Etihad Atmosphere - 2022/23

Again, you can say it's a problem with the English or not, but my Dad has been going to the football since the 1970s. I've been going since the early 1990s. Our matchday routine is different to a club setup four years ago that doesn't have a culture to speak of. We can call it a big problem or not, but ultimately the premier league is the most popular football league in the world. And more importantly, I promise you, with every ounce of my being, a capo would get stick for 90 minutes. You're not going to convince 10k City fans to adopt a completely new style of football spectating.
Only been watching since the 60s, but I agree.

City & atmosphere has become a meme born of jealousy. I’ve had goosebumps so many times, it’s not even funny, and even been brought to tears inside the stadium. I don’t need a capo or a drum to help me enjoy being a City fan, and City fans don’t need a capo to generate noise.

We are City. We do it OUR WAY.

Here lies the problem with English football, we are English so we are not allowed to have ultras in the game, you may have the most competitive league in the world but the atmosphere really needs to be looked at, Rangers and Celtic both have ultras and they help create an atmosphere at games. There are capo stands at Celtic Park for the Green Brigade who help generate a lot of noise at Celtic Park and you just need to ask a lot of teams throughout the world where the best atmosphere and most of them will say, Celtic Park. Manchester City has 1894 but as a club needs to bring in new ideas to improve the atmosphere Pep has been quoted about this so many times about this. Please watch this video where a team set up in 2018 has a new stadium and they advise that the safe-standing section copy of the Dortmund Yellow Wall has been the best thing the club has ever done for the fans, so there is no argument saying you are too late to import it. Regarding football culture, you really need to move with the times the European teams and also MLS and Scottish teams have moved their culture by having ultra fans and doing marches before games etc with drums banging and smoke canisters going off.

To be honest if the atmosphere needs looking at its to bring more sporadic chanting to the stadium, in response to events on the pitch, rather than the monotonous sound you hear at a lot of european matches, regardless of where the ball is, whats the score, or how the team is playing.

Some clubs can pull it off, often the Italians, just because their songs are beautifully sung and with a bit of theatre about them but a lot of other clubs its just monotonous. I love going to football to experience the organic development of an atmosphere, in response to events on the pitch, importance of the match etc. not just the same background sound week after week.

To be honest if the atmosphere needs looking at its to bring more sporadic chanting to the stadium, in response to events on the pitch, rather than the monotonous sound you hear at a lot of european matches, regardless of where the ball is, whats the score, or how the team is playing.

Some clubs can pull it off, often the Italians, just because their songs are beautifully sung and with a bit of theatre about them but a lot of other clubs its just monotonous. I love going to football to experience the organic development of an atmosphere, in response to events on the pitch, importance of the match etc. not just the same background sound week after week.
Very true. The crowd should ebb and flow with wants going on the pitch. Our current issue is that we’re so good and possession is so high it’s becoming routine most weeks. Obviously there’s a few exceptions like the derby and the dippers but on the whole the crowd sit back and wait for the goals to flow. Having ultras would be annoying as fuck.

Again, you can say it's a problem with the English or not, but my Dad has been going to the football since the 1970s. I've been going since the early 1990s. Our matchday routine is different to a club setup four years ago that doesn't have a culture to speak of. We can call it a big problem or not, but ultimately the premier league is the most popular football league in the world. And more importantly, I promise you, with every ounce of my being, a capo would get stick for 90 minutes. You're not going to convince 10k City fans to adopt a completely new style of football spectating.
Here is the solution you redevelop the North Stand into a bottom tier featuring all safe standing(ultra section) and the top tier into the cheapest area in the ground so attracting younger fans with a capo stand at the front for everyone else can have their normal seats in other stands

Please watch this video about Orlando and how they do it

Here is the solution you redevelop the North Stand into a bottom tier featuring all safe standing(ultra section) and the top tier into the cheapest area in the ground so attracting younger fans with a capo stand at the front for everyone else can have their normal seats in other stands

How about you go and jump? We don't want it, a lot of Americans don't understand when something is cheesy as fuck. Sometimes we're quiet because the football we play is a level above and I'm quite happy to just stand there and watch it. When it's a contest we're more vocal

The fact that so many people are saying drums should be banned (rather than us just making more noise than the drum) epitomises just how football fans have changed.

'I don't want loud sounds ruining my expensive match viewing experience, I want to turn up late, miss either side of half time at the bar, sit here in relative silence, and then leave 10 minutes early, because that's my right as a fan, it's my money and I'll do as I please'

OK that's a purposely extreme example made to make my point. However the fact is, whilst we may not need ultras with drums and flares, we do need better support in many home games. The Copenhagen game was a disgrace of a performance from city fans, all the home fans could have left early (and huge swathes did) and the atmosphere would have been no different.

Everyone will have their opinion on the subject, from "it is what it is" to "I can do what I want" to "people who complain about it are pricks" to "I'm not part of the problem".

The facts are though that players consistently say that great atmospheres help the team play better, we want our team to play even better and win everything (and complain when they dont), we can help them play better by creating a better atmosphere.

Surely, all excuses aside it's a no brainer.

Here lies the problem with English football, we are English so we are not allowed to have ultras in the game, you may have the most competitive league in the world but the atmosphere really needs to be looked at, Rangers and Celtic both have ultras and they help create an atmosphere at games. There are capo stands at Celtic Park for the Green Brigade who help generate a lot of noise at Celtic Park and you just need to ask a lot of teams throughout the world where the best atmosphere and most of them will say, Celtic Park. Manchester City has 1894 but as a club needs to bring in new ideas to improve the atmosphere Pep has been quoted about this so many times about this. Please watch this video where a team set up in 2018 has a new stadium and they advise that the safe-standing section copy of the Dortmund Yellow Wall has been the best thing the club has ever done for the fans, so there is no argument saying you are too late to import it. Regarding football culture, you really need to move with the times the European teams and also MLS and Scottish teams have moved their culture by having ultra fans and doing marches before games etc with drums banging and smoke canisters going off.

We’ve got our own culture, we don’t want to change. We don’t need to move with anything, and that’s that. Our best atmospheres shit all over this.

The fact that so many people are saying drums should be banned (rather than us just making more noise than the drum) epitomises just how football fans have changed.

'I don't want loud sounds ruining my expensive match viewing experience, I want to turn up late, miss either side of half time at the bar, sit here in relative silence, and then leave 10 minutes early, because that's my right as a fan, it's my money and I'll do as I please'

OK that's a purposely extreme example made to make my point. However the fact is, whilst we may not need ultras with drums and flares, we do need better support in many home games. The Copenhagen game was a disgrace of a performance from city fans, all the home fans could have left early (and huge swathes did) and the atmosphere would have been no different.

Everyone will have their opinion on the subject, from "it is what it is" to "I can do what I want" to "people who complain about it are pricks" to "I'm not part of the problem".

The facts are though that players consistently say that great atmospheres help the team play better, we want our team to play even better and win everything (and complain when they dont), we can help them play better by creating a better atmosphere.

Surely, all excuses aside it's a no brainer.
We don’t have a problem with our atmosphere.

There’s absolutely nothing special about the atmosphere in that stadium whatsoever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.