Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Thanks Peter. I can 100% support your claim about the development of a new stadium, and I've posted about this before. The North Car Park was definitely one of the proposed sites (with up to 85k seats iirc) but there was also a proposal to build a mega-stadium (100k capacity) on the site of what's now the CFA.

I was told that the owner didn't think the Etihad, which was just 5 years old at the time of the takeover, was of sufficient quality. David Bernstein has said (and he said it when Dave & me interviewed him for KOTK) that the Etihad was a crucial factor in the ADUG takeover. I told him it wasn't but I don't think he believed me. But it's true that ADUG saw the Etihad as disposable.

I was told that when the architect they engaged to do the proofs of concept asked about the budget, he was told that the budget for the bigger stadium was whatever was needed to make people's jaws drop open when they saw it!

I think you're right about the stadium. If ADUG had decided, for example, that Everton represented a better long-term bet for their investment, I doubt that Mansour would have been swayed by the fact that City had a more or less new stadium at the time while Everton would have needed to build one as a matter of priority. As it was, City ticked more boxes than Everton even disregarding the issue of them needing a new ground.

The fact that there was land available for development around City's stadium, both within the framework of the club's requirements and outside it with the opportunity for nearby housing development, was definitely regarded as a plus. However, that was very much a bonus rather than a requirement of ADUG's for a deal to be done. They hadn't foreseen it when formulating their original intentions.

I know that money was no object in terms of the plans they were putting together in the early days. The original intention was to spend big on the collar site to attract partners and have a significant destination, as described in public documents from 2009 onwards, up and running a decade or more before now. Unfortunately, that was nixed by political changes in the UAE circa 2012, when it was decided that what might be regarded as vanity projects abroad weren't in the interests of Emiratis and overseas projects implemented using UAE funds should operate on a commercial basis.

Through the days of economic uncertainty caused by austerity, Brexit, Covid and war, no partner came forward with realistic proposals for a venture on land adjacent to the ground until Oak View advanced the idea for what would become Co-Op Live. Under the plans being advanced at the outset, where there'd have been significantly more largesse from ADUG and attracting major partners thus probably wouldn't have been much of a problem.

The political requirement from the UAE for this investment to be seen to offer value in commercial terms is also the reason that a lot of people find the architecture in ADUG projects rather underwhelming. They were at first prepared to contemplate building a new stadium at whatever cost it took to ensure that it was considered breathtaking. This consideration no longer applies to the developments we're now seeing.

I think you're right about the stadium. If ADUG had decided, for example, that Everton represented a better long-term bet for their investment, I doubt that Mansour would have been swayed by the fact that City had a more or less new stadium at the time while Everton would have needed to build one as a matter of priority. As it was, City ticked more boxes than Everton even disregarding the issue of them needing a new ground.

The fact that there was land available for development around City's stadium, both within the framework of the club's requirements and outside it with the opportunity for nearby housing development, was definitely regarded as a plus. However, that was very much a bonus rather than a requirement of ADUG's for a deal to be done. They hadn't foreseen it when formulating their original intentions.

I know that money was no object in terms of the plans they were putting together in the early days. The original intention was to spend big on the collar site to attract partners and have a significant destination, as described in public documents from 2009 onwards, up and running a decade or more before now. Unfortunately, that was nixed by political changes in the UAE circa 2012, when it was decided that what might be regarded as vanity projects abroad weren't in the interests of Emiratis and overseas projects implemented using UAE funds should operate on a commercial basis.

Through the days of economic uncertainty caused by austerity, Brexit, Covid and war, no partner came forward with realistic proposals for a venture on land adjacent to the ground until Oak View advanced the idea for what would become Co-Op Live. Under the plans being advanced at the outset, where there'd have been significantly more largesse from ADUG and attracting major partners thus probably wouldn't have been much of a problem.

The political requirement from the UAE for this investment to be seen to offer value in commercial terms is also the reason that a lot of people find the architecture in ADUG projects rather underwhelming. They were at first prepared to contemplate building a new stadium at whatever cost it took to ensure that it was considered breathtaking. This consideration no longer applies to the developments we're now seeing.

Petrusha.

PM sent.

Request. :-)

Reactions: jrb

Thanks, but no.

It’s a coloured diagram of the Collar site showing flat massing buildings with numbers next to them, but with the descriptions of the buildings omitted. A basic vision of what the Collar site could look like without describing what the buildings are.

Posted by mcr guy on SSC - MCR

From the design and statement document.

He doesn’t state what the numbers relate to. Will need to find out.

Note the trees around the East stand. 3 trees that have recently been planted outside the East stand entrance.

3. A smaller indoor sports arena or an exhibition centre?

FBBF9096-7-BDD-40-EA-991-F-0-A5-E6906-A061.webp
Is this what you are looking for jrb?
Page 1205 on the Campus,Stadium and Collar Site Thread

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.