Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
In some games he is unplayable - Spurs Away, QPR away in the Championship winning season , I had hoped had re-discovered that form in the first home game against Newcastle, but no... he's back to normal, Was shocking against Cardiff Away, despite the goal, and when Negredo came on it made a huge difference.

The pattern has been the same for the rest of the season - ie Negredo has looked much more effective. Dzeko had a half against Norwich, sure he took his goal well, but again that was all...

He needs to sort out his first touch, then show some determination, stop falling over all the time, pose a physical threat to center halves and work for the team.

If he showed half the determination and intensity of Negredo, he would be an outstanding player.

I have to agree we are lucky to have him on the books and i hope he stays as he will always score goals,but whether being rotated or coming off the subs bench suits him is another matter.He is unfortunate in that the style we play doesn't really suit him but if like in Germany they play to his strengths he will score 25-30 goals a season no problem.He will always be loved here,despite what his fans think,for all the goals he has contributed to our success.

paulchapo said:
I have to agree we are lucky to have him on the books and i hope he stays as he will always score goals,but whether being rotated or coming off the subs bench suits him is another matter.He is unfortunate in that the style we play doesn't really suit him but if like in Germany they play to his strengths he will score 25-30 goals a season no problem.He will always be loved here,despite what his fans think,for all the goals he has contributed to our success.

Maybe not loved but certainly never forgotten, which is something our Bosnian fans perhaps don't grasp. We can appreciate what he's done for us and still want more, his header in the QPR game will always be remembered. Criticism on here doesn't translate to a lack of support at the ground (apart from when he fannies out of a tackle but that's the same for every player), what we see as his faults are things he could easily remedy, apart from his first touch, and when you've been seeing the same issues for a few years it starts to grate.

pudge said:
Bigga said:
BillyShears said:
A pretty fair assessment of the situation.

I really like Edin ... was a big season for him this one but I think sadly for him in Negredo we've simply signed a superior player who has developed a superior understanding with Kun. Come the summer I suspect Edin will be a Dortmund player, and if he is i for one will wish him all the best.

In the meantime though we have a hell of a lot of football to be played and it'll only take one injury for Edin to become paramount to our chances of winning things. For this reason alone I find it mad how many people are seemingly desperate for us to get rid of him.

You do know that when Edin gets the game time, he will be able to find the rhythm he needs to also contribute to the team's play, this season?Negredo has been given that time to play and learn the pace and intensity of the Prem.

Like I said before, Pellers has decided Al doesn't have the time to drip learn the Prem. It is much the same as Fernandinho's 'sink or swim' development and I think people are misreading Pellers' intentions for the team.

Oh well.
The difference in their playing time is about 70 minutes.

With Dzeko starting more games and Negredo coming off of the bench more times than Edin. So if anything Negredo's time on the pitch has been more 'stop/start'.

Saying Negredo has had the time to adjust and find a rythym unlike Dzeko is not quite true.
I don't agree. I think missing 4 matches entirely is worse for a player than being subbed in more.

samharris said:
Matty said:
samharris said:
Ive already said that his traight is as a goalscorer...hes not got the skill do do much else in all honesty..His traight is that on his day he is a lethal goalscorer who scores his fair share..and as a lifelong City fan,anyone who scores regularely for City is deserving of a place in the squad and team.

Then that's where my issue lies. Aguero and Negredo possess the trait of being goalscorers. They also possess other traits, different ones to each other, and therefore add to the team even when they aren't scoring goals. Dzeko possesses the goalscorer trait, but by your own admission, which kind of backs up my own thoughts on this, he doesn't possess any other traits to add to that. So, when he isn't scoring goals, he isn't really adding too much else to the side. My opinion is that Manchester City are blessed with a huge amount of money, and this money means that we can attract some truly exceptional footballers to the club. We could sell Dzeko for something like £15m - £20m (given the cost of buying Negredo I don't think that is unrealistic) and then spend £25m or so on a player who could score 20 or so goals a season AND had other traits to add. If the prospect of spending money was one which City struggled with then, as a third option, a striker who could score you 20 goals wouldn't be a bad one at all. However, as we have the resources to upgrade then you have to ask the question, why should we hold on to a player like Dzeko when we sould bring in a replacement who can add more than him?

The lack of other traits also answers the question "why is Dzeko only 3rd choice and losing game time to Negredo?". The answer is simple, Player A can get you 20 goals a season. Player B can get you 20 goals a season, and works the back line hard, battles the centre half, links up play well with his teammates and holds the ball up well. Which player would you pick?

Which one would I pick?? easy one that..Id pick the player best suited for the game being played and the opposition..
But that choice isnt down to me,its down to the manager...He sees more of the players than we ever will,and in his judgement I trust.

As for the highlighted bit, tell me a 20 goals a season striker who would come knowing they could be 3rd choice?? and if they are good enough push Aguero or Negredo out of their spots,and if they did,would we have unsettled players on the bench??

Its a fine balancing act that seems to have found its place here for the time being..we will not replace Dzeko with anyone better because players better than Dzeko would not accept a role behind Kun or Negredo..

Ive said it before and I will say it again...please name me a striker that will replace Dzeko as our 3rd choice striker??

I'm not a professional football scout so it's not really within my abilities to list the players I believe could replace Dzeko, I'm mearly stating that there must be a 20 goal a season striker out ther that can do other stuff as well as score. We got Negredo this summer, I refuse to believe he's the only player out there that we could get our hands on. Just off the top of my head, in the Premier League alone you've got Benteke of Villa, and maybe Lukaku (although I doubt Chelsea would sell to us, although having said that I didn't think Mourinho would loan him to Everton so....). Todays papers are saying that Dortmund, rather than let Lewandowski join Munich for free next summer, are offering him around to Premeir League clubs for £7m!!!!! I can't imagine we're not interested at that price. How secure is Benzema at Madrid? He's been used to being rotated with other players over the years. I'm sure there are other players who are on the radar of scouts that I haven't even thuoght of.

Whowever we did bring in would be coming in, not as a 3rd choice, but in a battle to be number 2, or maybe even number 1 depending on who it was. That's what happened with negredo, and we had no issues attracting him. Do you believe he was brought in and told "you'll be 3rd choice", or for that matter "You'll be 2nd choice"? No, I'd suggest he was told he'd need to fight with the other strikers to earn his position, and that's what he's done. The same approach would be taken for whoever we replaced Dzeko with.

Matty said:
samharris said:
Matty said:
Then that's where my issue lies. Aguero and Negredo possess the trait of being goalscorers. They also possess other traits, different ones to each other, and therefore add to the team even when they aren't scoring goals. Dzeko possesses the goalscorer trait, but by your own admission, which kind of backs up my own thoughts on this, he doesn't possess any other traits to add to that. So, when he isn't scoring goals, he isn't really adding too much else to the side. My opinion is that Manchester City are blessed with a huge amount of money, and this money means that we can attract some truly exceptional footballers to the club. We could sell Dzeko for something like £15m - £20m (given the cost of buying Negredo I don't think that is unrealistic) and then spend £25m or so on a player who could score 20 or so goals a season AND had other traits to add. If the prospect of spending money was one which City struggled with then, as a third option, a striker who could score you 20 goals wouldn't be a bad one at all. However, as we have the resources to upgrade then you have to ask the question, why should we hold on to a player like Dzeko when we sould bring in a replacement who can add more than him?

The lack of other traits also answers the question "why is Dzeko only 3rd choice and losing game time to Negredo?". The answer is simple, Player A can get you 20 goals a season. Player B can get you 20 goals a season, and works the back line hard, battles the centre half, links up play well with his teammates and holds the ball up well. Which player would you pick?

Which one would I pick?? easy one that..Id pick the player best suited for the game being played and the opposition..
But that choice isnt down to me,its down to the manager...He sees more of the players than we ever will,and in his judgement I trust.

As for the highlighted bit, tell me a 20 goals a season striker who would come knowing they could be 3rd choice?? and if they are good enough push Aguero or Negredo out of their spots,and if they did,would we have unsettled players on the bench??

Its a fine balancing act that seems to have found its place here for the time being..we will not replace Dzeko with anyone better because players better than Dzeko would not accept a role behind Kun or Negredo..

Ive said it before and I will say it again...please name me a striker that will replace Dzeko as our 3rd choice striker??

I'm not a professional football scout so it's not really within my abilities to list the players I believe could replace Dzeko, I'm mearly stating that there must be a 20 goal a season striker out ther that can do other stuff as well as score. We got Negredo this summer, I refuse to believe he's the only player out there that we could get our hands on. Just off the top of my head, in the Premier League alone you've got Benteke of Villa, and maybe Lukaku (although I doubt Chelsea would sell to us, although having said that I didn't think Mourinho would loan him to Everton so....). Todays papers are saying that Dortmund, rather than let Lewandowski join Munich for free next summer, are offering him around to Premeir League clubs for £7m!!!!! I can't imagine we're not interested at that price. How secure is Benzema at Madrid? He's been used to being rotated with other players over the years. I'm sure there are other players who are on the radar of scouts that I haven't even thuoght of.

Whowever we did bring in would be coming in, not as a 3rd choice, but in a battle to be number 2, or maybe even number 1 depending on who it was. That's what happened with negredo, and we had no issues attracting him. Do you believe he was brought in and told "you'll be 3rd choice", or for that matter "You'll be 2nd choice"? No, I'd suggest he was told he'd need to fight with the other strikers to earn his position, and that's what he's done. The same approach would be taken for whoever we replaced Dzeko with.

Maybe with Dzeko,what we see is what we get..

noise said:
pudge said:
Bigga said:
You do know that when Edin gets the game time, he will be able to find the rhythm he needs to also contribute to the team's play, this season?Negredo has been given that time to play and learn the pace and intensity of the Prem.

Like I said before, Pellers has decided Al doesn't have the time to drip learn the Prem. It is much the same as Fernandinho's 'sink or swim' development and I think people are misreading Pellers' intentions for the team.

Oh well.

With Dzeko starting more games and Negredo coming off of the bench more times than Edin. So if anything Negredo's time on the pitch has been more 'stop/start'.

Saying Negredo has had the time to adjust and find a rythym unlike Dzeko is not quite true.
I don't agree. I think missing 4 matches entirely is worse for a player than being subbed in more.
Yet he's started more games than Negredo and played just 70 minutes less.

4 full games is 360 minutes, yet he's only 70 mins behind Negredo in playing time...

samharris said:
Matty said:
samharris said:

I'm sure you're right, and for 95% of clubs what you see would be more than good enough. We're in the 5% however. We've got the money to afford the best, we're trying to win titles, looking to win the Champion's League in the not too distant future, what we get from Dzeko isn't quite good enough for where we need to be. The goals are great, the goals are exactly what we're after, but we need more than just that, and Dzeko doesn't give us more. Someone else will, and in my opinion we should be looking for someone else to replace Dzeko (albeit most likely to be in the summer, unless we do manage to somehow get our hands on Lewandowski before then, which is a HUGE long shot).<br /><br />-- Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:48 pm --<br /><br />
pudge said:
noise said:
pudge said:

4 full games is 360 minutes, yet he's only 70 mins behind Negredo in playing time...

I think you're being a little misleading with the facts here. A decent number of Dzeko's starts have been in the 3 Capital One Cup games, where his supporting players haven't been the ones he'd be playing with regularly in the league. Whilst he's getting game time, he's not getting time alongside the likes of Silva, Aguero, Yaya etc in order to develop a decent relationship.

However, having said that, negredo's been here since the summer, Dzeko's been here for nearly 3 years, so he should have already developed decent relationships with his teammates.

pudge said:
noise said:
pudge said:

You've said that already. I am not agreeing on the stop/start point you made.

Before the Newcastle game. vs. Chelsea he didn't play at all. Vs Chelsea, vs. CSKA he played 20 minutes, two games before that he didn't play at all (West Ham and Everton). So in a month before the Newcastle game, Dzeko has played in one match for 20 minutes with City. Negredo has had much more playing consistency than that. He hasn't missed game time in a single game since the season started.

I disagree that he had less "stop/start" as you said.

Matty said:
samharris said:
Matty said:

I'm sure you're right, and for 95% of clubs what you see would be more than good enough. We're in the 5% however. We've got the money to afford the best, we're trying to win titles, looking to win the Champion's League in the not too distant future, what we get from Dzeko isn't quite good enough for where we need to be. The goals are great, the goals are exactly what we're after, but we need more than just that, and Dzeko doesn't give us more. Someone else will, and in my opinion we should be looking for someone else to replace Dzeko (albeit most likely to be in the summer, unless we do manage to somehow get our hands on Lewandowski before then, which is a HUGE long shot).

-- Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:48 pm --

pudge said:
noise said:

I think you're being a little misleading with the facts here. A decent number of Dzeko's starts have been in the 3 Capital One Cup games, where his supporting players haven't been the ones he'd be playing with regularly in the league. Whilst he's getting game time, he's not getting time alongside the likes of Silva, Aguero, Yaya etc in order to develop a decent relationship.

However, having said that, negredo's been here since the summer, Dzeko's been here for nearly 3 years, so he should have already developed decent relationships with his teammates.
4 times this season Negredo's been subbed on at the 75th minute or later in a game.

When that happened to Edin last season, it was because Mancini didn't like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.