England vs Poland | Weds 31st March

Lets he honest for the City players , having to play with some of the players in the England team is a step down in quality they are used to.

Phillips and Pope are a massive drop in quality from Ederson and any of our midfield players , and the manager is a fucking dinosaur compared to Pep.

They must wonder what they have let themselves in for .

I was surprised Stones got caught out by that. It wasn't a great pass but he had time to fix it. To be honest, there was no one ahead of him waiting for a pass - if that was City, I guarantee there would be a nice simple pass for Rodri on who would take it and move the ball on. That's the difference for me between England and City. Well, of course, the fact Ederson would've pinged a 50 yard ball straight into Bernardo's feet and by-passed Stones! :)

I don't understand this trying to play a back 3 either. We simply don't have the players to do it. We should ALWAYS play a back 4 as that what we know best. Walker/TAA, Stones, Maguire, Shaw is s decent back 4. They know their positions. I don't mind them messing about in midfield as much.

I honestly think we've a good chance of winning something with the players we've got coming through, but with the attacking options we have, something has to give. Playing Henderson and Rice is too negative for me and I don't see either as being able to pick up a pass from Stones/Maguire, turn and release players when we're up against a good team. We should think about trying Foden or Grealish in centre mid.

This is a very unpopular opinion... and I am a hypocrite as I don't like the snidy f**ker, but Kane is a superb footballer. The more I see of him, the more I think Pep would make him into a world class player. He's got everything we need - intelligence, movement, creativity, links up play, height and can finish. He needs Pep and I think if the money is right he might be the perfect Aguero replacement. Of course, if he doesn't come I will resume my dislike of him and he would be an awful Aguero replacement :)

He's obviously a good player and its not ideal to base on 1 game but dont see what Kane (with the huge price tag) would bring to us on this performance

Anyone else think that might have been a pen in the PL on Foden?

Mount was good but I think this game could have used Grealish and Foden in combo, they were happy to leave Mount free at times but they wouldn't be able to do that with Grealish.

That backheader from Stones for the winner was actually a phenomenal piece of footballing skill and will do his confidence the world of good.
Looking at the highlights of the other games there were mega errors from the Austrian and Spanish keepers, a Georgian defender's terrible own goal, and embarrassing misses for Immobile for Italy and Havard for Germany ( which resulted in a defeat to N.Macedonia !).
It happens and obviously criticism has to be taken but two interviews with Southgate and Maguire and six questions out of eight on John Stones's error AND footballing character are a disgrace.

Pope is so much worse than I expected with the ball. Just awful.

Revised starting XI for the Euros:

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Foden Henderson Mount
Sterling Kane Grealish
In my opinion Rice - Phillips > Foden-Henderson-Mount for tougher games, but that's just my opinion. I would definitely drop Pope if Southgate persists in playing from the back, because all problems start with that. I am actually quite shocked how poor he is at that, but hey it is not his game. I would also switch Sterling and Foden left and right, or even drop Foden for Grealish, I just think Foden is wasted playing 'somewhere' on the right with no linkage with other players. Or something out of left field, play 4-2-3-1 without Kane, because he gives so much to England, but sometimes takes even more.

Pickford
Walker-Stones-Maguire-Shaw
Phillips-Rice
Mount-Foden-Grealish
Sterling.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.