Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
ban-mcfc said:
I'm not Bosnian, I'm Mancunian but I find myself defending Edin on twitter against our so called away "fans".

Some of those wankers don't deserve the success we have had.

I back the team 100% and it makes me sick these fuckers stick the boot in, even personally tweeting Edin.

Don't follow Twitter but I'd bet at least 90% of those tweeting have no affiliation with city, just trolls. As for the remaining 10% every club has a small minority of tits (not the good kind).

berniethebusman said:
ban-mcfc said:
I'm not Bosnian, I'm Mancunian but I find myself defending Edin on twitter against our so called away "fans".

Some of those wankers don't deserve the success we have had.

I back the team 100% and it makes me sick these fuckers stick the boot in, even personally tweeting Edin.

Don't follow Twitter but I'd bet at least 90% of those tweeting have no affiliation with city, just trolls. As for the remaining 10% every club has a small minority of tits (not the good kind).

I know for a fact they follow City up and down the country.

That's the worst thing about it, and they are personally tweeting him.

pudge said:
A common debate is that Edin comes on when players like Silva have come off, stunting are overall attacking game.

But if you were to take the hull game as an example, Dzeko and Negredo each played 45 minutes (Edin the first half, Negredo the second). Silva came off on 66 minutes, giving Negredo and he 21 minutes on the pitch together compared to Edin's 45. (Sergio also came off at 75 mins)

Negredo's passing success was 91% compared to Edin's 75%

Dzeko won 2 aerial battles to Negredo's 1.

Negredo managed 3 shots to Edin's 0.

They were both dispossessed twice but Edin gave the ball away (turnover they call it) once whereas Negredo didn't.

They each had one tackle to their name but Negredo had an "effective clearance" as well.

Dzeko was given a 6.1 and Negredo a 7.

With Negredo's current form, as well as Aguero's, it would be hard to drop either. Especially if just to let Dzeko rebuild his confidence, we can't afford any passengers per say. All strikers want to play obviously but it's hard to drop one "in form", again, especially given what people claim can be done in doing so with regards to Edin. I'm sure he'll get more minutes if he continues to work hard and do such things like he showed he can in that Newcastle game.

This is honest debate btw, frustrating that I feel I have to state that.

I can't remember the details of the Hull game, except that it was a forgettable performance by the entire team (probably why I can't recall it...), but I'm perfectly happy to accept the numbers you quote which suggest Negredo played better than Dzeko in that game.

I also don't think we should just play someone to get them back in form to the detriment of the team, like we did for about two years with Robbie Fowler, before he finally started playing well and immediately buggered off back to Liverpool. It worked a bit quicker at the start of this season with Aguero - it seems a long time ago given his amazing recent form, but he didn't exactly start the season with a bang, and there were plenty of comments on here to the effect that Pellegrini should keep playing him despite his poor form.

However, as with the Hart/Pantillimon debate, the dreaded 'd' word changes the debate entirely. It certainly seems unfair to drop Negredo or Aguero (suggesting they've done something wrong or aren't up to the required standard), but it's a lot more reasonable to suggest that we utilize all our attackers a bit more evenly so that (a) they last the whole season in better shape, and (b) one or other of them doesn't get pissed off. You can criticize Dzeko all you want for being a mard-arse, etc., but it's not good management to let your employees get pissed off regardless. Unfortunately, repeated unfair assessments of Dzeko's ability have led to the belief that it would be a disaster to play him. Not just a slight step down from the preferred partnership up front, but a disaster.

I'm of the belief that if we rotated our strikers (yes, even Aguero), there'd be no noticeable difference in our results week-to-week. If Negredo's better, then there might be a slight drop in our probability of winning a game (80% to 75% for example), but that wouldn't be noticeable unless you kept careful stats for the whole season - certainly not on a game by game basis. We weren't crap against Cardiff because of Dzeko, or against Hull or Bayern or Stoke. And if he plays on Sunday and we lose, he won't be the reason we lose. Even if he misses a sitter in the last minute, the question would have to be asked why the game was decided by a sitter in the last minute - that would show a collectively poor performance once again. If you want to play your 'best' team against the hardest opponents, fair enough (although it still doesn't guarantee success - look at the Chelsea game), but to freeze a guy out from games against Everton and West Ham looks a bit harsh and unnecessary to me. It's a long, hard season with (hopefully) 60 or more games for us, so it seems a little ill-advised not to use all your resources - after all, if Aguero or Negredo gets injured from overplaying, how would everyone fancy having to play Dzeko 90 minutes every game...?

Sorry if this has been posted but really :( if he goes ...

Edin Dzeko has revealed his desire to play more for the club this season.

Dzeko has not started a Premier League game for City since late September, while the form of fellow strikers Sergio Aguero and Alvaro Negredo has seen the battle for starting places become more competitive than ever.

And the Bosnia striker admitted substitute appearances in the Premier League, coupled with occasional run-outs in the Champions League and Capital One Cup, were not enough to feed his appetite to play as much football as possible.

“It could be better on both sides, for me and the team, definitely,” said Dzeko, when asked to assess the season so far.

“There are a lot of players and everyone has to get a chance to play, so maybe that’s why. Who knows?

“But I need to play more than I am. I’ve only started four games in the Premier League. But if you put me in there for 90 minutes, everything is possible.

“The first game of the season I played well, I just didn’t score. The second game I scored, then the manager changed me. I don’t know why.

“Then in the third game he changed me at half-time. Again, I don’t know why. The team played badly in the first-half, for sure, but it’s always on the strikers if it doesn’t go well.

“So I think I could definitely have played more than I have done. It’s difficult because you don’t have a run of games, then you come into the team after maybe four games and sometimes you want to do well, but you can’t do it.

“For three games in the Premier League I didn’t play at all. That never happened last season. I didn’t go three games without any minutes.

“There’s Champions League and Capital One Cup also, but that’s not enough for me.

“It’s important to hear from the manager when you’re not playing. Why are you not playing? What do you have to do better to play? So we’re talking about that.

“For every striker it’s important to play 90 minutes, not 45, then 50, then maybe 15, you know? But I’m still here and I still have 18 months left on my contract. But you never know what can happen in the future.”

Despite being frustrated at not playing as much as he would like, Dzeko said there was no bad feeling towards his fellow strikers.

“It’s competitive but when we play together or when Negredo or Aguero play instead of me, then I wish them the best,” said Dzeko.

“When we play together and I see one of them free to score a goal, I’ll always pass to him. It’s not like ‘I don’t want them to score’. Of course there’s competition and everyone wants to play, but we’re team-mates.

CaliforniaBlue said:
pudge said:
A common debate is that Edin comes on when players like Silva have come off, stunting are overall attacking game.

But if you were to take the hull game as an example, Dzeko and Negredo each played 45 minutes (Edin the first half, Negredo the second). Silva came off on 66 minutes, giving Negredo and he 21 minutes on the pitch together compared to Edin's 45. (Sergio also came off at 75 mins)

Negredo's passing success was 91% compared to Edin's 75%

Dzeko won 2 aerial battles to Negredo's 1.

Negredo managed 3 shots to Edin's 0.

They were both dispossessed twice but Edin gave the ball away (turnover they call it) once whereas Negredo didn't.

They each had one tackle to their name but Negredo had an "effective clearance" as well.

Dzeko was given a 6.1 and Negredo a 7.

With Negredo's current form, as well as Aguero's, it would be hard to drop either. Especially if just to let Dzeko rebuild his confidence, we can't afford any passengers per say. All strikers want to play obviously but it's hard to drop one "in form", again, especially given what people claim can be done in doing so with regards to Edin. I'm sure he'll get more minutes if he continues to work hard and do such things like he showed he can in that Newcastle game.

This is honest debate btw, frustrating that I feel I have to state that.

I can't remember the details of the Hull game, except that it was a forgettable performance by the entire team (probably why I can't recall it...), but I'm perfectly happy to accept the numbers you quote which suggest Negredo played better than Dzeko in that game.

I also don't think we should just play someone to get them back in form to the detriment of the team, like we did for about two years with Robbie Fowler, before he finally started playing well and immediately buggered off back to Liverpool. It worked a bit quicker at the start of this season with Aguero - it seems a long time ago given his amazing recent form, but he didn't exactly start the season with a bang, and there were plenty of comments on here to the effect that Pellegrini should keep playing him despite his poor form.

However, as with the Hart/Pantillimon debate, the dreaded 'd' word changes the debate entirely. It certainly seems unfair to drop Negredo or Aguero (suggesting they've done something wrong or aren't up to the required standard), but it's a lot more reasonable to suggest that we utilize all our attackers a bit more evenly so that (a) they last the whole season in better shape, and (b) one or other of them doesn't get pissed off. You can criticize Dzeko all you want for being a mard-arse, etc., but it's not good management to let your employees get pissed off regardless. Unfortunately, repeated unfair assessments of Dzeko's ability have led to the belief that it would be a disaster to play him. Not just a slight step down from the preferred partnership up front, but a disaster.

I'm of the belief that if we rotated our strikers (yes, even Aguero), there'd be no noticeable difference in our results week-to-week. If Negredo's better, then there might be a slight drop in our probability of winning a game (80% to 75% for example), but that wouldn't be noticeable unless you kept careful stats for the whole season - certainly not on a game by game basis. We weren't crap against Cardiff because of Dzeko, or against Hull or Bayern or Stoke. And if he plays on Sunday and we lose, he won't be the reason we lose. Even if he misses a sitter in the last minute, the question would have to be asked why the game was decided by a sitter in the last minute - that would show a collectively poor performance once again. If you want to play your 'best' team against the hardest opponents, fair enough (although it still doesn't guarantee success - look at the Chelsea game), but to freeze a guy out from games against Everton and West Ham looks a bit harsh and unnecessary to me. It's a long, hard season with (hopefully) 60 or more games for us, so it seems a little ill-advised not to use all your resources - after all, if Aguero or Negredo gets injured from overplaying, how would everyone fancy having to play Dzeko 90 minutes every game...?
That's just it.

There will be, hopefully, around 60 games for us this season and we're only about a quarter of the way through. At this stage Negredo and Dzeko's minutes aren't entirely lopsided, although they have been skewed in recent matches but that's simply down to Negredo's form. I think the difference is less than the equivalent of 2 full matches. Edin has started more often but has been left as an unused some more often as well.

Negredo, and Aguero, will go through lean spells like everyone and everyone accepts that but the difference some feel would be what they then offer the team if not goals. Sergio's atop both the goal-scoring and assists tables so that speaks for itself, whilst Negredo has 4 assists and Edin 2.

But Edin will get game time, it's only logical. Factor in Jovetic is to come back then rotation will really kick in through both necessity and tactics.

As is stands, so far this season Negredo and Dzeko's contributions lead to them being 2nd and 3rd choice respectively. It's down to Dzeko to now take his chance when it's presented to him, yet given Negredo and Aguero's form both individually and together he might have to wait or accept the cup role for now. So patience and consistency is key for him, continue to contribute like he did at Newcastle and he'll find himself back in the team. However, one good performance, depending on how you look at it of course lol, won't sway the managers mind. Negredo didn't earn his first league start until 4 games into the season, having scored 2 goals before then.

He has to show as much patience as Pellegrini does faith in him. He got 16 starts in the league last year when people felt he was being shafted and under used, he'll finish with more this year imo. You can only truly see if a player was underused or 'disrespected' at the end of the season, or at least not November.

Although I feel he will start on Sunday due to the recent schedule and playing time of both strikers I wouldn't wish to start him away from home against a 'bogey team'. I'd say Spurs at home is a more likely option.

Again, he has to show patience as the club won't serve his needs but the teams. I'm sure that if he comes on and out performs the likes of Negredo like the latter did to him earlier in the season, then he'll deserve his place in the team and no one will begrudge him starting from then on; because he'll have earned it.

I do feel however that the timing of Edin's comments aren't the best, Aguero and Negredo are in great form both individually and as a partnership so there's not much Pellegrini can do, you don't fix what isn't broken. But at some stage in this long, long season it will break, it's then up to Edin to take his chance.

Aguero wasn't great at the start due to him not having a pre season & to be fair I think your comparison to Fowler is terrible totally different circumstances.

Rotation is great in theory but often over hyped it has it's merits but no one will ever be able to convince me It's beneficial to rotate players that are bang in form,.

Edin Dzeko hasn't been given a proper chance to prove himself since he started to play for City. And when I say proper chance I mean for him to play at least 10 games in a row from the start. Simple as that. That is how you treat somebody when you want to give him a chance, and if he proves to be a disaster then you get rid of him. And by the way I'm Bosnian and I'm a Dzeko fan.

No offence to the real City fans, I respect your opinion but I believe there is too many trolls on this forum. Sorry about my english...

By the way never liked United and Blue is my favourite colour...

a.k. said:
Edin Dzeko hasn't been given a proper chance to prove himself since he started to play for City. And when I say proper chance I mean for him to play at least 10 games in a row from the start. Simple as that. That is how you treat somebody when you want to give him a chance, and if he proves to be a disaster then you get rid of him. And by the way I'm Bosnian and I'm a Dzeko fan.

No offence to the real City fans, I respect your opinion but I believe there is too many trolls on this forum. Sorry about my english...

The problem with giving someone 10 games in a row, is that its wasteful. You cant give that much time to a player who isnt producing. Especially when a player comes in for him and is an impact player almost immediately.

Im not the biggest Dzeko fan in the world...but i think he just hasn't made due with the time he's gotten. We've got other strikers who are simply better. That doesn't make him a bad player though.

Simon Mullock tweeted me saying Dzeko for the time being will only get games to give the Beauty and the Beast combo a breather, so I'd expect Dzeko to be starting against Sunderland.

Jutt said:
a.k. said:

The problem with giving someone 10 games in a row, is that its wasteful. You cant give that much time to a player who isnt producing. Especially when a player comes in for him and is an impact player almost immediately.

Im not the biggest Dzeko fan in the world...but i think he just hasn't made due with the time he's gotten. We've got other strikers who are simply better. That doesn't make him a bad player though.
I agree that is wasteful if the player is not performing. But I don't think Dzeko wasn't performing in the first two matches. To tell a player, that you're counting on him as a main striker in order to lock him in for another season and then sub him out two games in, after he played well, is unfair. I would be pissed off if I were Dzeko, who's waited 3 seasons for a real chance at becoming a starter.

I like Negredo and he deserves to start, but I think Dzeko deserved a chance he was promised based on seniority as well as on the account of scoring many important goals for this club. And also because Pellegrini publicly stated that he looked at Dzeko as the main striker.

I think Dzeko would have been happy to leave in the last transfer window, but if that mirror interview is true, it seems he was mislead to believe he would have a real shot at being a starter, and he wasn't given the chance.

How would anyone feel if a boss told them to stay one more year with the company and in return promised them a promotion and then they find out the boss really had no intention of promoting them in the first place, because he gave the position to his homie. With a real job you can usually quit at any time, a footballer is stuck.

Yeah footballers make much more money, but their shelf life is also very limited and their form is fleeting, especially when they aren't playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.