etihad now a double of old Trafford

I think people should be able to do what they want at the match, they have paid for the seat!

You all know which area is 'loudest', Maine Road was the same, it was the kippax for years and then The North Stand after that.

forevermancity said:
stonerblue said:
uwerosler28 said:
at half time

When most people are at the bar having a laugh/joke/moan/chat with other fans, creating a buzz which could transfer itself to the stands for the 2nd half.

The big screen does bother me though, and i didn't want 'em in the first place. We see fans watching the screens instead of the action on the field. Then the replays get everyone moaning about dodgy decisions. Fuck the massive tellys off and get the scoreboard back.

Tributes before ko are hardly likely to generate a livelier atmosphere for the match and i'd say a lot of supporters don't want that kind of thing, they go to the match to escape real life for a couple of hours.

Not every match is gonna be a rocking hotbed of noise and passion. It never was this way and it never will be.

no it doesnt because they dont show them, so why lie?

It's not a 'lie', a mistake maybe but not a deliberate attempt to invent the truth. I'm sure they showed replays in the last CL game i was at. Maybe i'm getting mixed up and it's replays of the action i'm thinking of. They show that right?

The_mace said:
I found this when I went to the Villa game in November.

First time I'd gone since 2009 (Arsenal game when ade scored that goal)

When we started winning I was expecting a great atmosphere but it was flat and boring.

Can't see what the solution is other than only letting people in who went to York.

Add Swindon at home and you will only need capacity for 500k

stonerblue said:
forevermancity said:
stonerblue said:
When most people are at the bar having a laugh/joke/moan/chat with other fans, creating a buzz which could transfer itself to the stands for the 2nd half.

The big screen does bother me though, and i didn't want 'em in the first place. We see fans watching the screens instead of the action on the field. Then the replays get everyone moaning about dodgy decisions. Fuck the massive tellys off and get the scoreboard back.

Tributes before ko are hardly likely to generate a livelier atmosphere for the match and i'd say a lot of supporters don't want that kind of thing, they go to the match to escape real life for a couple of hours.

Not every match is gonna be a rocking hotbed of noise and passion. It never was this way and it never will be.

no it doesnt because they dont show them, so why lie?

It's not a 'lie', a mistake maybe but not a deliberate attempt to invent the truth. I'm sure they showed replays in the last CL game i was at. Maybe i'm getting mixed up and it's replays of the action i'm thinking of. They show that right?
They only show replays of action if nothing contentious happened in the build up.

The last time something contentious was shown at a PL game, it was a tranny dive for a penalty away at spurs about 5 or 6 years ago and the crowd went mental. Spurs were heavily fined.

Skashion said:
Having an actual standing area would help massively. The key though is that it has to be unreserved so the singers can group together. Having an assigned standing place simply wouldn't work. It would be no different to the way it is now.

Agreed....

[bigimg]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Safe_standing_area_fitted_with_rail_seats.jpg/400px-Safe_standing_area_fitted_with_rail_seats.jpg[/bigimg]

I'd love this at The Etihad.... I'd pay extra just to stand here

bobbyowenquiff said:
Isn't it time we stopped slagging off our own fans. We have plenty of enemies who can do that. It was a great crowd yesterday considering the weather. So what if it was a bit quiet. Our support is still better than 90 per cent of the league. Those who hark back to the glory days are totally wrong. It is a myth to suggest that the atmosphere was better in the 60s,70s, and 80s. It was just the same at Maine Road. Some matches were noisy and others weren't. I started going in 67-68 and, as a child, i went in the Platt Lane. It was half empty most of the time. Our new stadium is brilliant, we have a majestic team, and most of our supporters are fantastic. For God's sake sit back and enjoy the ride!
Nobody is slagging off anybody, really. It's just an observation that many people have made over a few seasons - but specifically this particular season - that we're a very quiet set of fans and could be much more active in being louder. It isn't just about one game against Fulham neither, yesterday was just one of those games that brings to mind how quiet we can be and makes you wonder when the last time we were really vocal around the ground for a good chunk of the game.

Those flags were terrific at the Watford game yet they weren't there yesterday which was a bit disappointing, the more the merrier and the bigger the better in my opinion.

Caveman said:
VOOMER said:
WNRH said:
It's all about opinions at the end of the day but i don't think i am being OTT. Again i am not talking so much about atmosphere where there is loud songs, i am talking about the silent periods which i stand by do not happen anywhere else apart from maybe Reading and Fulham.

Personally, I go becaue I have supported City for 40 years, love watching them and am in my own little world "WATCHING THE *UCKING GAME!", not looking to be entertained by my fellow supporters! Seriously, what is the problem? Atmosphere? What the flying *uck has that got to do with football and life in general? Its was freezeing today, we no longer have standing areas, yet at times the boys played some delightfull football and to be fair Berbaflop had a standout game as well. All this going on at a time when we are heading into yet another dip in the economy. This is a meaningless thread.
Honestly?
Atmosphere and fan participation is as much part of football culture and history as the players and games themselves. Everyone in all forms of football from fans, to the media, to the players and those who work for clubs always talk about great atmospheres and attendances with as much fondness as great wins and games. Fans who are noisy regularly gt great recognition and respect by all.

We're still proud of the fact we have the record English attendance of 84569, and my Dad often tells me about the atmosphere in the European Cup Winners Cup semi final second leg against Shalke (he rarely mentions the game or the score or who scored; he talks about how his ears hurt from the booming noise). Football and attendances and atmosphere are a three-way thing. It's not just about the game and we're not just spectators.

Let's not pretend we're the only club who doesn't care about atmosphere. I guarantee every single fan in the ground would enjoy it all more if the atmosphere was good. People say "but there weren't many away fans/it wasn't a big game/it was cold" but it doesn't stop Turkish fans singing for 90minutes whether there's no away fans or not/it doesn't stop German fans singing no matter how big the game is/it doesn't stop Russian fans singing when it's -18degrees.

I know people will say "but English people are more reserved", but that is just rubbish as well. The atmospheres at the Olympics last year were phenomenal, and I've been to shit loads of big gigs where the crowd are immense and crazy, and I've been to the big clubs in Ibiza where the English are always the most up for it clubbers - it's a myth that English are more reserved. Plus there are sets of fans who raise an atmosphere a lot of the time in England anyway.

We could all do a lot more. When we don't do enough we fall back on poor excuses why we haven't but the fact is we are lazy football fans when it comes to making noise regularly throughout the game.

Yesterday there were a few funny chants towards Joe and the Head&Shoulders advert from the East/South corner and South Stand Level 2 sang the Kun Agüero chant for a good three minutes none stop at the end of the game (not got a clue what's happened to South Stand Level 1, they're a spent force if ever I've seen/heard one!)...but there were about 70minutes of yesterday's game that were pretty much silent. I don't particularly care if that happens at Old Trafford and Anfield as well (for one, at our best we don't match Liverpool at their best) because there are a number of clubs who do raise an atmosphere without prolongued ten minutes of silence in many areas of the country.

We can all do a lot more!

Needed saying this i completely agree! I wont lie but i fink the atmosphere is shocking at the Etihad considering how successfully we have been/are at the moment and the type of football we are playing. We hardly celebrate goals anymore. Its a bit like a cold afternoon at Craven Cottage goal goes in and everyone stands and claps. As for our champions league attendances/ atmosphere well i am sorry but i think both are a complete an utter joke and people our already taking the good times for granted! I recognise we are not as quiet as other grounds but we should aim to be the best both on the pitch and on the terraces. Especially if we want to win the champions league but our fans dont seem that bothered or up for it. WHY?

wilmslowblue said:
Needed saying this i completely agree! I wont lie but i fink the atmosphere is shocking at the Etihad considering how successfully we have been/are at the moment and the type of football we are playing. We hardly celebrate goals anymore. Its a bit like a cold afternoon at Craven Cottage goal goes in and everyone stands and claps. As for our champions league attendances/ atmosphere well i am sorry but i think both are a complete an utter joke and people our already taking the good times for granted! I recognise we are not as quiet as other grounds but we should aim to be the best both on the pitch and on the terraces. Especially if we want to win the champions league but our fans dont seem that bothered or up for it. WHY?

I agree. For people saying that we shouldn't be worried about the atmosphere, that's fine, you can sit and worry about the game, and if you aren't bothered about the atmosphere, why would it affect you if it was good again? Instead of telling people they are being stupid for wanting a better atmosphere, just enjoy the match like you supposedly want to do. For those that want a good atmosphere, me being one of them, we need to do something about it. Safe standing cannot come in quick enough. Convert the whole of either the North Stand or South Stand into a full terrace, and I can quickly see a decent atmosphere returning to the Etihad. As for the idea of people needing to have the safe standing area unreserved, this could so easily be done. Just sell all of the tickets for that stand, say 4000 or whatever it would be, without assigned seats. You can only get in with a ticket, but can stand where you want on the terrace. That way there wouldn't be a crush because it wouldn't be over capacity.

Completely agree with the op here i am in block 116 and the atmosphere was embarrassing yesterday, seems to be getting worse and worse in the games we are expecting to win. A few chants got started but just fizzled out before they could get going. We were shouting over to the blues who were in 115 to stand up and get involved, a few kind of got up and made a bit of noise but most just sat down and didn't really seem interested.

At the end of the day it's down to us and only us that go week in week out to sort it out. Obviously rules and regulations and more middle class types at games have played their part but for me it's more the general attitude of the English, just can't be arsed to get up and make a bit of noise. Makes me laugh how we look at European fans who come over in amazement when all they are really doing is singing and getting behind their team.. (eg. Poznan, Dortmund, Aris) is a drab experience at our place at times considering the success we are now seeing on the pitch and i would say we are definitely heading in the direction of the swamp dwellers over in Trafford and it really breaks my heart to say that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.