple, Player A can get you 20 goals a season. Player B can get you 20 goals a season, and works the back line hard, battles the centre half, links up play well with his teammates and holds the ball up well. Which player would you pick?

Which one would I pick?? easy one that..Id pick the player best suited for the game being played and the opposition..
But that choice isnt down to me,its down to the manager...He sees more of the players than we ever will,and in his judgement I trust.

As for the highlighted bit, tell me a 20 goals a season striker who would come knowing they could be 3rd choice?? and if they are good enough push Aguero or Negredo out of their spots,and if they did,would we have unsettled players on the bench??

Its a fine balancing act that seems to have found its place here for the time being..we will not replace Dzeko with anyone better because players better than Dzeko would not accept a role behind Kun or Negredo..

Ive said it before and I will say it again...please name me a striker that will replace Dzeko as our 3rd choice striker??

sir baconface said:
We are fcukin lucky to be able to choose from Aguero, Negredo, Dzeko and ( when fit) Jovetic.

Totally agree with this ... I think it's a shame that Edin's become such a contentious figure amongst certain supporters. Like all footballers he has his strengths and weaknesses and we may well have better strikers than him in our squad but we also are very very blessed to have him at our disposal.

Dzeko is just a pure goal scorer. Doesn't offer much else but over the years it hasn't done similar players any harm (van horse face for example). He'll score a boat load when he's made the focal point of the next team he plays for.

sir baconface said:
Even if we've got better strikers than Dzeko, that doesn't make him a ****. Far from it.

Very true and I agree.

In my opinion, currently, Dzeko's contribution equates to him being 3rd choice. He either has to accept that or up his game, which we all hope he does as it will only benefit the team.

pudge said:
sir baconface said:

Very true and I agree.

In my opinion, currently, Dzeko's contribution equates to him being 3rd choice. He either has to accept that or up his game, which we all hope he does as it will only benefit the team.

He is capable of more. I was hoping that when Negredo came in and performed well that Dzeko would see that as a challenge to raise his game. That is unquestionably the best scenario for us, but if anything I think the opposite has happened.

FWIW when he does go I will recognise the contribution he's made to our success. He's been a very important figure at the club, and for that I will wish him well. But he's annoying the hell out of me at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.