Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

To be fair, these pages have a life of their own sometimes. First time I had seen it…
Mostly in here

IMG_9918.jpegIMG_7397.pngIMG_8844.jpeg

I'm not aware there is an option (but that doesn't mean there isn't one). However I recall that soon after the takeover, they looked at buying it as part of building an entirely new stadium, either on what's now the North car park, or the CFA. My understanding is that it didn't come to fruition because of legal issues around the Etihad covenants.
I believe that after the 2002 games the stadium was pledged to the City Council with Sports England retaining ownership for 25 years after which the stadium was gifted to the Council. If that's the case then after 2028 if we buy the stadium all the proceed go to the council.

Has anyone got the proposed massing plan for the Collar site?

I think Lexstar posted it originally.

I think it was from the North stand expansion planning application.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I remember reading a story about Manchester started building an underground system from Victoria to Piccadilly I think in the 60s, I wonder if that still exists might be what they build on.
It was about linking trains between Victoria and Piccadilly stations through an underground line. I don't think it went beyond being a proposal with plans and never started.

it was stopped after initally starting on it.

Theres a loco buried underneath the Arndale

Reactions: BMR
I'm not aware there is an option (but that doesn't mean there isn't one). However I recall that soon after the takeover, they looked at buying it as part of building an entirely new stadium, either on what's now the North car park, or the CFA. My understanding is that it didn't come to fruition because of legal issues around the Etihad covenants.

I attended a meeting of the Westminster branch of the OSC in January 2003 at Portcullis House, just next to the Houses of Parliament. David Bernstein was the guest, around six weeks before he quit as chairman, and he addressed an audience of maybe fifty or sixty Blues for the best part of three hours.

The forthcoming move to CoMS, as it was then known, was one of the major topics of the evening and he dwelled on it at length. He expressly stated that City's lease for the stadium gives the club an option to purchase the freehold at a price against which the rent paid up to that point will be set off.

He expressed the view that it was unlikely to be viable to exercise the option for 20 or 30 years after the club first occupied the stadium. Of course, ADUG's takeover rather changed that landscape. However, as has been stated by a number of sources, ADUG won't take the freehold as the purchase price in this event would be payable to Sport England.

Finally, and this is from an impeccable source whose reliability no one on here would question for even a second*, the idea of building a brand new stadium was developed in some detail, with the North Car Park selected as the site. The sticking point was that City wanted to demolish the current stadium when the new one was built.

That would have required Sport England's consent, and they wouldn't give it. Efforts were made to see if a sub-tenant could be found, perhaps Sale RU, the RFL, or even UK Athletics if we could remove the bottom tier of seats and squeeze a track back in. For whatever reasons, none of those were really viable, and in any case City weren't keen as having two large stadia on site would have inhibited other plans for the wider campus.

* - People can believe this or not, but it's true. For 3 or 4 years after the takeover, I used to receive information from two excellent sources about the development of the stadium and the environs. One had connections right at the top of the club and one was an external professional adviser. Both eventually moved on to further their careers and my information dried up.

I attended a meeting of the Westminster branch of the OSC in January 2003 at Portcullis House, just next to the Houses of Parliament. David Bernstein was the guest, around six weeks before he quit as chairman, and he addressed an audience of maybe fifty or sixty Blues for the best part of three hours.

The forthcoming move to CoMS, as it was then known, was one of the major topics of the evening and he dwelled on it at length. He expressly stated that City's lease for the stadium gives the club an option to purchase the freehold at a price against which the rent paid up to that point will be set off.

He expressed the view that it was unlikely to be viable to exercise the option for 20 or 30 years after the club first occupied the stadium. Of course, ADUG's takeover rather changed that landscape. However, as has been stated by a number of sources, ADUG won't take the freehold as the purchase price in this event would be payable to Sport England.

Finally, and this is from an impeccable source whose reliability no one on here would question for even a second*, the idea of building a brand new stadium was developed in some detail, with the North Car Park selected as the site. The sticking point was that City wanted to demolish the current stadium when the new one was built.

That would have required Sport England's consent, and they wouldn't give it. Efforts were made to see if a sub-tenant could be found, perhaps Sale RU, the RFL, or even UK Athletics if we could remove the bottom tier of seats and squeeze a track back in. For whatever reasons, none of those were really viable, and in any case City weren't keen as having two large stadia on site would have inhibited other plans for the wider campus.

* - People can believe this or not, but it's true. For 3 or 4 years after the takeover, I used to receive information from two excellent sources about the development of the stadium and the environs. One had connections right at the top of the club and one was an external professional adviser. Both eventually moved on to further their careers and my information dried up.
Thanks Peter. I can 100% support your claim about the development of a new stadium, and I've posted about this before. The North Car Park was definitely one of the proposed sites (with up to 85k seats iirc) but there was also a proposal to build a mega-stadium (100k capacity) on the site of what's now the CFA.

I was told that the owner didn't think the Etihad, which was just 5 years old at the time of the takeover, was of sufficient quality. David Bernstein has said (and he said it when Dave & me interviewed him for KOTK) that the Etihad was a crucial factor in the ADUG takeover. I told him it wasn't but I don't think he believed me. But it's true that ADUG saw the Etihad as disposable.

I was told that when the architect they engaged to do the proofs of concept asked about the budget, he was told that the budget for the bigger stadium was whatever was needed to make people's jaws drop open when they saw it!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.