Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

The atmosphere yesterday was shit, of course not helped by the factors others have mentioned. But the main factor is we turn up knowing it will take a fluke for us not to win. It’s expected, we turn up, we win ( most of the time!).

I guess if we go on a long run of shit results we would be chomping at the bit. Look at the gang from Trafford, they celebrate beating anyone like a World Cup win! Go back to the days when everything and I mean everything was tilted in their favour and it was the same for their fans, turn up, watch a win, go home.

another factor is our possession based football, we unlock massed defences through patience, the days when we could break at speed and score lots of exciting goals seem fewer and far between.

anyway, happy new year !

Cant get my head around the expanding long list of excuses on this thread.

The latest additions blame the ref, corporate seats, expensive tickets etc.

Bizarrely one post was blaming the cost of tickets for the Spurs game for the crap atmosphere yesterday !!!! Genius

One post blamed no singing section ??? Can somebody please explain to me what happened to the 1894 singing section in the South Stand which asked people to relocate a few years ago and made no difference to the atmosphere.

The problem is 45000+ sit in silence every week. You could close down every corporate section, make tickets a £1 and have Pier Luigi Collina reffing every week and it won’t get the mute 45000 to make a noise.
It would appear you have missed the point with regards to the complaint of ticket prices for the Spurs game (deliberately or otherwise I’m not sure). It is one example of an upcoming game used to illustrate a wider point that the club are pricing out local working class and young supporters from attending. Whilst this continues there is no point in having a discussion around atmosphere because it won’t change.

How are corporate seating and pricing an excuse? If you make more of the ground corporate and price out fans, that leads to less atmosphere. Do you honestly think doesn’t make a difference .

If you had a large home end with affordable tickets it would make a huge difference in my opinion.

Of course more people need to join in - I agree on that, but the club haven’t helped and pricing and corporate are two very legitimate reasons.
Are you seriously blaming 3000 corporate seats for the shit atmosphere - and not the 47000 mute non corporate seats ??

And I’d love to know how reducing prices would make a difference. The same people that buy tickets now would be buying the tickets for the lesser amounts. The idea that those attending now would be replaced by thousands of priced out lapsed supporters that bring an atmosphere is fantasy.

Are people seriously still complaining that the Etihad isn't turned into a singing section when the game has been sanitised to death and the demographic of match goers is changing week on week?

This isn't the 60's 70's or 80's that atmosphere has left the building, unless we employ ultra like drum thrashers and go all continental the vocal support is going to be sporadic at best.

That’s the spirit mate!

Blame all us in 1894 (the only people proactively doing anything), nice on
I’ve no issue with 1894 and fair play for doing what you do.
My comment was a response to people saying they need a singing section when I thought the South Stand had a relocation to a singing section when then 3rd tier was built.

FWIW, 1894 have been getting complained about by fans (I says fans, but we think it is one person - if anyone at all) in the wheelchair bays at the back of 115, so we are having quite a lot of hassle from stewards threatening to eject us for ‘being too rowdy’ (singing).

Rather than help move the one unhappy fan out of the singing section…
That's pathetic. Why would you chose to sit in a singing section then complain about the singing??? Baffles me. Also those stewards can fuck right off, since when was singing 'too rowdy'.

Just turned the spurs game on, they were trailing 1-0 and all you can hear are villa fans. We are no different to anyone else.

Cant get my head around the expanding long list of excuses on this thread.

The latest additions blame the ref, corporate seats, expensive tickets etc.

Bizarrely one post was blaming the cost of tickets for the Spurs game for the crap atmosphere yesterday !!!! Genius

One post blamed no singing section ??? Can somebody please explain to me what happened to the 1894 singing section in the South Stand which asked people to relocate a few years ago and made no difference to the atmosphere.

The problem is 45000+ sit in silence every week. You could close down every corporate section, make tickets a £1 and have Pier Luigi Collina reffing every week and it won’t get the mute 45000 to make a noise.

It’s not and has never been the ‘1894 singing section’. It’s block 115.

The club organised and implemented the new singing section in block 115.

Fans were offered the opportunity by the club to move to and to take up available seats in 115. Note: Available seats.

A mixture of fans did this. Clearly not all singers, even though the club tried to frame it as a (new) singing section. Not properly and successfully enough in my opinion.

SSL1 will always have a mixture of singers, fans who sing occasionally, and fans who don’t and won’t sing at all. The club will never change that mixture due to the volume of season ticket holders and match tickets sales in 115.

Yesterday.

I normally stand at the back of 115. I just sing. I’m not rowdy. I don’t cause any trouble or hassle for the people at the back of the stand. I have always been able to and allowed to stand up there starting songs off and joining in with songs. For the 1st time yesterday I was told to go to my normal seat by a steward. I know the steward. He’s ok. I’m not going to slag him off. He is doing his job. Yes, I have a seat elsewhere in the stand. I get on with the people I stand next to. But it’s not a part of the South stand where I can start a chant. The singing around there is very hit and miss at best of times. There used to be quite a few 1894 singers and singers in general at the back who would start and join in with songs, creating the noise and volume that would spread the songs across the South stand. Yes, it did get a bit rowdy at times. There were only 2 1894 lads up there yesterday. 1 singer, who shall remain nameless. I’m not going to slag him off because 1, I get in with him, 2, he tries his best to get the chants going, which he does. Unfortunately it’s the same chants every match.

For whatever reason, which Manchester 33 has touched upon, the club has decided to move singers from the back of 115. Which means that core of singers that were up there are now dispersed across other parts of 115 and the South stand.

Last edited:
Embarrassing atmosphere again. Haaland trying to get the crowd up. Gone are the magic days in the Kippax when it wasn’t an effort to sing but a joy. It’s very flat most of the time unfortunately. I used to get the songs going go back in the day. I’d start then 50 odd voices would join in immediately then it would go straight into thousands of voices in unison. I can’t get my head around why folk don’t join in. It’s weird. If a guy started singing next to me back in the day.. Id help it carry and jump on it straight away. That’s how we did atmosphere back then it’s so easy
It is weird. But it’s not even about just singing. Singing is only a small part of an atmosphere, the major part of an atmosphere is when fans give it all the ‘GO ON’s, ‘COME ON’s, ‘FUCK OFF’s, ‘YYYEEESSS!’s ‘BOOOOO!’s and ‘AAAAAAHHHH’s.

Yesterday - similarly against Brentford - it was 1-1 late in both games and City were shit and sort of trying to get a winner but playing very slowly and negatively for us, constantly going backwards… but while half a dozen of us were giving it the ‘COME ON CITY, WE NEED TO WIN THIS!’ and just getting on our feet and clapping while bellowing ‘COOOOOOOOOME OOOOOOOOOOOOON’ every time a fresh attack looked like starting… hundreds of people around us were just sat there, utterly emotionless. They weren’t contributing anything to get behind the team whatsoever.

Most of our songs are player songs or celebratory songs or songs that take the piss out of ourselves and aren’t the kind of songs that would get the whole stadium singing to get the team going when we aren’t playing well or aren’t winning, so we kind of struggle in terms of songs in games like yesterday as we lack proper City songs… but there’s no excuse for not joining in with the general atmosphere and the peaks and troughs of the game.

If you thought the atmosphere was bad yesterday at the Etihad, you should have watched the Spurs v Villa match at the new Spurs stadium, followed by loud boos at full-time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.